Search results

1. HTWillie

JBL L65 and L166 Question

A few years ago I bought an old pair of L-65 grilles that were in pretty bad shape. Horrible "custom" fabric, crumbling corners and even a couple fractures. I have them in the garage somewhere. I'll try and take some pix and measurements tomorrow. Replicating the wood part will be really...
  2. HTWillie

NHT 2.3 a speakers Goodwill score $7.99 each

Very good find! That's one of the few NHT speakers I DONT have.
  3. HTWillie

Decided to dip a toe in the Jamo pool

Jamo has never been very common in the U.S. In 2007 I bought a rather nice Jamo 10" subwoofer that I've used off and on over the years. I just sold it last weekend.
  4. HTWillie

Schiit Fans ?

Jason Stoddard (of Schiit) in his book describes the ABX listening tests they do for comparing their gear. Some people can hear differences easily, others can't, and there's often no rhyme or reason for people's preferences even when they can hear a distinct difference. Most interesting to me...
  5. HTWillie

Cover versions that are better than the original.

Metallica's cover of Whiskey in the Jar. Turns out the song is a few centuries old, so there's not really an original version.
  6. HTWillie

buggy channel on my M-4

Thanks avionic, problem solved! It was indeed the relays. I bought the relays you suggested and had my tech guy put them in. He said the old relays were scorched pretty badly. By the way, do these same relays work in the Yamaha M-45? I bought extras.
  7. HTWillie

buggy channel on my M-4

Thanks a bunch. I remember seeing a few eBay sellers offering compatible relays and they seemed quite reasonable in cost. That'll be my next step. Maybe in a few months I'll have an update!
  8. HTWillie

buggy channel on my M-4

Sorry to keep you hanging! I blame the luxury/curse of having enough "extra gear" that I can live with little failures here and there. After working the pots with DeOxit the problems remained. It was less trouble to swap in an Adcom 545 and ponder other problems with other gear for a while...
  9. HTWillie

buggy channel on my M-4

Thanks for the ideas. I'll report back after I determine if it's A or B or both.
  10. HTWillie

buggy channel on my M-4

Lately I've noticed with my M-4 when the volume is low enough, the left channel cuts off completely. But if I nudge the volume up a bit, the sound comes back at the same strength as the right channel. It's as if there's a minimum signal threshold that needs to be met for the amplifier to work...
  11. HTWillie

Yamaha M4 + C4 few questions.

I too have an M4 and am looking for the 30K pots. Searching the original Yamaha part number (HS410840) led me to several suppliers all saying they have it available. https://www.veritableaviation.com/electronic/rfq/yamaha/hs410840/ https://www.asapsemi.com/manufacturer-yamaha/page4.aspx...
  12. HTWillie

What do you think is the most beautiful amplifier with LED VU meter?

I've always been captivated by the blue Pioneer VU meters. My dad got this when it was new, and it's mine now.
  13. HTWillie

Apt Holman preamp turn-off thump

Thanks GKT, this is really good info. The mute button is the one thing that's never worked in the time I've owned it. When I took it out of service two years ago I was considering getting it serviced, and there's someone I found on the interwebs who offers 3 different tiers of rework. A...
  14. HTWillie

The amp is the plate amp built into the subwoofer, an Ace Bass B2-50. The only way to turn it off is to unplug it or wait a while after there's zero signal. The Apt Holman's only input source right now is an FM tuner, and main output went to the B2-50 subwoofer which has an active crossover...
  15. HTWillie

Recently I put my Apt Holman back into service and it killed my subwoofer. I never noticed before that it had a turn-off thump, but the system it was in before was a completely different setup. Is turn-off thump in the Apt Holman something I have to live with or is it a sign that something...
  16. HTWillie

RCA cable recommendations please!

This is one that I watched:
  17. HTWillie

How often do you fiddle with EQ?

This "as intended" rhetoric should have died long ago in our circles. Perhaps because they have DSP? EQ and tone control there, just buried in the software. I don't tweak much, just set and forget. The knob I reach for now and then is the mix knob on the audiocontrol Phase Coupled...
  18. HTWillie

Correct name for fasteners...

I see them a lot on older car stereo amps, and also Meanwell power supplies. I'm guessing it holds down a spade connector a little better than the screw head alone.
  19. HTWillie

DIN audio specifications

Made sense to me. Thanks!
  20. HTWillie

Hoarder or $eller?

I'm done acquiring gear for now. I've been spending more time lately fixing pieces that are broken and finding jobs for things that haven't been used for a while. The latest project underway is speakers installed in the kitchen.
  21. HTWillie

Yes, it's really stiff. Eventually I'll get some more appropriate cable and redo them. By doing this however, I confirmed where my problem was, and learned just how easy it is to make cables.
  22. HTWillie

Unless you can disassemble and inspect the plug ends internal connections, it's rather impossible to determine if a cable is "well made" or indeed in good shape. I spent the better part of the last two years chasing problems that turned out to be cables. I finally built my own with some...
  23. HTWillie

The more time goes by, the more I prefer separates over receivers

I've got about 5 receivers and plenty of separates. Sometimes it's just convenient to have an all in one box to plug in and play. But having so much functionality in a single box is the biggest downside as well. When one thing fails, the whole thing often becomes useless.
  24. HTWillie

Instruments that you don´t like?

+1 for the harpsichord. And the kazoo, spoons, and anything that isn't really a musical instrument that people improv with.
  25. HTWillie

The closet stash...

I sometimes have the opposite problem where I pull out a piece of gear I haven't used in a while and put it into service. Then I experience whatever problems it was having that made me take the piece out of service to begin with. "I'll fix it later" says me. Famous last words.
Back
Top Bottom