Search results

1. E

DIY Subwoofer

Paul, I either did not see or recall discussions about the sub. Did anyone build one and use it with a "proper amp"? Have you heard them? If not you should come by some time. My system is nothing like what you heard. It's by all accounts "full range and high efficiency". ~25 to >20K pretty...
  2. E

DIY Subwoofer

NJCanuk, I like your equipment :) Paul, Sidney applied to several colleges and was accepted to all. The good news is that USC offered pretty much a free ride! Yep, live at home, tuition free from grants, scholarships, etc. She had a sweet deal available. She left for Clemson on Friday. She...
  3. E

DIY Subwoofer

CD, you have no idea how crazy it is.....Hell, I still have problems getting my head around it. They disappear and will pressurize a room. I've built speakers for >40 years. Built every type of sub you can name, OB, sealed, isobaric, IB TL, horn, in a gazillion sizes. Trust us here, this...
  4. E

DIY Subwoofer

Cdizzle, I see you have trusted Bruce for your amps, how about his opinion? :) Build 2 of these, get a Crown amp, XLS series, they have all the features you need and KICK ASS, build the high level cable.......they will make a mockery of almost anything, if you are looking at a true sub. A...
  5. E

Acoustic Reality Serial Crossover - Help needed!

The first order series xover has very special properties. I use it in my Horn/Heil. Be warned, class D amps may not like a series xover! Here is a good link..... http://sound.westhost.com/parallel-series.htm Ed
  6. E

FFRS Mark 4:20 i. Subwoofer

Ok guys, this will sound like a joke but I promise it is not. This is a serious sub. It's a dumb idea but I'm famous for those. It'll be the best money you ever spent on a DIY project and without a doubt the easiest you ever built. This is a "gift" to the DIY Audio World. It is..... The F'n...
  7. E

The mains etc, the last two meters, how could it matter?

Hey guys, I'll try and make this short and to the point. I have an explanation some may not like. I never believed power cords made a difference. At our party a fellow had some for sale. Simple braided "well wire" with inexpensive plug. My CFA amp will play 20 seconds after you unplug it. There...
  8. E

I did 109 MPH Yesterday evening...Whats the Fastest You've ever Driven?

140 indicated in my Probe GT, with headlights up, around a sweeping curve on I-20. I think she had a little left but I was coming up on my exit. She's got a 100hp nitrous system but I was not on the bottle during that run. I've put more than 250 pounds of gas through her and she now has 260K...
  9. E

Preamplifier with LDR volume & remote?

Thanks Mr. Lin for the edit and not delete! I can get carried away sometimes! And yes, it is very likely that is what happened. Happens all the time and the folks never seem to get why, they just say "my active pre amp has better dynamics" and they are probably right but not for the reasons...
  10. E

A little more......... edit**** Many think that the reason their system sounds better with an active pre amp is because of the gain. This is almost always wrong. The system probably does sound better than most passive preamps but it is the buffering offered by the active preamp, it is almost...
  11. E

An LDR is a "light dependent resistor" a 2 legged device and exactly what the name implies. While many call "optocouplers" an "LDR" that is not exactly right. An optocoupler is an LDR in the same package with an LED. It is a 4 legged device. It seems even people building things with...
  12. E

Hornshoppe The Truth preamp.

Hi guys, and thanks once more for the comments. The balance can certainly be eliminated, for the first year I had not figured out how to do it. When I did I felt really dumb for not seeing it right away. The circuit is the same with or with out it. It does not require a precision or expensive...
  13. E

DIY Deathmatch: SET vs SS Class A

Guys, sorry, I left out an important word....."peaks". My theory is that any real stereo should be able to make 100db peaks at the listening spot regardless of the room size. On program material with good dynamic range a 100db peak can come at a fairly sedate listening level. Sorry for the lack...
  14. E

Hey Guys, I doubt many folks listen at "live levels" for extended periods. That is not the point. A system that can play loudly and cleanly has no downside anymore than a car that can go 150 on a freeway that only allows 70. The point of the post was to try and show that if you are using a...
  15. E

Hey Guys, reading the comments on the 45 vs. 2a3 and speakers caught my attention. I cut and pasted part from a review of "my favorite speakers". Many folks do not have any idea about sensitivity and efficiency and it leads them to bad choices and they do not understand why the choice was bad...
  16. E

Truly Great Pre-amps

Hey Goldear, now you've done it! I have to explain things so no one gets the wrong idea! I certainly did not come up with the concept of using photocells or LDR's which are simply a light dependent resistor or optocouplers which are not LDR'S, by definition but are an LDR and LED encased in the...
  17. E

Truly Great Pre-amps

Thanks guys. I don't have a loaner and honestly can't see having one anytime soon. I have not had a chance to replace mine since I sold it almost 2 years ago! Very sad. My system is only up when I complete one! Maybe this summer? Bigerik, I understand what you mean and it really could be...
  18. E

Truly Great Pre-amps

Thanks guys for the comments. No, it's not pretty, the Truth seldom is. I have a real problem with doing things for "looks". There is no problem at all making it look like a 10K pre amp. It'll just cost a bunch of extra money for no increase in performance. A really, really, nice chassis could...
  19. E

Show us your Motorcycles

My 2 Gas Gas....got both new but old....they were never sold. EC 300 2004 and FSE 450 2005. I've put 5K miles on the 300 and 1600 on the 450. Had the 300 3 years and got the 450 late last summer. The list of gone ones over the years is crazy CR 250, KZ125, CRF230, CRF100, CRF150, XR250L...
  20. E

Hornshoppe The Truth preamp.

Hey Guys, I'm hesitant to respond to posts on forums other than mine because I seem to get accused of "self promotion" regardless of what I write. That said, Thanks for the kind words on The Truth and Horns, we really appreciate it. Anapex, expressed concern about the cells being exposed. I...
Back
Top Bottom