Search results

1. ryanjl

Thinking about Altec

It's sort of what I was thinking, but I wasn't sure if there was another tear I wasn't seeing. I'll let GPA figure it out for me.
  2. ryanjl

Thinking about Altec

Well, as an update to this thread, I've got the wheels in motion. I bought these 414A's on eBay and had them shipped to Great Plains Audio for a re-coning. I have a pair of 802-8D's on their way, as well as a set of both 811b's and 32b's. I plan on determining which ones I like the best...
  3. ryanjl

Thinking about Altec

Anyone?
  4. ryanjl

Thinking about Altec

Still pondering. How persnickety are the Altec drivers? I'm still considering a 414 in a 614 cabinet, but maybe modifying the 614 a little bit. Maybe make it a little taller with the port on the bottom instead of the front (I would build it with legs similar to a Sindo Petite Latour or the like).
  5. ryanjl

Thinking about Altec

That's my Great Dane, Coltrane. Thanks for all your input, everyone. You know you struck something good when so many people are happy to give input, and so many people have so many ideas.
  6. ryanjl

Thinking about Altec

Yeah, I know. But crossovers for the 604 are all over the internet, but getting into custom configurations of mixing and matching different compression drivers with different woofers is where it gets tricky.
  7. ryanjl

Thinking about Altec

Thanks. I messaged Werner Jagusch and he said he could custom make me crossovers for any number of Altec combinations, so that helps a bit. I think I've got some thinking to do.
  8. ryanjl

Thinking about Altec

How do the Valencias compare to the 604's? I have read that the 811 horn can be a bit "shouty," which I don't really care for. Can the 811 horn on a Valencia be replaced with a 32b horn?
  9. ryanjl

Thinking about Altec

Of course, right after I post this, I see a set of Valencias for sale locally for less than half my budget. Not sure if I can get over the console look, however, no matter how good they sound. How big a prick would I be if I got them and put them in different cabinets?
  10. ryanjl

Thinking about Altec

That's what I'm thinking. Considering I know next to nothing about crossover design, I'd be victim to whatever I'd find on the net. The room they'll be going in isn't huge. It's about 15' x 25'; the speakers will be on one of the 15' walls. They'll be powered by a 300b SET amp.
  11. ryanjl

Thinking about Altec

I've got an itching desire for some high sensitivity, vintage Altec speakers, but I'm unsure which direction to go. One route I was pretty set on was a set of 604's in a pseudo 620 enclosure modified to look a bit like a Shindo 604, with some Werner Jagusch (mast_mutter) crossovers. But...
  12. ryanjl

Fall Twangfest Prep already?

FYI, October 10-12 is the dates of the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest, so there may be a lot of people going there.
  13. ryanjl

RMAF Rocky Mountain Audio Fest 2014 - Who's going?

I bought tickets the other day. Will land in Denver around 8 a.m. on Friday and will fly back around 8 p.m. on Sunday. Are there any days that are bigger than others, or are events pretty much evenly spread out over the weekend? Anything happen in the hours before the show opens? Anything at night?
  14. ryanjl

what about these JBL's?

In case you didn't realize, that cost appears to be per speaker, too.
  15. ryanjl

Opening a record store

It wasn't meant to be chronological. By that token, however, it's hard to sell something you don't have. EDIT: I just reread what you posted and realized I may have gotten confused. I think the demand could be there. The 'creating' part is creating the demand from him.
  16. ryanjl

Opening a record store

OP, you may have been thinking of this thread: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=560367 To my knowledge, the guy (or gal) hasn't opened a shop yet. No sense in repeating what others have said in this thread, but to me, the hardest part would be (1) getting inventory, and...
  17. ryanjl

Fisher 800c distortion

Thanks! It will be a few weeks before I have time to tackle this, but I'm reading through other threads right now. I'll snap some photos sometime soon, however.
  18. ryanjl

Fisher 800c distortion

So I'm thinking about going in and replacing all 3 of the can caps. I figured if one is going bad, the others are soon to follow. Even though the shop disconnected the bad one and wired up a bundle of smaller capacitors underneath the top plate to take its place, I think I'm going with Hayseed...
  19. ryanjl

Fisher 800c distortion

My TT is a Thorens 160 with SME 3009 S2 Tonearm and a Shure V15 Type III cart, so for all appearances I'll have 1960's audio sitting on my table. It's currently apart while I wait for the time to rewire the tonearm and hook everything back up. At any rate, this is a long way to say that I have a...
  20. ryanjl

Fisher 800c distortion

Got it back from the shop yesterday. After some diagnosis, they determined one of the big caps was leaking. They fixed that, made sure everything was adjusted correctly, and had it turned around pretty quick. After making few adjustments to the left-speaker banana plug adapters so that they...
  21. ryanjl

Fisher 800c distortion

I'm in Kansas City. I dropped it back off at the shop this morning, however, so I will update here when I hear something from them. Thanks again, everyone!
  22. ryanjl

Fisher 800c distortion

It sounds great at the low volumes. Very similar to the Cary, with maybe a touch more tube sweetness. The limiting factor at this point is probably the Vienna Acoustic speakers. I'm planning on a switch there sometime in the future.
  23. ryanjl

Fisher 800c distortion

No. I'll ask the shop if they tested them or anything. If not, and further testing shows they've crapped the bed, a call to Hayseed Hamfest I will make. I assume those are something I can test myself somehow with the multimeter, though? Anyone care to give a short tutorial? Sorry I'm such...
  24. ryanjl

Fisher 800c distortion

Thanks for the help, guys. Sounds like it's a problem that won't just "go away," and that's what I wanted to know. I'm not above trying to work on it myself (I've got the multimeter, soldering iron, and have done some restoration of SS gear) but I think I'll take it back to the shop first to...
  25. ryanjl

Fisher 800c distortion

Is there someplace on the web that explains how to bias these? I don't know how to tell if there are jumpers from "pin 5 to ground" and "pins 3, 4, 5 & 6" because I'm not really sure where those pins are. If the consensus is that this is a biasing issue, I just assume take this back to the...
Back
Top Bottom