Search results

1. bane.oh

Turntable hum even when unplugged?

Hi everyone. It's been a while since I posted on here. I guess that means my stereo has been working fine for a second. I moved recently and now I have an issue. My turntable is making a low hum, like a ground loop. The weird thing is when I unplug the power I still get the hum. If it was a...
  2. bane.oh

Is my crossover repairable?

Mod please move if this is in the wrong place. I have a pair of KEF 104/2's and the internal woofers on one speaker started cutting in and out. First I noticed if I turned them up, the bass would kick back in. Eventually I narrowed it down to the crossover. I think one of the connections on...
  3. bane.oh

Phasing Question: KEF 104/2

Hi everyone. I will try and make this as brief and simple as possible. I have a pair of KEF 104/2's and I just got the crossovers back from being recapped. I am trying to put them back together but I have an issue. Only one of my internal woofers is a different phase. I know the internal...
  4. bane.oh

Woofer on sub moves when I turn the volume knob. No sound.

I have an old REL I am trying to hook up to a cheap Chinese class D hybrid tube desktop amp and I can't get it to work. If I hook the ground to the chassis of the amp I can make the hum very low, but not gone, but then I get no sound from the REL. Plus when I turn the volume knob I can feel...
  5. bane.oh

The woofer on my sub moves when I turn the volume knob?

I can't get my REL to play with the new cheap Chinese hybrid tube class d desktop amp that I bought off Ebay. It's a Pj.Miaolai M8. it had a hum that I'm pretty sure I traced down, but now it won't play at all. The weird thing is if I put my hand on the woofer under the sub and I turn the...
  6. bane.oh

Need help grounding a REL with a cheap Chinese class D

I recently bought a Pj.Miaolai M8 Hybrid Class D tube amp for my desktop to enjoy a modest nearfield setup consisting of a pair of Realistic Minimus 7's and a REL Q108. I have the REL connected via a Speakon connector and both REL's suggestions for grounding do not work. If I leave the ground...
  7. bane.oh

Strange crackling - Pioneer SX-770

Happy Saturday everyone! My Pioneer SX-770 started making a faint static/crackling noise a few days ago so I assumed it was due for a deoxit bath. I took it out and cleaned all the pots and switches yesterday, they were dirtier than I thought. Actually, the balance knob now feels really rough...
  8. bane.oh

Marantz 2270 pressed power, turned on for 2 seconds then died.

No lights, no relay click. Nothing. Just dead. I have a Marantz 2270 that was professionally serviced around 4 years ago. It wasn't a restoration but a solid refurb. I had it done by Chicago Audio who, in my opinion, is one of the last true old school techs left. Unfortunately I no longer live...
  9. bane.oh

New REL T5/i!! Buzz from SPEAKERS??

I can find a TON of info on how to fix a hum or buzz from the sub itself, but I have a buzz coming from my speakers! If I unplug the REL, it goes away. The REL is hooked up to an Adcom GFA-555ii via the Speakon cable as instructed. The black wire is connected to a black speaker terminal. I...
  10. bane.oh

Opinions on Sunfire Subs for 2.1 Listening?

I have an opportunity to pick up a Sunfire XTEQ8 for $200. I would use it to complement my KEF 104/2's in my main rig. I have heard they are more for home theater use, but some say they are quite musical as well. Is this a good deal? Should I grab it? Otherwise I might just continue to hold out...
  11. bane.oh

Weird pop when mini fridge compressor shuts off

I get a weird pop or boink when the mini fridge plugged in on the other side of the apartment shuts down. I think there is audible distortion when it's running too, but it's hard to tell because I usually don't notice until it shuts down, then there just seems to be more silence in the room...
  12. bane.oh

I think I just broke my stylus

Hey guys, I feel like a total idiot right now. I don't know how all you older folks dealt with turntables in the 60's while high on acid and such. I seem to get sloppy after a couple whiskeys. Anyway, I was playing my brand new, limited Brad Mehldau Live in Tokyo that I just got today. I...
  13. bane.oh

Help with an awkward space?

Hey guys. I am currently in an apartment and I am lucky enough my fiance let's me set up my rig in the living room. The problem is the space. It's an awkwardly shaped room and don't know where to begin. I don't really know much about room treatments, but I do know how sensitive my rig is to...
  14. bane.oh

What class is my amp? SX-770

Hey everyone. What class is the amplifier in my receiver? It's a SX-770. I tried to contact Pioneer but they never got back to me. I am trying to hook up a REL via Speakon so I need to know what class my amp is so I don't blow anything up. Thanks!
  15. bane.oh

REL Speakon cable, can I butcher some AV RCA's?

I just ordered the 4 pole speakon connectors to use with my REL sub. For the cable, can I just butcher an old AV cable I have lying around? You know, the ones with the red, white, and yellow RCA connectors. Can I just chop off the RCA's and attach the Speakon? I don't see any reason why not as I...
  16. bane.oh

Supercube III - Both Amps New, broken bits??

Hey guys, I had both the amps replaced in my Definitive Technology Supercube III subwoofer a little over a year ago. The other day it stopped working. All I could hear was a very very quiet sound coming from the front speaker. I mean, almost nothing, but there was a small amount of sound coming...
  17. bane.oh

Looking for a good deck for a RB250 w/ 2M Blue

Hi, I have a RB250 with an Ortofon 2M Blue cart that I harvested from a donor. I'd like to find a good table that needs an arm and bring the two together. Now obviously any of the Rega tables, or Systemdek, or other Rega clones will work, but are there any other decks that would really shine...
  18. bane.oh

Thinking about buying a P3 with no arm

Hey guys, I have a Rotel RP-900 that is spinning at 34 RPM and I can't figure it out. I have been looking to buy a new turntable, or one without an arm and swapping my RB250 with 2M Blue. I found this P3 on Ebay and it looks like a fair deal, but my question is, would my arm mount directly to...
  19. bane.oh

My bass drivers stop working unless I crank it, WTF?

I have a pair of KEF 104/2's and I started noticing on the right channel, the internal bass drivers will stop working, but if I turn the bass up and crank it, they will come back. I can play them for a while, then they shut off again. It sounds like something is loose to me, but before I take...
  20. bane.oh

ISO A good tech in the San Francisco North Bay

Hey all, I haven't been able to find a good tech/repairman for my vintage equipment since I moved back to Northern California. I live in Petaluma, CA and I know there are a bunch of engineers, hobbyists, and retired techs in the hills out here, I just can't seem to find one. The only repair...
  21. bane.oh

Best all in one TT

I have a friend that wants a Crosley. Let's not let her do that. What are your recommendations for an all in one unit, or something small with good sound. She lives in an SF apartment so size is an issue. Thanks!
  22. bane.oh

KEF 104/2 Midwest Speaker Repair Tweeters bright?

I'd like to start by saying I never owned a pair of KEF 104/2 speakers new. My current pair I bought on Ebay and the woofers had been refoamed and the ferro fluid in the tweeters was supposedly replaced. They always sounded a bit dull to me so I bought the drop in tweeter replacements from...
  23. bane.oh

Power amplifier makes strange sound when powering down

Hi all. I have an Adcom GFA-555ii and when I power it down the right channel makes the strangest sound. I am guessing it's not normal but I'm not sure. Can you guys shine some light on this for me? https://soundcloud.com/bane-1/my-recording-20-convert-to-mp3
  24. bane.oh

Best place to learn electronics and stereo repair for a total noob?

Hi everyone, I have been building my HiFi system for some time now, and I think I am finally satisfied with the results. My system largely consists of gear I have purchased second hand over the years. Most of it has been serviced and upgraded by qualified technicians, but I know with older gear...
  25. bane.oh

How to clean weird spots off Adcom Amplifier

Hi everyone, I recently acquired an Adcom GFA-55ii off CL and wiped it down with windex and these weird white spots appeared! They weren't there before so I am guessing the PO had some sort of dressing on it that covered them up. I used a magic eraser on part of it and it took the spots off...
Back
Top Bottom