Search results

1. D_Zoot

Model 19 popping in output or clipping early

Balance and bias spot on, clean sine wave on a scope all the way to 50w and when it does start clipping on a sine wave (past 50w) the clip is symmetrical. This is what is so perplexing about this, it looks perfect on the bench under test.
  2. D_Zoot

Yes, main filters and all the power supply caps
  3. D_Zoot

Hoping someone has some input on this one, a Model 19 that sounds like it is clipping, much earlier than one would expect. At moderate or higher volumes there are audible pops, more so when the bass hits, happens in both channels, however the pops are independent in each channel. I got the...
  4. D_Zoot

Revox A77 Calibration Tape

That depends on the specific machine we are talking about. Different machines have different adjustment capabilities and calibration steps. In many cases, such as the Revox A77 the original poster was referring to, there are no separate repro adjustments for the 2 speeds, repro adjustments...
  5. D_Zoot

Microsoft SYNC

The unfortunate thing about these systems in vehicle is that there are far too many variables in implementation and they don't always work %100 with every phone and phone OS/software level out there. Make sure your Sync system has the latest software. You can go to the Ford Owners website...
  6. D_Zoot

Restoration and Preservation - Muntz HW-1A + more...

I use a synthetic grease on thrust surfaces, but a little dab of any high quality grease will do the job. Good call on the roller, Terry is top notch and nothing works as well as a fresh pinch roller. I took a quick peek at that schematic, It looks like points 8 and 9, or 19 and 20 if you...
  7. D_Zoot

Problems with Marrs Communication?

There has been a few threads about Marrs in recent history. Over the past few years service has steadily declined to the point where you would be best served to try and reverse the payment and look elsewhere for the belts you need because odds are very good that you will not get your belts...
  8. D_Zoot

Should be doable, I believe the track arrangement and track width was identical to quarter track reel. Tracks 2 and 4 would be in the same direction though, so one would either need a 4 channel 4 track that does 3.75 such as a quadraphonic deck. Or one could transfer tracks 2 and 4...
  9. D_Zoot

I think you are on the right track getting the mechanics working first. - I would disassemble both the motor and the capstan and clean and re-oil them both. A high quality synthetic machine oil, or even "Turbo" oil is preferred over 3 in 1. -In reference to cap, the motor is just an AC...
  10. D_Zoot

2013 Silverado Engine ID

The 3.7 I5 was a decent engine, except there is one pretty major issue that pops up occasionally and that is leaking valve seat(s) causing a check engine light with misfire codes. The bulk of them that had this issue didn't exhibit any symptoms that impacted operation, just the chronic check...
  11. D_Zoot

2013 Silverado Engine ID

You can't really tell by the pics, could be a 4.8, one of 2 5.3 options or a 6.2. 4.8 or 5.3 is most likely, 6.2 less likely. If it has an uplevel trim package it's more likely to be a 5.3 vs a 4.8, but that isn't %100. 8th digit of the vin would ID the engine option.
  12. D_Zoot

'97 Z71 Transmission Woes

Sounds like it stripped the sungear teeth out of the sunshell, not an uncommon thing with those. Getting 143k towing miles out of a stock one already puts you ahead of most. Good news you have a reputable transmission guy nearby, the 60 has its issues, but in the right hands and with...
  13. D_Zoot

Holley carburetor calibration question

Double post - please delete
  14. D_Zoot

Holley carburetor calibration question

It sounds like you have answered the question, the way the vac secondary's work they open gradually as the airflow demands increase. If the airflow demands never require secondary operation (IE the primary is sufficient to meet airflow requirements) the secondary will never open. As to...
  15. D_Zoot

Looking for Akai GX-4000D info...

If you are using eBay as selling venue, or for pricing, check out sold/completed listings instead of asking price. You will probably find good clean fully working units average in the $350 range and parts decks average $150 and under. As with everything on eBay there is the odd one here and...
  16. D_Zoot

My car died

A ruptured transmission cooler in the radiator would allow coolant and transmission fluid to intermix. Thankfully you would not have any contamination of the engine crankcase, so your assessment that the engine is probably OK is spot on. The friction materials in a transmission don't...
  17. D_Zoot

burnt but not open automotive fuses and terminals on one side only

Dodge Front Power distribution centers have not been without problems. Your overheated fuse was in fact caused by a poor connection as previously mentioned. I would not suggest attempting to replace the fuse, the fuse terminal inside the box has also been compromised. Your 2 choices are to...
  18. D_Zoot

Pioneer rt-909 flutter issue, possible 15ips mod, and first time poster

The reason you can bias and EQ at 7.5 and get acceptable results at 3.75 is because the designers of the circuits took the requirements of those 2 specific speeds into account in the circuit design. The 909 does apply different EQ to the 2 speeds, but instead of providing adjustments for each...
  19. D_Zoot

Pioneer rt-909 flutter issue, possible 15ips mod, and first time poster

I don't have an answer for your flutter issue, but in regards to the 15ips conversion, the biggest problem you are going to run in to is that your Bias and EQ will be way out at 15ips and will require modifications of the electronics in order to be able to calibrate the deck.
  20. D_Zoot

I warn people - constantly - but some folks do not listen...

While I understand the pain of your story, blanket statements like this don't help. There are good and bad independent shops, tire shops and dealers, and more to the point, I've seen both hacks and amazingly competent people employed at all of these places. Calling out a bad shop is one...
  21. D_Zoot

Oddball Bang & Olufsen Beocord 8004 pics and questions

Another common use for sync tracks were for automating slide projection presentations. Back when slide projection was common there were several companies that were modifying consumer decks to add the 3rd track for this purpose. These decks were not uncommon in the media departments of...
  22. D_Zoot

Mc 2205 Rebuild Kit

Those auction site kits are generally fine. But I'm with Madd0c, you would do much better to look over the service information and look at the amp itself, make a list and order what you need from Mouser, Digikey, or a similar supplier. Two reasons, first is cost, you can buy the parts in...
  23. D_Zoot

2 Ohm Stable Amplifiers.

Not the easiest amp to find, but the DBX BX-1 will do what you ask.. Stable to 1 ohm, supplies 800 wpc into 2 ohms in two channel mode, 650 wpc into 4 ohms. Stupid amounts of current capability and dynamic headroom. It is a major beast. To quote the owners manual: "In some...
  24. D_Zoot

Technics SA-200 clipping "too soon"

Sounds like a power supply problem, this unit uses a common supply for both channels. Have a look at your +31/-31 volt rails. Easiest way to monitor the rail voltage is at your large filter caps, the 35v 6800uF caps. I'd first investigate for an issue with the D701 rectifier or those...
  25. D_Zoot

RT-707 low recording volume

So if you record a test tone and set the meters to 0db in "source" mode, then switch the deck into "tape" mode the meters read -3db, and both channels are exhibiting the exact same issue? It does sound like a alignment/calibration issue, do you know what the calibrated reference level on...
Back
Top Bottom