Search results

1. rave0035

Radio Shack 250 watt PA Amp - Stuck In Protect

Hi AK! It's been a while since I've had anything on my bench except kit builds or honey-do repairs. When RS was closing it's doors, I picked up an open box 250w PA amp for almost nothing. It is stuck in 'protect' mode, so I'm assuming somebody blew it up right out of the box and returned...
  2. rave0035

Cart Recommendations for PL-530

AKers - I'm in need of a new cart for my Pioneer PL-530 w stock headshell and am looking for recommendations. I've been running a Shure M97xE but the time has for a new stylus and NOS are prohibitively expensive. I tried an N97ED stylus per some recommendations here, and it works OK but I've...
  3. rave0035

Restoration and Preservation Pt II - Cousino Echo-Matic II

Hi AKers - in a recent thread, I talked about my efforts to digitize a mountain of tapes that were part of my grandfather's legacy - the master audio recordings he used on coin-operated and installed animatronic creations he sold across the Midwest. He experimented with a number of different...
  4. rave0035

Restoration and Preservation - Muntz HW-1A + more...

AKers - I need your guidance! As the 'audio guy' in my family, I've been entrusted with the preservation and digitization of a 15-gallon bin full of tapes that are part of my grandfather's legacy - the audio tracks from coin-operated animatronic creations that he built and sold all around the...
  5. rave0035

Case Layout Recommendations

Happy New Year AK! I'm building a Tavish Vintage 6SL7 Phono Pre (thread to come later), and am pretty close to selecting a case for the project. It will be aluminum. The case will need holes in the back for components that connect to/thru the chassis (RCA jacks, power, ground, etc) as well as...
  6. rave0035

2226b Troubleshooting Help

NOTE: Life is busy right now. It may be a day or two between my responses on here! Hi all - first time inside a Marantz, and while I'm impressed with build quality overall serviceability seems so-so. Here's the issue: R channel presents as dead on all inputs. The good news - I don't think...
  7. rave0035

I Am Overthinking This! Suggestions for a kid's setup

Hi! My 7 year old daughter is starting to get into music. I'm really happy about that! But all my audio snobbery is complicating my decision for what to get her. She's got a Fisher Price turntable in room and listens to records every night and on the weekends. Mostly kids records, but...
  8. rave0035

Resto Thread - Heathkit IP-27 Power Supply

It's not technically audio gear, but I figure some folks could use some threads with pics during COVID quarantine. After moving a year ago, I finally have my electronics workbench set up at the new pad and can start SLOWLY working through the pile of projects. This one seemed like a good place...
  9. rave0035

Twin Cities MN - Store to Demo New Bookshelf Speaks?

Folks. Been in the vintage game for a long time, and not sure where to start with new gear! I'm in the market for some new (or like-new) bookshelf speakers to pair with my SX-850 for use in our library / den (12 x 18). Budget is around $400, give or take. Purty veneer is a big plus. Looking...
  10. rave0035

Non-hideous Speaker Stands?

Hey guys - I've got a pair of MTMs I built years ago that I'm trying to dial up the WAF on so they can pass muster after a recent move. They sound great but need to look great, too. My initial searches have left me a little uninspired. Looking for something in the 24" zone, and our decor...
  11. rave0035

Patio Frankenamp - Any reason I shouldn't?

Objective: to easily control the power (on/off), volume, and speaker selector (A/B) on an existing, indoor amp from our deck attached to the back of the house. Facts: I'm a cheap SOB and want to use gear I already have. Plan: Open up the amp, remove the switches and pots mentioned above, and...
  12. rave0035

Whole-House Analog Solution?

Closing on a new house in a few weeks. We're pumped, and I can't wait to start shopping for new gear and getting the house wired for audio :) There seem to be a lot of good, affordable whole-house solutions out there these days if you're looking to run a distribution amp or a multi-room...
  13. rave0035

Need some help... Silvertone Blues

Hey guys… frustrating project that I could use a fresh perspective on. It’s a Silvertone 1485 I’m rehabbing for a friend. It’s one of the most frustrating amps to work on I’ve ever encountered – the layout is awful, the schematic is hard to follow, and the topology is weird. I did a bad...
  14. rave0035

Choosing Relay Values

Working on a project and need a relay... a little overwhelmed by all the variables and choices out there. Need the coil to operate on 5vdc and the latch to be 12vdc. 1.5a at most. Would like something I could mount to a wood panel and solder or use terminals on. Can someone help me narrow...
  15. rave0035

LED Strips and Controllers

Hey guys - wasn't sure which forum this should go in. We're re-doing my daughter's room and she just got a loft bed. Long story short, I want to add some LED strips in a few areas that we can control independently... reading nook, under the bed, ladder lights, etc. My only experience with...
  16. rave0035

Dust Cover Options - PL-530

Folks - I just acquired a minty PL-530 on BT and the dustcover could use some help. I've had decent luck wetsanding in the past, but this is a special table and I think it deserves a new DC. I've unearthed a few options... anyone have any experience with any of these, or other vendors...
  17. rave0035

21st Century Music Libraries

In the past year, I've begrudgingly entered the world of streaming music. I got a Sonos:Connect through BT and absolutely love it. Here's my dilemma - my record collection still gets love, but my digital collection is gathering virtual dust. Since I'm not buying and cataloging digital...
  18. rave0035

Kenwood KD-21 Auto Return Issues

Hi - cleaning up this CL TT for my brother. I've got $30 into it all-in, including a new belt and stylus... feels right. I've managed to work a few issues out on this thing already, but I'm a little stuck (no pun intended!) by the auto-return... it's not functioning properly. Essentially...
  19. rave0035

KD-21 Overhaul

Picked this up for my brother for Xmas. $10. I know it's not a good table, but it's good enough for what he'll be using it for, and it matches his 80's Kenwood system. Does anyone have the service manual for this? The tonearm lift adjustment is a bit wonky and could likely use a re-greasing...
  20. rave0035

Pilot - high B+

Guys - started working on this last spring and let it sit all summer. Full recap on an AA903. No sound, and B+ is REALLY high from the rectifier... 460v (should be 370v). I've checked for shorts and not found anything. Should I suspect one of the filter caps? Mike
  21. rave0035

SX-780 Volume Pot

Hi - my SX-780's pots n' switches have given me a lot of trouble since it came off the bench. The volume pot needs cleaning every few months, and has now developed a 'dead spot' near the low end of the scale. Anybody replace the volume pot in these? Are replacements available? Mike
  22. rave0035

Fela LPs?

Just starting to discover F.K. Looks like most of his releases on vinyl are $$$$, and were mostly African releases. Anybody know of any plans to reissue any of his stuff on LP? It looks like Knitting Factory Records has the license? Mike
  23. rave0035

Heathkit AG-10 - To Recap or Not To Recap?

I've had a great weekend at the bench. Got a few projects buttoned up, and working on getting my test gear and interfaces under control for ease of testing and hookups. I pulled out a Heathkit Sine/Square wave generator I picked up at a hamfest for $15. It was advertised as not working, but I...
  24. rave0035

Amazon Unlimited?

Guys - I'm a bit of a Luddite when it comes to streaming music. HOWEVER, I just picked up a Sonos Connect on BT (hooked up to a 35 year-old Pioneer receiver, of course), and am enjoying it so far. I use Amazon as my digital music dealer, and have a bit of a collection on my Amazon Library. I...
  25. rave0035

Pilot AA-903

Just showing some love for the latest patient. A friend picked this up at some kind of swap or junk sale with the cord cut and a "not working" sign. The B+ lug on the rectifier had a bad solder joint and was actually arcing when I hit it with the DMM probe. New power cord, fresh...
Back
Top Bottom