Search results

1. Paddy Garcia

Pair KEF 104/2 with Crown CE1000?

I can 100% guarantee that the 104/2 will reveal limitations in your electronics. Mine sounded great with an Onkyo TX-108 receiver. Better with a Pass B1 preamp and Adcom GFA-555. Better still with a pair of Bryston 2 amps replacing the Adcom. Better again with an excellent Class D amp. A leap...
  2. Paddy Garcia

Kef 104/2, to KUBE or not to KUBE?

I just plugged asacam's Kube 100 into my system, and it's definitely fun. My speakers are re-capped (Falcon) single binding post 104/2s with ferrofluid serviced and donuts replaced. REW said they were responding to spec down to 55Hz without the Kube, and with it they run down to 25Hz. Haven't...
  3. Paddy Garcia

KEF 104/2 What to do. . .

IMO the KEF tweeter is probably 2/3 of the magic of that speaker. You absolutely must clean and refill the tweeters before making other decisions. If you can use common hand tools without generally ruining things, you can clean and refill the tweeters using instructions here and elsewhere...
  4. Paddy Garcia

Foam panel speakers

An old but good concept. My dad made a set of these in the mid 70's using a rectangular coil and permanent magnets. As I recall they sounded quite nice, especially considering they were made from scrap foam, balsa wood, and Edmund Scientific surplus magnets :)
  5. Paddy Garcia

$10 Garage Sale Score...

I have a set in my garage, they're lovely.
  6. Paddy Garcia

Chicken Plucker

Approximately 450 years ago, Physics III at my university involved a shaggy-dog story about a physicist and a chicken plucker. Lemme know if you find a spherical chicken.
  7. Paddy Garcia

Kef 104/2 refurb or part out?

Ooof. I brought a pretty beat pair back from the dead, but the lack of a tweeter and that cracked midrange cone are very concerning. The midranges are potted into their structure and may be nearly unfixable. That said, GordonW might be able to do something with them. The woofers look good, and...
  8. Paddy Garcia

Mini Dsp

I use a 2x4 in my car system, splitting the output from a Schiit DAC board into F and R channels as well as volume control and EQ. Saved me from having to cobble together stuff and works very well.
  9. Paddy Garcia

What Record Are You Hearing Now?

Finally got my bought-new DP-59L set up again after a decade or two. Forgot what I had been missing.
  10. Paddy Garcia

KEF 104/2 - The speaker gods have spoken

As I've posted elsewhere, the Falcon kit is very nice, but I couldn't hear a difference on the 2 pairs of 104.2s I recapped. My recommendation is to replace foams and ferrofluid and enjoy :)
  11. Paddy Garcia

Backing up the media files. What are you doing to safeguard your music?

I bought an Asustor 3202 NAS/media server last year to to solve just this problem. This box connects to the TV and stereo, and serves content to other devices around the house. Laptops are set to backup to the NAS. It uses a 2 drive array, and it's about time to swap in a new one drive so I...
  12. Paddy Garcia

Analog Optical Recording

Technical issues aside (and probably off-target based on OldADC's background), this very neat solution is a technology/product in search of a problem, which never turns out well. Getting the industry to adopt a new analog format seems Sisyphean at best. Maybe it's not a mass-market product...
  13. Paddy Garcia

Tannoy Stirling Orphan - Thoughts??

I've never heard them, either, but reviews of the Stirling match reputation, efficiency is pretty high- I'd buy & clean up, source a mono tube amp and place in a room that'll benefit from nice ambient audio.
  14. Paddy Garcia

Mission Owners’ Thread

I just last night replaced the binding post on the ugly but nice sounding 732s in my garage.
  15. Paddy Garcia

Adcom, Luxman, Technics amp question

1) If either amp works at all you'll get your $200 back just flipping the one you don't prefer. I'd take the risk at $200, YMMV. 2) From what I see the Luxman and Technics both supports MM or MC cartridges, so you may not need the transformer. It could be that the transformer + MM input sounds...
  16. Paddy Garcia

KEF 104/2 reference

Buying? $500 max. Fully restored can bring $800 or so, but that takes about $200 in ferrofluid, donuts, and capacitors, plus time.
  17. Paddy Garcia

KEF 104/2 vs ADS L710

Your 104s definitely need some service. Hard to tell from your pics if the woofers have foam (late) or rubber (early) surrounds. If foam they are surely dead and should be replaced before any use. The tweeters need a ferrofluid change, and the difference will be night and day. Easy fix if...
  18. Paddy Garcia

B & W Matrix 1s a few days ago and that led to Matrix 3 series II projects

My Matrix 2s are black ash. It's not a super fine look - your black painted top is an excellent patch.
  19. Paddy Garcia

What are you drinking now?

A wee bit of Tyconnell 16yo and a wee bit of Green Spot Chateau Léoville Barton in honor of my sister, while working on her estate and listening to the main system. Slàinte.
  20. Paddy Garcia

B & W Matrix 1s a few days ago and that led to Matrix 3 series II projects

Nice speaker - I've had a pair of Matrix 2s forever and enjoyed Matrix 1s in my office until recently. They do like power.
  21. Paddy Garcia

Price check Altec Verde

Those Ten Tec ham amps have a good reputation. If there are spare 3cx800 tubes for them snap them up (retail for $100s used, around a grand new, but untested I wouldn't pay too much). Any spare 3c1000 tubes from the Hafstrom, same. Spare 3c500 tubes for the Kenwood and Henry amplifiers retail...
  22. Paddy Garcia

Kef 104/2 -- ferrofluid renewal

The stock feet are double-purpose: wide plastic covers pull off to reveal narrow spikes, so what you use depends on your situation. You could use M6 bolts if you want to save some $. Another vote for the parts express ferrofluid - that's all you need.
  23. Paddy Garcia

KEF owners thread

There are discussions of which ferrofluid to use, as the original is apparently NLA. I used the Ferrotec (Kef OEM) universal fluid sold through Parts Express. The anorak set will undoubtedly shiver at the notion, but they sound good and it'd be easy to swap in future. Having recapped 2 pairs...
  24. Paddy Garcia

KEF owners thread

I don't think that center seals - you can clearly see the top of the center tube and can see the cone between the tube and fake-o bake-o donut.
  25. Paddy Garcia

KEF owners thread

Those donuts are easy to replace, although you do have to pull the drivers. Easy job but a bit time consuming. The bottom driver needs to be desoldered to come out completely but can be worked over next to the cabinet if needed. While you're in there you should also replace the ferrofluid in...
Back
Top Bottom