Search results

1. mhjmhjones

Turntable (or something) has started tripping a relay (assumed) in my receiver when the needle drops

I had some time to work on this morning. No luck. Not yet anyway. I connected to Sansui to a different power strip and a different outlet altogether (running an extension cord through the middle of the living room - wife loves). I swapped out the interconnects going from the ZPhono to the...
  2. mhjmhjones

Turntable (or something) has started tripping a relay (assumed) in my receiver when the needle drops

I am going to try this plan of attack. I did a lot of system tweaking - hooking up new components, maybe swapping out interconnects, adding HDMI interconnects around the same time. I can't for the life of me remember when the problem started in relation to when I did all that tweaking.
  3. mhjmhjones

What should I look for in a subsonic filter? Would this one work?: https://www.amazon.com/Harrison-Labs-Inline-Subsonic-Crossover/dp/B00S8XXYHC/ref=sr_1_2?crid=A4MU7H3C2MKL&keywords=subsonic+filter&qid=1643724501&s=electronics&sprefix=subsonic+filter%2Celectronics%2C46&sr=1-2 I am now toying...
  4. mhjmhjones

Good points. I wasn’t sure if there were different relays for multi-room and the main speakers. I don’t even know what a relay is to be honest. I was just thinking about it - we haven’t ruled out that the problem could be a subsonic noise issue with the turntable. No idea what to do about that...
  5. mhjmhjones

I was aware that only analog sources can be used for multi-room. I used the Parasound in this configuration for a few years with no issue. I always believed that I can only use the analog inputs as opposed to the HDMI inputs or the optical/coax digital inputs. I have a feeling something is...
  6. mhjmhjones

I have a Sansui Au-888 powering 4 ohm AR-3a speakers in zone 2. There is “Multi-room & Source” RCA analog output on the pioneer. It feeds the Sansui through a decent interconnect going into the Sansui’s Aux input. I bought the Sansui from a man who at one time had the goal of owning “every...
  7. mhjmhjones

I have figured out that the problem only occurs when the second zone is on. I just played Welcome to the Machine in zone 1 (advents powered by the pioneer) and the problem did not happen. I think when I initially thought I had solved the problem it was because I was playing the music in zone...
  8. mhjmhjones

Why yes, the Pioneer is plugged into a Sears power strip (an older, metal type) with six outlets. The other 5 are used for the Sansui, the ZPhono, a Bluetooth receiver, the SACD, and the bluray player. I am outlet challenged in this old house. I'll plug a photo in here. in a minute. Oh wait...
  9. mhjmhjones

OK Tried that. I think you're right about something being amiss! I connected to the CDR/TAPE/MD input and selected PURE DIRECT - still happens. An interesting development is that when it happens, I just noticed the screen on the front very briefly says "err" and then it switched to STREAM...
  10. mhjmhjones

Well, I connected to both the CD input (which I use for my CD) and the CDR/Tape/MD input and it happened on both inputs. There is a sound effect that happens twice at the beginning of Welcome to the Machine that triggers the problem faithfully (the sound occurs twice in the intro right before...
  11. mhjmhjones

More or less around the same time but I tinkered with a lot of other stuff around that time (Christmas holiday). But earlier today, I put the old stylus back on and the issue persisted. I also started using an ultrasonic cleaner (using a mix of wetting agents, etc. I got from a discussion on...
  12. mhjmhjones

Best I can do (I think) is the CDR/Tape/MD input. I don't have an AUX input.
  13. mhjmhjones

I will try that. I've had it hooked up this way for several years and the problem just started a few weeks ago. But I'm willing to try! I'm really hoping this can remain a DIY project.
  14. mhjmhjones

How do you fix a subsonic noise problem? As far as I can tell, there are no electronics in the TT, It's all mechanical and basic switches, but I'm very low on the electronics skill scale. Something like this...
  15. mhjmhjones

I just ran that test again at it went up to 93 DC Detections but overload detections remained at 39. When I google "Pioneer DC detections" the results are all service manuals and my service manual doesn't say what that means or how to fix it. I do use the multi-room function on this receiver...
  16. mhjmhjones

The only thing to fiddle with on the ZPhono is an AC Polarity switch which has "normal" and "invert" options. It is currently on "normal". It also has a MM/MC switch, which is set to MM. If I flip the MM/MC switch while music is playing, it triggers the receiver. I just flipped the AC...
  17. mhjmhjones

I put the old stylus on and it still happened on the same parts of Welcome to the Machine - happens during this static-sounding effect near the begging of the song. I will check for cone flapping my next break.
  18. mhjmhjones

I was listening to phono in STEREO setting - switched to Stream Direct. Now I know what that listening mode is for and will read more about it. Cheers and thank you! Unfortunately, it didn't solve the problem. It happened when the stylus dropped on the record I am playing now. It made it...
  19. mhjmhjones

What can cause subsonic noise from a cartridge? It's a Nagaoka MP110 that is about 2-3 years old. I just put a new stylus on it back in December. Could it be the stylus?
  20. mhjmhjones

So the problem seems to have come back, but to a lesser degree, I think. Now, it is happening more when the stylus is lifting off the vinyl at the automatic return at the end of the record. I haven't played the Oliver Nelson record that was giving me the most trouble since the time I played it...
  21. mhjmhjones

Instructions on how to do that are on page 196 of the service manual. I might have time to get to that today, and will report back with my results. Thank you very much for looking that up!
  22. mhjmhjones

I don’t have the service manual but I’ll find it. especially if the problem comes back. Thanks to all who have helped out so far!
Back
Top Bottom