Search results

1. mhjmhjones

Bogen V250 Power Vector Amplifier - what can it do?

Hello, I recently salvaged a Bogen V250 Power Vector amplifier and I am perplexed by this thing. User manual is here. Does this amp have any functionality in a stereo system? The connections are all foreign to me. The manual is above my skill level, but I gather there are modules you can...
  2. mhjmhjones

Photo Flo - what is its purpose and how do you use it? Rinsing? Washing? Both?

I now have a bunch of different cleaning agents, etc. and the amount of information and recipes I've found here on AK outnumbers the grains of sand in my truck after a surf fishing trip. I'm trying to figure out where I need to add the Photo Flo in my ultrasonic cleaning process. Do I add it...
  3. mhjmhjones

Turntable (or something) has started tripping a relay (assumed) in my receiver when the needle drops

Edit: this problem doesn’t just happen when the needle drops. It also happens from time to time while a record is playing. It happens on some records more than others. If I very slowly drop the tone arm, it is less likely to happen than if I just flip the lifting lever down. This just started...
  4. mhjmhjones

Better audio signal from Component to AV receiver - HDMI, digital or analog RCA?

I have a blu-ray player and a DVD/SACD players that are connected through my receiver to my TV via HDMI. The audio signal is coming through the HDMI but the players also have digital and component outputs. I send the video signal through the HDMI, but is it possible to send the audio separately...
  5. mhjmhjones

Anyone else notice a slight hiss when playing a hybrid SACD in a regular CD player?

I was running a bunch of tests last night and noticed a faint hiss playing a MOFI SACD on a Marantz CD player - am I going crazy or is that a common occurrence?
  6. mhjmhjones

SACD players or discs are giving me fits - trouble playing or loading. Please help!

My problem is I don’t have a big budget so I keep buying used players on eBay. I can’t seem to get all of my SACD discs to play on my 5.1 players. Right now I have 2 Pioneers: DV-45A (my original player) and DV-49AV which arrived today and is likely going back - seller provided inaccurate...
  7. mhjmhjones

Marantz CC4300 carousel CD player makes grinding noise when spinning CDs - please help!

The metal disc part indicated with the arrow in the photo is what makes the noise. I forget what that part is called specifically, but it is metal and it has a magnet (can be seen through the three round holes) that sticks to it. The center hole of the CD is basically centered on those discs...
  8. mhjmhjones

What is the best forum on here to post questions about a 2001 Denon AVR-4802 receiver?

I want to get opinions and a few answers about a Denon AVR-4802 that I just got as a gift. I usually post on the maker-specific forums or the turntable forum. I am going to give it a try swapping out my Pioneer VSX-81TXV, which has served me very well. I use my current receiver as a source...
  9. mhjmhjones

Dual 1229 developed a hum overnight - thoughts please!

Recently, my 1229 developed a hum. It used to be fine and I didn't make any real equipment changes before the hum developed - so it worked without a hum in the past with the current configuration. My 1229 has RCA male plugs underneath - king of on a small flimsy board and they are really close...
  10. mhjmhjones

Does it matter which ground I have my turntable connected to?

I have a Dual 1229. The cables from the Dual go into a Parasound ZPhono preamp, which feeds into my Pioneer receiver. There is a second zone out of the Pioneer that I feed into my Sansui AU-888 integrated amp. I currently have the turntable ground connected to the Sansui ground. I seem to...
  11. mhjmhjones

AR-3a pot repair question

One of my pots has been giving me problems. I rebuilt these speakers a few years ago, including cleaning and rebuilding the pots. There is no corrosion currently and you can still feel the deoxit on there. My questions are: is that metal part I am touching with my index finger supposed to be...
  12. mhjmhjones

Salvaged a pair of Infinity Reference 2000.3 speakers and found THIS inside! Can I FIX this driver?

Sorry for the clickbait title but I’m not down with all the speaker jargon, so my vocabulary is limited. Someone had left these speakers on the curb. Shortly after we got over 3” of rain in under a half hour, and lost power for 19 hours, I drove by, spotted them and double back to pick them...
  13. mhjmhjones

AR-3a: Is there a way to treat/condition the pots without taking the speaker apart?

The pots on my 3as are starting to give me some problems and I was wondering if anyone has had any luck rehabbing the pots without taking the speaker fully apart. About two years ago, I recapped the speakers and rebuilt (disassembled, vinegar soak, cleaned, DeOxit & DeOxit contact conditioner)...
  14. mhjmhjones

Best songs for testing bass response?

I put some new woofers in my Large Advents and want to give them a workout, so let me have it!
  15. mhjmhjones

Large Advent woofers - how to tell which post is negative or positive?

Getting ready to install new old woofers with the masonite frame. Is there an easy way to tell which post is which? Thanks!
  16. mhjmhjones

Questions about Pioneer DV-45A SACD, On-Screen Menus and connecting to a Pioneer Elite Receiver

Expert-level questions to follow. SACD/DVD: Pioneer DV-45A (ca. 2001-2005) (no HDMI out) Receiver: Pioneer VSX-81TXV (ca. 2008) I recently bought the DV-45A to use as an audio (SACD/DVD-A) device. The DV-45A uses on-screen menus (visible on your TV screen) extensively. As far as I can tell...
  17. mhjmhjones

Marantz CD 5-disk changer CC4300 drawer belt broke - where to order a replacement?

Hello! My CD drawer stopped opening. Found that the drawer opening mechanism belt had broken. Here’s the broken belt: The belt circumference is 5.5 inches/ 14 cm. It is roughly square in profile. Here is where the belt goes: My questions are: What belt do I need to get? Where can I...
  18. mhjmhjones

How bad did I screw up? (Large Advents)

Years ago before I knew much of anything about hifi, I used to have parties out in the barn. I bought a pair of Large Advents from a coworker (edit: for $50) because I needed something loud for out in the cold barn. Next year rolls around and it's time to have another party. I fire up the...
  19. mhjmhjones

How would a Sansui AU-555A do with a pair of Acoustic Research AR-3a speakers?

Here's the manual: https://www.hifiengine.com/hfe_downloads/index.php?sansui/sansui_au-555a_service.pdf The AR-3as are 4-ohm. The Sansui manual says they can drive 4-ohm speakers. I'm just looking for some opinions from the experts. Thanks!!
  20. mhjmhjones

If one of my channels go bad, is it usually the relay? What other culprits should I look for?

My right channel stopped producing sound. I haven't done a full check yet, but I'm pretty sure the problem is my receiver. It's not the speaker wires, almost definitely not the speaker. Thanks in advance!
  21. mhjmhjones

What does this mean regarding speaker impedance?

From my amp's user manual: When speaker are connected to both A and B terminals, they should have a rated impedance in the range of 8 –32 Ω. Does that mean the combined impedance each speaker's impedance? Thanks for explaining this to me!
  22. mhjmhjones

Any Dual users with idler wheel drives use a record weight?

If so, how well did it work? How heavy was the weight? Did the wheel struggle with the additional weight? What kind of weight do you have? Thanks!
  23. mhjmhjones

Pioneer Elite left channel, B speakers stopped working, worked again, then stopped working again

My original post here was deleted because I also asked it in a different forum - didn’t know I couldn’t do that! This receiver has served me well for many years - first problem with it. I use the surround back/B speaker outputs to drive two pairs of 8-ohm bookshelf speakers running through a...
  24. mhjmhjones

Intermittent/non-functioning speaker B channel output from Pioneer Elite VSX-81TXV

I posted this in the Pioneer Forum page, but I also respect the opinions of non-Pioneer people, so I’m posting it here too. This receiver has served me well for many years - first problem with it. I use the surround back/B speaker outputs to drive two pairs of 8-ohm bookshelf speakers running...
Back
Top Bottom