Search results

1. S

The Blacklist Series Finale

Warning! This contains spoilers. So disappointing. It left us hanging with many unanswered questions. In particular, the questions created by the bombshell the writers dropped around season five or six, they revealed that the man we knew as Raymond Reddington was an imposter. The real...
  2. S

Yearly Power Up of Receivers

I read that running amps and receivers once a year is supposed to help preserve the electrolytic capacitors. I haven't found any articles to confirm this, so it could just be audio mythology. Anyway, it's something to do and it's nice to get reacquainted with the sound of the equipment. Well, I...
  3. S

Music Collection

I planned on leaving my record and CD collections to several friends when I die, but unfortunately, they went first. My second thought is to have a post on this website for anyone living near Pittsburgh. They could have for free about 1,500 LP's and twice that many 45's and close to 800 CD's...
  4. S

Remote Controls

It seems like this would be the forum to post. Anyway, it seems that no matter what the brand of the universal remote, they all eventually have trouble, buttons not working or sticking. The learning remote I had was experiencing this, and upon opening it up, I found an oily(?) liquid on the...
  5. S

Why do some DVDs Go Bad

I've run across some DVD's that played perfectly when first bought but years later will have artifacts or other problems. It can't be the environment because so far I've only run across a few, and in every case, it happened to a disc in a box set (TV series). I've noticed that most of the box...
  6. S

Prices of Turntables

With the renewed interest in records, I am seeing the prices skyrocket at the local thrift store. A good example: a Scott TT missing the front feet priced at $150! Anyone else seeing the increases or is it just my local thrift?
  7. S

Never Encountered This Before With The Stylus and Cartridge

I periodically check the stylus for wear under a microscope and am very careful when I handle it. So, I was surprised when I inserted the stylus assembly back into the cartridge and found that one channel was dead. I checked the wires to make sure nothing was unplugged and then removed the...
  8. S

Playing a Cracked Record

I picked up a 45 yesterday that has two one inch cracks about a half of an inch a part leading in from the outer rim. Usually, I pass up something like this, but it is a record I have been hunting for for years. My intention is to align the cracks and play it once to record to CD, but there is...
  9. S

The Record Collectors Guild is Back!

Though there are other threads on the RCG, I thought that its recovery justified a separate thread. As the title says, it is up and running and it looks like the past threads from the original forums were imported into the new one.
  10. S

Powered Up Stored Receivers

Some time ago, I read an article that recommends powering up and playing receivers and amps at least once a year. It's supposed to help preserve the electrolytic capacitors. So, last Monday I performed the yearly ritual. The Harmon Kardon 330B, Sansui 771, and a Denon receiver stood out as...
  11. S

KEF C 75 Speakers

I just saw these in the thrift store today. The cabinets seem to be made really well and the surrounds are intact. They are two way speakers but both drivers are woofers. I didn't see any tweeter when I removed the grill, maybe it's located elsewhere, but if it's only the two drivers, I can't...
  12. S

Record Collectors Guild RIP

Anyone that was a member is probably aware that this website was killed by a bunch of xxxxx (two syllable word, first rhymes with gas the second with mole) flooding it with automated spam. Trying to contact the people who took over the Guild is useless. I am beginning to wonder if the retail...
  13. S

Converting From One Digital Fromat to Another

When ripping a CD to a lossless WAV file or vice versa, is the data from the CD copied exactly to the WAV file format or does the numeric code go through a conversion process? If a conversion process, how much does this alter the fidelity to the original recording? An analogy might be...
  14. S

Recording With a Laptop

I was looking into buying a USB sound card with RCA connectors. I talked to a tech regarding one I was interested in, but they were out of stock. However, he asked why I wanted it, and then said that the sound cards that come with laptops made in the last three years have been greatly...
  15. S

Something Interesting at the Thrift Store Recently

I ran into an old Hitachi SR 2001 receiver and later some B&W bookshelf speakers. I tested the Hitachi out with some old Panasonic speakers that were apparently part of an old portable compact system (CD, tuner, tape) and it sounded good even with these cheap speakers. Now, here's the...
  16. S

The Crickets

They made some very good music on Liberty after the death of Buddy Holly. I have two albums and one single by them. It's amazing that they did not chart. I believe only one song is listed, and that's in Joel Whitburn's, "Bubbling Under the Hot 100". It came in at 145 as I recall. Too bad...
  17. S

What Happened With the Record Collectors Guild?

The entire website has been revamped and the forums are gone. I was able to get a link to the forums through Google, but the login is disabled and the current date is back in October. I never received an email about this change and unless I missed it somehow, there was no announcement on...
  18. S

Panasonic Speakers

In the thrift store, I always see Panasonic Thruster speakers. Now, they always have looked low end, but last week I saw a pair that was different. The cabinets were really build solid and IIRC were made of real wood. The back had terminal screws and a stated max power of 60 W. Upon...
  19. S

Overrated Albums

What albums do you think are overrated? I ran across a used CD the other day at the thrift store, King Crimson's "In The Court of The Crimson King", and was able to sample the tracks on a CD player in the store, and frankly, I just don't get what is so great about it. I found the music...
  20. S

Kossfire 210

I saw these in the thrift store, floor standing speakers with a front port, two angled tweeters, midrange, front controls for the tweeters and midrange, and at least ten inch woofers. From what I could find, they were made in the early 80's, unfortunately, no reviews. Anyone know about the...
  21. S

Speakers Manufactured by Audio Technica

I ran across these the other day at the thrift store. They were large squares standing about one inch off of a square base of the same dimensions. They were called Direct Point, were two way, had a dial for adjusting the crossover, and had a DP logo on the grills. I was able to test them. The...
  22. S

Sony STR VX5

This is my first post at this site and hopefully I'm posting in the right forum, couldn't find one for Sony. (Please excuse if this post duplicated.) I recently pulled this out of storage. I got it at a thrift store 2 to 3 years ago and it checked out OK then. While testing it using its...
  23. S

Sony STR VX5 Receiver

This is my first post at this site and hopefully I'm posting in the right forum, couldn't find one for Sony. I recently pulled this out of storage. I got it at a thrift store 2 to 3 years ago and it checked out OK then. While testing it using its tuner, there was a high pitched hum/buzz...
Back
Top Bottom