Search results

1. longle

Tubed audio and the heat

Spec'd to operate from 90 to 117vac so 110 is just about in the middle. Keep in mind the voltages spec'd on the schematic were spec'd at 117vac. Running slightly lower (but within operating specs) creates no issues while running higher does.
  2. longle

Best way to connect a Sony BRAVIA X900F to JBL SCS136 surround sound system

Since the Sony X900F has an ARC port (according to the specs I found) you might want to look for a sound system with an ARC capable HDMI port. Frankly I've never had a satisfactory experience with an optical connection and that was no different when I got my Sony Bravia KD-65X85J. I switched to...
  3. longle

What receiver do you have that is irreplaceable

Technics SA-616, 80wpc. Heavy bugger at 40lbs. Promoted as a Class A amp it draws 500 watts at 120vac.
  4. longle

Why is freakin solder so expensive????

As some folks have already mentioned, yard sales and flea markets are a good bet. I buy any decent spool I find and never pay much. I picked up a spool of silver solder for a buck a while back. I haven't store bought any in many a moon.
  5. longle

Tubed audio and the heat

I run all my gear, tube and SS, thru a bucking transformer. It knocks line voltage down approx 10-12 volts and makes a noticeable difference in heat generation. Everything runs cooler. For an example, Fisher had a habit of pushing the output tubes to near max and that was on equipment spec'd to...
  6. longle

Fisher Consoles 1959-1965

That's not quite accurate. For instance, the Fisher 1959 President III featured two 15" bass, two 8" mids, and four high frequency for a total of eight speakers. The system has 42 tubes in five seperate chassis' and is rated at 140 watts. If you want to rattle your windows with a Fisher this'll...
  7. longle

Pictures of Cats on Audio Gear

Is Franklin a male Tortie? That's incredibly rare if it is!
  8. longle

Your First Serious and Current attempt at High End Audio!

Probably not high end by some folks standards but my current system is: Technics SA-616 Polk Audio LS-50 speakers Kenwood KD-2000 TT w/Grado Prestige Black cart Considering the SA-616 sold for $680 new in 1980 ($2200 in 2021 dollars) it would have been a pipe dream back then. ;)
  9. longle

Kutztown Radio Show Spring 2021

https://john-h.smugmug.com/Kutztown-XLIII-Spring-2021-Vaccination-Nation/
  10. longle

Mongrel garage set-ups!

Thanks. I also have it's sister unit. Same stereo in a different cabinet and in a bit nicer condition.
  11. longle

Mongrel garage set-ups!

My garage (actually my tractor shed) unit, 1965 Magnavox 1RP655 stereo console (40 watts). Nothing fancy but gets the job done.
  12. longle

What are you listening to right now and on what speakers

Listening to Liszt's Les Preludes, Paul Paray & the Detroit Symphony Orchestra on the Mercury Olympian Classics label LP (1953). Kenwood KD-2000 w/Grado Prestige Black cart Technics SA-616 receiver Polk Audio LS50 speakers.
  13. longle

Recommended TT PreAmp?

I have an ART DJPre II that I use with my older systems and find no fault with it.
  14. longle

The only thing I picked up was a pair of Polk LS50 speakers to go with my Technics SA-616. Here's my temp setup just to check them out. Actually sound pretty good for older technology.
  15. longle

Although, after many years, I no longer set up I'll still be stopping by on Friday. Look for the old coot in a cowboy hat. I'm the Rocketeer guy.
  16. longle

The worst piece of HiFi Equipment you've ever owned?

A 1977 Magnavox 6446 console that was gifted to me. Ya ready for this? 6 WPC! Barely enough to move the speakers. :boring: I hate to junk stuff but this may be the exception.
  17. longle

The greatest amps circa 1977-80?

New Class A type receivers Technics SA-616 (80wpc) and SA-818 (110wpc) made only in 1980.
  18. longle

Who made the best vintage audio?

I've had/have Fishers, Pioneers, and others but the Technics SA-616 I picked up recently simply blows everything else out of the water. However, quality is in the ear of the listener so go with what sounds best to you.
  19. longle

What's your poison?

I voted for Classical but it's actually a tie between classical and big band music, mostly swing. We got our first Hi-Fi console in the mid 1950's and one day my dad brought home a stack of classical 78 folders. Been hooked on it ever since but in 1954 I saw "The Glenn Miller Story" and fell in...
  20. longle

Ever turned 100,000 miles over on a Car

The current stable, 2001 4Runner - 148,000 2005 Santa Fe - 179,000
  21. longle

The BEST car song not recorded by the Beach Boys

OK, gonna show my age here - "Willy and the Hand Jive" by Johnny Otis. Cruising down the street in your 1950 Ford convert with the top down and the radio cranked up. Yeah baby!
  22. longle

Show us your Technics stuff

I picked up this minty 1980 Technics SA-616 at a flea market this week. Quite the thumper at 80WPC!
  23. longle

How many vintage receivers do you have?

Well now let's see, all told about about 6 units: Technics SA-200, SA-303, and SA-616 Fisher D-393 (console) Magnavox 2RP633, 1RP655 (consoles) Technics SA-616
  24. longle

Show us your Technics stuff

Nice 630. I've been trying to find a decent 630 or 631 for a while to go with my SA-303 but no luck. Envious.
Back
Top Bottom