Search results

1. longle

Empire XL15 21E cartridge and where it fits in?

I picked up another Dual 1237 and it had an Empire XL15 21E cartridge mounted. There are several sources that suggest the XL15 series are clones of the 66 series so after more searching, comparing, and trying to determine where the 21E fits in the heirarchy I'm wondering if the suggested...
  2. longle

Shure M91ED vs ADC QLM

All other things being equal, what's the better choice? My understanding is that the stylus for the Shure M91ED are readily available but the stylus for the ADC QLM are less than plentiful. Other than that I'm not sure how they compare. Any insight would be much appreciated.
  3. longle

Mounting template for a Dual 1237?

Anyone have a mounting template for a Dual 1237 TT they could email to me? I'm also looking for a stacking spindle if someone has an extra laying around. Thanks.
  4. longle

Mystery cartridge on a Kenwood

Not a big deal but I'm wondering what the cartridge is that is mounted on a Kenwood KD-2000 I recently picked up. Also wondering what the missing stylus might have been. I don't recognize the blue. Ideas?
  5. longle

BSR UA70 vs BSR UA70/2

Does anyone know what the difference is between these two BSR turntables (If any)?
  6. longle

Found a Fisher D-393 Diplomat

I picked up this excellent 1968 Fisher D-393 Diplomat yesterday from the original owner, in beautiful working condition. Sorry for the poor phone camera photo. I'll post some better one's after my son helps unload it from the 4Runner on Saturday.
  7. longle

Where does an AT-28E fall in the hierarchy of Audio-Technica cartridges?

The Pioneer PL-112D TT I picked up came with an Audio-Technica AT-28E cartridge mounted on board along with a grey stylus. Where does the AT-28E rank in the hierarchy of Audio-Technica cartridges? Top, bottom, somewhere in the middle, good, bad, indifferent?
  8. longle

Pioneer PL-112D odd problem

I picked up a Pioneer PL-112D TT and it has an odd problem. Before I open it up I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction to look. I've already had the platter off and checked underneath it as well as replaced the belt. Here's what it does. With the platter and mat on she turns...
  9. longle

C-810, best guess, what veneer is this?

The code on the rear tag is C-810-P but according to the Fisher Console site the "P" code isn't documented for this model. It's obviously not Mahogany and to me it's not red enough for Cherry so what's the guess for the undocumented code "P"?
  10. longle

Which TT to keep as a backup?

I know neither of these TTs are in the audio Hall Of Fame but I want to keep one simply as a backup and probably sell the other. Both are in excellent condition. Which would be the better one to keep? Technics SLB-2 with an Audio-Technica TC-236EP cart Pioneer PL-112D with an...
  11. longle

General Electric RC-3230 stereo console

I picked up this 1962 GE stereo at an auction this week for $4. There's good, and not-so-thrilling aspects to it. The good: 11 tube with a pair of 7189A in push-pull output. Cabinet is in real nice condition with the exception of the speaker grilles (should clean up). It's never been...
  12. longle

C-810 Contemporary II crossover caps?

I can't read the markings on mine and would like to order replacements before removing the old ones. Any chance someone has already done a C-810 and might remember what the ratings were? Thanks, Larry
  13. longle

C-810 Contemporary II, R-30S problem

I have this system setup with an external TT for only a couple of weeks and basically every record I have tested out up until now was Hi-Fi but not stereo. What I found out today, with my first attempt at playing a stereo LP, was that the B input is dead on both the Phono and Aux inputs of the...
  14. longle

Opinions on saving or stripping a 610-ST chassis

I picked up a Fisher 610-ST chassis at a radio show. No tubes, no shields, no knobs, and no bulbs. The guy wanted $5 so I grabbed it because I could see the dual volume control had been replaced with a nearly new replacement and I thought perhaps it would fit my R-30S chassis. After comparing...
  15. longle

Picked up a Sansui SR-1050C

I picked up a Sansui SR-1050C TT this weekend. It has the original Sansui cartridge and stylus. Good, bad, so-so? Larry
  16. longle

SONY R2R motor cap replacement

If this was posted before, I apologize. There's a seller on eBay selling replacement motor caps that have the correct specs for the SONY (and maybe others) R2R's. Here's a link along with a pic of the one I received. You can see the specs in the pic. I won't get a chance to install it until...
  17. longle

Kenwood KD-2000

I picked up this Kenwood KD-2000 TT this week in full working condition with a nearly new Grado Prestige black pickup. I cleaned it up and decided to check out the basic settings. First thing I noticed was that the cartridge was angled slightly toward the outside and I wondered why. I then found...
  18. longle

Using a reel-to-reel with an R-30S chassis or similar

Has anyone ever connected an R2R to an R-30S chassis, or one similar? This is in a C-810 Contemporary II. If so, what did you use and how did you connect it? How did it perform? Larry
  19. longle

Fisher by BSR

In searching info on turntables I noticed there is a small line of free-standing Fisher changers marked "Made by BSR". Models like 215-X, 220-X, and 225-XA. I assume these are late in the original Fisher ownership. Decent changers or avoid like the plague? Larry
  20. longle

Astatic N50SD cartridge and needle questions

I believe this cart is an Astatic N50SD but am not certain about the needle(s). My old eyes ain't what they used to be but I can't determine any significant size difference between the two needles. Is this a two sided LP needle (no 78)? If not, which side would be for 78? One side of the lever...
  21. longle

Garrard R.121/Mk.II turntable intermediate wheel size?

I suspect the intermediate wheel on the turntable is worn and causing a problem with 78rpm not apparently making full contact with the rim. This one measures 2.25" wide. Otherwise it's in good condition and I don't want to spend money on a replacement if it's not necessary and my problem is...
  22. longle

My C-810 Contemporary II console

It's probably a good idea to start a thread specific to this console rather than continue to start new threads for each problem, issue or success. If this isn't the way it's done on AK please let me know and I'll make changes. This is a 1959 C-810 Contemporary II console with the R-30S...
  23. longle

Restoring C-810 knob brights

The knob brights on my Fisher C-810 console were corroded and discolored. No manner of polishing helped (I had removed each from the knob) so I took fine steel wool and used that to clear the corrosion and level the surface. Then I painted them with two seperate coats of Valspar Metallic...
  24. longle

R-30S chassis variations?

R-30S chassis SUCCESS! I'm in the process of recapping the chassis and a puzzle has emerged. All of the .1mfd 250v caps identified in the schematic are in fact .03mfd 600v caps in the chassis. These caps show every indication of being original to the chassis. There are no .03 caps listed in the...
  25. longle

R-30S chassis 4 section electrolytic can codes?

This is the first multi-section can I've run across that doesn't have the code stamped into the metal. They used a paper label instead. It's faded and no longer readable. Can anyone tell me what the codes are (triangle=, square=, etc) for the 4 section electrolytic can on an R-30S chassis...
Back
Top Bottom