Search results

1. bob s

Epi M60

FINALLY got the EPI-M60’s refoamed, been way to busy and couldn’t find the time. Anyway, I got the. Up and playing and are BLOWN AWAY ! The sound emanating from those small speakers is just magical. Even sitting too fat from a wall, stuck close together and in the workshop they sing. Then, I...
  2. bob s

Silk dome tweeter repair help

Guys, I have some Radio Shack dome tweeters with blown voice coils. Do any of you know a USA base source for replacement fabric domes ? They are 1 inch size, 8 ohm coils. Any help would be super appreciated. Bob S
  3. bob s

Technics SU-8600 bias and offset.

Yup, I saw that post, guy did an incredible job rebuilding that amp. With all I have going on, I’m not really interested in doing that kind of job. Mostly I wanted to check the amp out for operation and clean it up. Probably will sell it off as I am seriously downsizing collection and my...
  4. bob s

Ok, update time. First off, I missed the data in the manual I have, it was actually there, I failed to see it ??? I checked the bias and both channels were off, and somewhat high, left was at 14 mv, right was at 21.6. I reset both to as close to 10 mv as possible, controls are very touchy. After...
  5. bob s

It looks the same as the manual I have, same diagram, and verbage, minus the value ??? Thanks so much.
  6. bob s

Karl, Thanks, where did you find that data ?
  7. bob s

I have the service manual, they show where the test points are, but I see no values of what the voltages should be.
  8. bob s

Guys, I have an old Technics SU-8600 integrated amp I am trying to get put back in good operating condition. It has sat on my storage shelf for a few years and needs some basic work. I used it years ago, and loved it until the right channel went out. Thinking the worst I just took it out of...
  9. bob s

Your Favorite 8 inch 2-Way Speakers

Signet SL-280’s followed by my Genesis II’s. The Genesis II are less fatiguing, and sound very natural, not a lot of bad habits, easy to drive, but the Signets just rock ! They are my home theater mains, and handle power better, very solid and great sound field. You don’t see the Signets around...
  10. bob s

Acoustic stuffing differences , any ideas ?

Good point about the raw lambs wool, ick.....acoustastuff or equivalent will likely work fine. I have seen folks use the eggcrate foam to line enclosure walls, then stuff the insides with other fibers. The foam they make mattresses is probably too dense and would act to reduce the interior...
  11. bob s

Genesis II build from scratch

I have a pair of Genesis ll's that I love. The woofers and passives are exchanged from Human speakers, tweeters are originals. I can say they dig deeper than anything I have owned or heard, the tweeters are smooth and not harsh at all. Overall probably the least fatiguing speakers I know of, and...
  12. bob s

I worked 35 years in a power plant where they used rock wool as high temperature insulation. It's really nasty stuff, very irritating, so I'll stick with the fiberfill and similar materials. Lambs wool sounds interesting, and we have friends that have sheep ( same critter I suppose ) Maybe we...
  13. bob s

I read the linked article, still not sure if I totally understand the concepts, but I'm no engineer so can't argue the point. Without sophisticated test equipment it would be hard to really pick apart any small changes the various materials make. I guess I'll just stuff em and see what happens.
  14. bob s

using floorspeakers as stands?

What an interesting theory ! I have my SIGNET SL-280BL main speakers on top of my Genesis ll's , with them acting as stands, not currently hooked up. Although the SIGNETS sound great, I do wonder how the Genesis are affecting my sound. I will have to try moving the Genesis and putting proper...
  15. bob s

So the parts express acousta stuff is different than polyfill? I think that is what was in the Infinities, its real soft and silky feeling. I suppose I clubs stuff one speaker with one material and one with the other and see if I can discern the difference.
  16. bob s

I have dismantled some loudspeakers that had badly damaged boxes. I saved the stuffing material for future use. The material out of the AR-14's is coarser in texture. The material from the Infinity's is a much finer in texture, almost silly feeling. I am wondering which would be superior for...
  17. bob s

0hz Subwoofer

As another possible alternative, look for subs with passive radiators. They can be physically smaller and will have no port noise, because there is no port. I don't know any that will go to zero hertz, but as others have stated, anything much below 15-20 cycles is inaudible anyway.
  18. bob s

0hz Subwoofer

19. bob s

Anyone done this ? Minimus tweeter repair.

I very carefully disassembled the tweeter. Looking under a strong magnifier I can see a blob where the voice coil wire opened. Not near an end so making a connection is impossible. I thought about trying to rewind the coil but the wire is so small an it looks to be a two layer winding. Then...
  20. bob s

Anyone done this ? Minimus tweeter repair.

Anyone done it ? Replace the voice coil and silk dome on a Minimus 7 tweeter! If so, where did you find the parts. I have two blown tweeters out of Min 7's, hate to toss them, being a cheapskate. Wondering if I can fix them somehow, even with better parts like a titanium or other metal dome...
  21. bob s

Speaker Upgrade

A different perspective here, if you can, audition any candidates in your home space. Speakers all sound much different in a showroom than in your listening area. Case in point, I was having a problem getting decent sound in my house. I visited a friend who had some Klipsch speakers that sounded...
  22. bob s

EPI M-60 rebuild - upgrade question.

Thanks for the advise, I have watched the videos before and will again before I dive into the job. I think I'll keep everything original too, just because it's the proper thing to do. I really have to get the ball rolling on the refoams as I have so many to do.
  23. bob s

I understand exactly what you are saying. I think a big difference in caps can make an audible difference. If they are 10% units, and one is high in value,the other on the low side you are talking a large difference in actual value. I hold the line with the concept of buying "boutique" caps...
  24. bob s

62vaux, I get what you are saying. The original woofers are PROBABLY the best thing to keep the speakers as originally made, and designed. The ones I have in it simply need to be reformed. I have not tried my hand at that yet, and have a BUNCH of drivers that need to be redone. I have small...
  25. bob s

TOTL Vintage bass speakers

My Genesis ll 's with the woofer / passive radiator go about as low as I have heard in something non-powered. They don't get real loud, but seem to roll down effortlessly. They are some of the least fatiguing speakers I have listened to.
Back
Top Bottom