Search results

1. Schurkey

Let's See Your Great JVC Gear!

Inherited stuff can be bittersweet. Seems like a high proportion of stuff "passed down" is archaic crap that doesn't work, or doesn't work right. Lots of junk goes straight into the dumpster when cleaning-out the house of folks who've shucked their mortal coil. But returning some of it to...
  2. Schurkey

Jvc jr-s201...latest unit. This thing rocks! Anyone got one?

I'd be interested in a source/part number for those lamps.
  3. Schurkey

Need input on power issue pls

110 watts = 20.41 dBW. 225 watts = 23.52 dBW. About 3 dBW different. Not that much difference. More important would be the impedance swing of the speakers vs. the low-impedance drive of the amplifiers. As a general rule, AVRs are crippled when it comes to low-impedance operation. Once upon...
  4. Schurkey

Adcom 535 (*NOT* the Mark II) What's It All About?

Get a detailed list of what's been replaced, what's been cleaned/rejuvenated, and what's been adjusted. (I'm not sure there are any "adjustments" on that amp.) "I" would cram voltmeter leads into the speaker terminals to verify DC offset (not adjustable, has to be corrected by replacing...
  5. Schurkey

B & W Nautilus speaker cross over upgrades audiophile

Naked grapes, bananas, and apples. Oh my! The question is "Is new crap better than old crap". I guess we'll find out.
  6. Schurkey

Adcom 535 (*NOT* the Mark II) What's It All About?

IN GOOD CONDITION I think they'd be a fine amp. How many of them are still in good condition unless they've been serviced? I bet it costs more to properly service them, than the cost to buy 'em. Some folks get nervous about the lack of speaker protection relays. The amp currently...
  7. Schurkey

Solid state amp sound : Vintage transistors vs ICs

My "shop/garage" receiver is STK based and a thousand years old. Sounds fine to me; but I don't do critical listening in the shop. I think the IC-based audio gear gets a bad rap not because of the ICs, but because ICs are the cost-consious method of building audio gear, and the WHOLE THING is...
  8. Schurkey

Aragon fan

Ohhhh yeah. RCA outputs, two-fuse circuit board instead of 4-fuse. That one goes WAY back. Mine had the Toshiba outputs, and the four-fuse circuit board, but was still early enough to not be a "Mark II". (I had an actual Mark II purchased later.) The Toshiba transistors were re-marked...
  9. Schurkey

Aragon fan

Before the switch to Toshiba output transistors?
  10. Schurkey

Things that go hum.

If this were me, I'd grab two feet of plain ol' ordinary wire of pretty-much any gauge you care to name. Let's say 12--18 gauge because it's common and cheap. Strip 1/2 inch of insulation from each end, so the conductor is bare at the ends. Ground one end to the ground post of your amp along...
  11. Schurkey

Bose 901 equalizer built from scratch

The (ported) 901s ACCEPT a lot of power, I wouldn't say that they "need" a lot of power. (I have zero experience with the non-vented 901s) My 901 Vs filled a 8000 cubic-foot garage, loudly enough to be impressive out in the driveway, running off of a "35 watt" JVC JR-S201 receiver. I had more...
  12. Schurkey

Help for matching Amp to 6ohm speakers

Show me a transistor amplifier that doesn't have an FTC rating for 4-ohm nominal speaker loads, or has an FTC rating for 4-ohm nominal speaker loads only when a strangulation switch is thrown, and I'll show you a piece of cost-cut, bottom-feeder crap. "Watts" are volts X amperes. Volts are...
  13. Schurkey

Lisa Marie Presley dead at 54

She made it longer than her dad, who also died of a heart attack. Genetically weak heart? What were the circumstances of Elvis' mom's and dad's death? Did either go out young, from heart problems? Grandparents?
  14. Schurkey

Let's See Your Great JVC Gear!

It'd still work as a non-remote-controlled preamp. It's got switching for a limited range of source components, and some sort of volume control. It's the volume control that would be the most-questionable; maybe it has to have the remote for that. NOT a receiver, there's no on-board tuner or...
  15. Schurkey

Magnepan Questions

Conductor de-laminating from the plastic sheet it's supposed to be vibrating? I'm thinking this is fairly common. There's D-I-Y repair instructions on the internet, perhaps on this forum. Seems to me that Magnepan had problems with a certain production run--inappropriate glue. I've never...
  16. Schurkey

DBX BX3 MKII Restore (Advice needed)

It would likely be helpful if those of you looking for repair assistance provided your approximate location. Someone with experience may live not so far from you, and could help in person. Or maybe not...but you wouldn't know unless you told them where, in general, you are.
  17. Schurkey

Aragon fan

How do "MOSFET" transistors cause more heat than a Bipolar transistor? First Guess: Has little or NOTHING to do with the kind of transistor, have everything to do with the amount of bias current running through that transistor. Increased bias current = increased heat. Then the question...
  18. Schurkey

Aragon fan

https://www.aragonav.com/ https://www.acurusav.com/
  19. Schurkey

Who is still using Hafler Gear?

You were asking about this back in May. Didn't you like the responses you got then? Post 33: https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/hafler-amplifer-opinions.614184/page-2
  20. Schurkey

Opinions on the AR 91??

I was gifted a pair of AR 93Qs. Not directly comparable to the 91s, but as I understand, from the same era and speaker family. I'm quite impressed with the 93Qs. Note that both speakers needed the (2) 8" bass and (1) 8" midrange drivers re-foamed; and each tweeter popped it's glue-bond to the...
  21. Schurkey

Testing wires with multimeter

How do you know the woofer works? Don't use a meter set to DC volts when testing an AC signal. Don't expect to measure current (amperage) with a voltmeter. Set the meter to a lower-voltage AC scale. Depending on the meter, you'd be looking for 20-to-40 volts AC, which should give you...
  22. Schurkey

What is the advantage of bridging two amp vs one big amp?

^^^ If the amplifier is wired so the two channels share a power supply, that's likely the best way. The bass channel has access to almost the entire power supply, because the high-frequency channel won't use much current--just voltage. As opposed to using one amplifier for bass, where the two...
  23. Schurkey

Amazon available Spk Cable recommendations

First, you have to put your soul on life-support.
  24. Schurkey

Amazon available Spk Cable recommendations

Given a choice, I'd prefer RG8/U (NOT RG8/X) as the conductor is larger. I've been told (but not verified) that up to the point where Bryston started selling expensive boutique cables, RG8/U was their recommendation. Kinda hard to find, and most of my internet searches are polluted with RG8/X...
  25. Schurkey

Unwanted noises...

You should be THRILLED to contact Social Services. Collect evidence, call 'em up. The dirtbags go to prison which they richly deserve, the kids get a loving family where they stand a chance at becoming productive citizens, and you get new--and hopefully better--neighbors. Everyone wins.
Back
Top Bottom