Search results

1. merdy

Need inexpensive 15" LF replacement drivers for 4638 cabinet...

Around 10 years ago I used some Newark electronics 15 inch pa woofers that were jbl knock offs and they worked well in the 4638 cabinets,they were on sale and I got 4 for $200 and free shipping He blew them during the holiday parties with a amp pumping dc so I replaced them with the grs as it...
  2. merdy

What to serve your picky audiophile friend for dinner?

Some fresh baked vinyl of course!
  3. merdy

Can you identify this logo ?

Damm it's so blurry,I call it THC.
  4. merdy

Goodbye 2023!

good bye 123123
  5. merdy

ProAc Tablette (original version) crossover schematic needed

Ahhh memories,I had the tablet in college in my dorm room,the best speakers to seduce women from the arts and English department After moving to the USA I managed to get a pair of super tablets and still own them,I updated the caps around 15 years ago and want to do the same. Apparently the...
  6. merdy

JBL 4648 vs 4645B

I was in a similar situation around 15 years ago and I tried to also re tuned the box,I also tried the 2241 and then made a 20 cuft box with 2 of them,still missing the below 30 hz bass,I also tried stacking a pair of k horn bottom which sounded better but the resolution of the drivers muddied...
  7. merdy

Identify speaker find (Fender)?

The philips 9710 is a fantastic full range driver,sonab was well known for using them in an Omni directional speakers and there are a few design that used compound drivers to create a wide bandwidth with the helper woofer in this case the rebranded fender which looks like an oxford as mentioned...
  8. merdy

Got my audiophile Halloween costume ready

It's even made of vinyl.
  9. merdy

Cabinet Lining/Filling question

What you have is a tuned quarter wave pipe/tube it's usually called tqwt or tqwp This is a very old design by paul voight I can explain the design but it might be better for you to read up on this at your own time Looks like you have a 10 inch driver which is a bit bigger than most designs but...
  10. merdy

Yet another, what speakers are these thread?

They look like sonic speakers,I have a silver version in my shed The mid and tweets on a single plate is a give away I recapped them and they are good little noise makers Pic from the bay
  11. merdy

An Ironic Truth

Ahhh so that's where all the white albums went.
  12. merdy

I may have a line on Altec A7-500's. The cabinets are a bit much for my 15x15 living room. What sort of cabinets could I build for those drivers?

Lots of great responses here,my opinion would be to make them similar to the magnificent where the woofer flare is on the bottom and you mount the horn in the vent,I have had magnificents in a similar sized room and they worked very well I did raise them using a 2x4 footer I made to avoid some...
  13. merdy

Extremely cheap mod for improved listening, give a look!

Just don't put vinegar in your ear You will end up having pickled hearing. Badumtisss.
  14. merdy

Extremely cheap mod for improved listening, give a look!

I brought some high end audiophile ear cleaning enhanced systems and they were only $999 for a 5 pack,it was so good and I could hear the noise the sun was making while rising this morning. I ran over to my neighbors yard 100 yards away as I heard the snakes slither away. Joking aside as you...
  15. merdy

Name the speaker

Wow memories,I remember them when I went to a audition with a friend who was very interested in a small horn speaker for his bedroom They are called kochel Here is the newer version https://www.tmhaudio.com/kochel-k300.html
  16. merdy

found a great band during a lousy week

so last thursday my 93 year old mother in law fell in the tub ,we ended up going to 3 emergency rooms ,she is tough as hell a holocaust baby surviver ,she broke 4 ribs and is now well and recovering i was really bummed and lacking sleep and around 9 a friend called and said hey i need a favor ,a...
  17. merdy

Man in England convicted of selling counterfeit LPs

A friend sent me this picture a long time ago Now please don't get any ideas
  18. merdy

Man in England convicted of selling counterfeit LPs

I'm gonna to play police and thieves,loud and then Sandinista. https://www.theguardian.com/music/2023/apr/05/man-who-made-12m-from-fake-vinyl-records-caught-out-by-clash-fan
  19. merdy

Mike LeFevre (Magnequest)

Heard it from my friend who was close to him. Met him at New York noise and brought his first batch of single end transformers,it opened my ears. Thank you Mike
  20. merdy

Celestion DL8 and DL6

One of the oldest speakers and drivers manufacturers around,started in 1924 many great innovations over the years,right now their coaxial compression drives are a tour de force.the domestic home audio audio had some special speakers like the sl600 and the 5000 Have fun
  21. merdy

Wayne Shorter, sax jazz master passes.

Rip Wayne what an absolute legend ,did not know much about him till i saw him live in amsterdam around 82 with weather report ,he and jaco opened my ears when i realized you don't need a guitar player in the band,i met him a few times when he was doing various tours as my friends brother was...
  22. merdy

The best possible party speaker

Hey geezers leave the kid alone,I am sure he is learning and busy with school and girlfriends When he's ready he can make real party speakers like these.
  23. merdy

JBL 4345 clone building tips, advice?

I don't think they ever published any plans but the older sm1 used jbl components and they were big around 7 feet high and about 40 cuft,the newer ones use tad components and are around 30 cuft The bigger challenge is finding the horn and suitable drivers which can be a expensive undertaking I...
  24. merdy

JBL 4345 clone building tips, advice?

Since you have four of them and the surrounds are good and you have the space I would build the last speaker you need ,the westlake sm1 or something in the wmtmw You can cross them at 250 hz then use a 10 till 1k and a nice horn Go active either with analog crossover or dsp,some newer pro...
Back
Top Bottom