Search results

1. tea_hous

Is this arcing?

I wanted to post a 'conclusion' to this long saga. The last issue that I was having was a slight intermittent / inconsistent channel hum... so slight that it couldn't be heard from the listening seat, but I can't help but to be a fussy audiophile :). I eventually solved this issue as well...
  2. tea_hous

Is this arcing?

Thanks for the input! We're long passed that hurdle, as the thread and time progressed.
  3. tea_hous

Is this arcing?

I'll try it when I get back -- probably with a 'sacrificial' set of speakers attached. I can't make any progress for now :boring:.
  4. tea_hous

Is this arcing?

Oh -- took out my 'good camera' to take some pics of the cool blue / violet glow on the new 45s. Glowing 45 Tubes by tea_hous posted Dec 12, 2022 at 3:03 AMGlowing 45 by tea_hous posted Dec 12, 2022 at 2:57 AM
  5. Glowing 45 Tubes

Glowing 45 Tubes

Two glowing 45 tubes, each in focus, one glowing blue, the other violet. The pair are framed by two 717a tubes in bokeh. They are installed in a Yamamoto A-08s.
  6. Glowing 45 Tubes

Glowing 45 Tubes

Two glowing 45 tubes in a Yamamoto A-08s, each with blue / violet glow.
  7. Glowing 45

Glowing 45

NOS 45 with blue glow visible along edge.
  8. Glowing tubes

Glowing tubes

A collection of glowing tube photos, preferably shot with high quality gear.
  9. tea_hous

Is this arcing?

So... a little update here. Furthering on my 'chasing ghosts' investigation into this very minimal 'hum' I had through my speakers, I replaced every tube with the NOS backups that I had purchased. I realized it made more sense (to me) to start with a fresh set of tubes all around, rather than...
  10. tea_hous

Is this arcing?

Last night I remembered that the previous owner had sent me an extra set of 717a's. I climbed in the attic and dug them out, and replaced the current 717a in the right channel... Bull's eye! The buzzing noise is completely gone. Great suggestions here, pointing me towards trying the pre-amp...
  11. tea_hous

Is this arcing?

Ooooh, I see -- it just clicked... what the manual must have been talking about is a plate adjustment in case someone brings the amp to another country with another voltage. That's what they meant at the end of the part I quoted - "on the occasion of the exchange adjustment". I'm quite...
  12. tea_hous

Is this arcing?

Ok, I'll give it a try later tonight. If I find out that it is the 717a, and I buy a new set, do I then need to adjust the plate voltage when I do a 'permanent' tube swap? I'm confused.
  13. tea_hous

Is this arcing?

I'll try this first I think. I just copied the text in the manual that talks about the swap... Apparently there is a rose attachment. :idea: "Furthermore, the vacuum tube. 717A for the first stage of this machine are not able to promote the exchange to the one who is not detailed to the...
  14. tea_hous

Is this arcing?

Eh, the previous owner said that it wasn't arcing when he had it -- just slightly gassy... so as far as I know, it only arced when I first turned it on (for a few seconds), and when I did it again to make the video, as I was trying to diagnose. I never turned it on again after that... Maybe...
  15. tea_hous

Is this arcing?

Ah, good point... I hope it's just a tube. I gather that this is not normal operating noise then? The nature of the noise varies... it only begins after the amp has warmed up for 10 minutes or so. Wouldn't this eliminate the possibility of the cause being either of these suggestions? I'd...
  16. tea_hous

Is this arcing?

Reviving this thread with good news -- I was a bit slow to get there, and to finally post about it, but I finally got my new type 80 rectifier installed in the Yamamoto. That was it! This thing sounds absolutely beautiful now... wow, first SET amp here, and I'm smitten. I've been calling it...
  17. tea_hous

Is this arcing?

I know the thread became a bit long to fully read through, but ya, we've come to this conclusion as well. It's good to hear more voices in agreement though. Sage words -- this is going into my 'quotable quotes' file (yes, I actually keep a Google Keep folder of random quotes).
  18. tea_hous

Is this arcing?

Thanks for asking! I purchased three 280's, so I have a couple spares for the future. They all await my return to my studio in a few weeks... it's an exercise in patience for me :0.
  19. tea_hous

Is this arcing?

Checking in on this after a month, I love where this conversation drifted :D
  20. tea_hous

Is this arcing?

15 amp!? Geez, may as well just bridge the fuse and rely on your house breaker at that point :rflmao: Glad to hear it didn't amount to a big loss!
  21. tea_hous

Is this arcing?

You guys are the best. Trobbins -- that's deep knowledge -- you added some points that I hadn't read anywhere else. Thank you. Ya, I'm going to follow this advice. I ended up buying two RCA globes (one will be a backup I suppose). Luckily, they are pretty cheap, so not that concerning...
  22. tea_hous

Is this arcing?

Ha, just when you think you're out, they pull you back in again! :) Well this doesn't sound good, but I'm glad you brought it up. Perhaps another prof will weigh in. It's a bit confusing at this point... Most sources point towards a bad tube... For example, one site says, "Purple glow – A...
  23. tea_hous

crickets...

crickets...
  24. tea_hous

Is this arcing?

I was teasing about the tuition payment, but just yesterday I was considering becoming a subscriber -- specifically when I read in a couple other threads that Barter Town is where people get a lot of their tubes. I've received a ton of help and input through here in the past as well, so it...
  25. tea_hous

Is this arcing?

Got it -- this is in line with where my thinking was leading me. Thanks everyone for sharing your knowledge -- superb community. Where should I send tuition payment?
Back
Top Bottom