Search results

1. Captain581

My new Marantz 2252B gives me a headache.

I recently purchased what has to be one of the best looking best kept Marantz 2252Bs anywhere (and paid a premium for that). It was used very sparingly and is all original save for LED lights. The volume knob even retains slight turning resistance as when new; same for the rest of the knobs...
  2. Captain581

Do brand mismatched output transistors affect anything?

I just purchased a gorgeous 2265B that admittedly look good - almost like new. Sounds good too, although maybe not quite as ear-friendly as my 2252B, which I just sold. Might be the BIAS, which I'll have tended to. I paid top price for this 2265B (too afraid to admit how much). I was told it...
  3. Captain581

Vellum paper in Marantz 2252B?

I recently bought a 2252B that had super-electric blue LEDs installed. Too bright - not pretty. I took it to my tech to have it returned closer to normal using warm LEDs, which he did. Now it does have proper color tone, but the dark & bright areas on the dial are extremely pronounced. There...
  4. Captain581

Marantz Lover's Lament

Gulp...after 5-7 years of sampling various vintage receivers (I just like receivers best) I found that my recapped/restored Marantz 2270 always gave me more hours of joy and listening pleasure than anything else I had. It was the sweetest; clear delicate highs with great dynamic response and...
  5. Captain581

Onkyo 2500mk II for $75 - no lights - worth it?

Considering the price, would it be worth taking this 'lighting' project on? The case & faceplate look good. http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649341180-onkyo-tx2500mk-ii-receiver-no-lights/ I've read more than once on AK that replacing lights in these Onkyos is a huge challenge - and...
  6. Captain581

Sansui

Well I'm up here in Canada by Lake Ontario, WAY too far away to take advantage of this jaw-dropping bargain, but perhaps an Audiokarma member in Washington might want to grab it up. Probably already gone as I write this... Sansui 8080 DB: $300 http://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/ele/5488679862.html
  7. Captain581

Sansui 8080 DB for $300 !!

Well I'm up here in Canada by Lake Ontario, WAY too far away to take advantage of this jaw-dropping bargain, but perhaps an Audiokarma member in Washington might want to grab it up. Probably already gone as I write this... http://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/ele/5488679862.html
  8. Captain581

Sansui 661 - Shell Shock

While perusing an antique store in Brantford Ontario last week, I came upon a Sansui 661 in great shape. It was playing, and worked perfectly. All knobs had that ‘new resistance’ feel to them when turned, even the volume knob. It was obvious this unit had barely been used. Unfortunately, it did...
  9. Captain581

Monster Receiver Sell-Off in Toronto

I'm not financially fit enough to even think about partaking, but what a mouth-watering collection for sale: http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649185965-monster-receiver-sale/ Whoa....
  10. Captain581

Early 2270 transformer larger than 'newer' ones?

Because of a great price and availability, I recently bought a third Marantz 2270. This is an older one with grey caps, all black speaker posts and no brass nut for the faceplate behind the ‘Balance’ knob. It sounds great from the headphone jack, but remains silent when connected to speakers...
  11. Captain581

2270 Score - Mystery Date Stamp

I just bought another 2270, though I certainly didn't need it. In truth, it found me, I didn’t go looking. Because of its truly incredible condition and price ($225 CAD), I just could not turn it down – plus I had to act fast. The pots on this one all have a good ‘resistance’ to turning while...
  12. Captain581

Playboy Playmate Stereo??

I happened upon these shots of Playboy Playmate Elizabeth Ann Roberts from the January 1958 issue. What a formidable and magnificent stereo she’s posing in front of. Anyone have any idea what it is?
  13. Captain581

“Never take a woman with you when you go to buy a stereo” and other truisms.

Has anybody seen the YouTube vintage audio reviews made be 'Andrew from the Netherlands'? I like him. He doesn't take himself too seriously - neither does he profess to be a technically savvy audio expert. Rather, he simply states, in his own brand of broken English (he's actually an expat from...
  14. Captain581

2270 FM tuning metre light dull & flickers

I have a restored & recapped Marantz 2270. All light bulbs and vellum were replaced too, but lately I notice that after about an hour, the FM tuning metre dulls to about ¾ brightness and sometimes flickers a little. :nono: If I turn the receiver off and then back on, the metre returns to...
  15. Captain581

22xx - On the Question of Turquoise or Blue

TURQUOISE IT IS! Since I restored them, I have read much on Audiokarma about what colour the illuminated dials on my two Marantz 2270 receivers are supposed to be. Some say they were originally blue and have just lost their colour over time due to aged & dried vellum paper. This makes them...
  16. Captain581

Uneven Colour Across Sony STR-5800 Tuner Dial

I just had a Sony STR-6800 SD recapped by a known restoration shop - did it partly because it's in such good cosmetic shape and because I had some beautiful ash hips made for it to replace the vinyl overlay stuff. It sure can kick now, and gives my 2270 a real run for its money (still prefer the...
  17. Captain581

1971 Marantz Catalog (2215-2230-2245-2270)

Hello, I took my 2270 in for some service to a fellow in Burlington who used to work at Anderson Sound in St. Catharines Ontario. He was kind enough to lend me a 1971 Marantz catalog he still had, so I scanned it and put up 5 pages in appreciation of all I've learned from this site. Only room...
  18. Captain581

A/B Problems (2 receivers, 1 pair of spkrs)

Since joining AK I’ve been learned a whole lot, and have been extremely fortunate in discovering some great vintage gear around the Dundas Ontario (Canada) area. I managed to pick up a pristine 2230, 2270 and an HK-430. Like anyone, I love to compare, but get tired of A/B’ing by pulling...
  19. Captain581

2270 vs. 2230 vs. Sony STR-6800 SD

Hi, Just signed on with Audiokarma and want to say how much I’ve enjoyed reading all the comments in the last few months, especially those about Marantz receivers and and the Sony STR-6800 SD. I’m a musician and music/computer teacher living in Dundas, Ontario Canada. I became a vintage...
Back
Top Bottom