Search results

1. V

JVC XL-Z444 Tracking

Just an update; I cleaned the track with alcohol several times, put a drop of oil on both it and the motor that turns the disc, and now it's working as-new, and very quietly.
  2. V

JVC XL-Z444 Tracking

I have one of these I bought with my first job money in high school; it sat in a closet for years and years, and about five years ago, I started to get nostalgic for the days of simply playing a CD and got it out. It sorta worked; the tray belt needed love, but the bigger issue was the...
  3. V

Vintage No-Name Idler Wow Problems

A follow up; I was chatting with a friend locally who used to be a tech and, after going through all the possible issues it could be, it hit me that I hadn't thought about the speed control, which is some kind of manual brake...and sure enough, if I set the speed wide open, wow went down to .18...
  4. V

No I totally get that and realize using the bigger wobbling idler isn't really going to solve my problem. The smaller one fits as you describe but is super noisy and has like 1% wow so thinking I need to do some measurements and find a similar one that actually works. And as I say thinking I...
  5. V

I'm thinking more and more this is what I'm going to try next. The bigger idler is also slightly too tall and isn't making aligned contact with the motor shaft, but even with that it's still much quieter and with better wow than the smaller rebuilt one, which is pretty damned noisy. I'm also...
  6. V

Well, that's just it - I really like the sound of it and I've spent a lot of time souping it up to get here. It'd be really depressing if I wind up shelving it because I can't get the wow under control, but I do realize I'm working with something that wasn't meant to be used for what I'm using...
  7. V

Yes, that's what I am doing only with duct tape since the roll I have accidentally fits right inside the innermost ridge on the platter, so I know it's centered. Then the phone on top of that as best I can center it.
  8. V

This has been my experience as well - it's actually the smaller idler that fits that was redone and has a larger wow value. I may try sanding it anyway just to see what happens, I have nothing to lose at this point.
  9. V

What's the usual grade used for this kind of thing?
  10. V

I have a smaller idler wheel and it feels far more pliable to touch, and it fits the post far more snugly, but with it the wow jumps up to .7%. I don't know if that means the problem is elsewhere, or if it's just the wrong idler but it fits the post better than the one in the photo. With the...
  11. V

It's a Califone 1865A, I said "no name" since I invariably get attacked for mentioning the dreaded name and people just immediately go to, "well, it's a piece of junk, but if you want to waste your time..." It's an older ruggedly-built model that I replaced everything on, removed all the amp...
  12. V

Yes, I think it's just worn from use - I'll look around, that's a great idea and honestly I've spent so much time trying to repair what I have it hadn't dawned on me to look for replacement parts!
  13. V

I had the idler rebuilt by VM last year so it's definitely not that - it essentially wiggles on the shaft which is what I'm trying to resolve. Apologies if I'm not being clear - the platter and idler make contact fine, but I'm getting a lot of wow from the idler somehow, and presume it's the...
  14. V

I've posted about the vintage transcription turntable I have before that I use for 16" discs, and I'm very happy with the overall sound/tracking/fidelity of so ideally not looking to upgrade or replace. I'd posted here a while back about ongoing rumble issues which I finally solved by adding...
  15. V

Best, Currently Available & Reasonably Affordable Microline Stylus?

Thanks for the VMN40ML suggestion; I wound up buying it and putting it on my 10+ year old 440MLA body, which I never used much as I didn't like the sound of it (or the then-current stylus, I suppose). However, the VMN40ML is in another league and I'm really pleased with the outcome!
  16. V

Thank you! Wonder if it'll be a bright as the old 440MLa original stylus was??? It was painful no matter how I loaded it.
  17. V

OP here; will the AT-VM540ML replacement stylus fit a 10 year old 440MLa body? I have one but never cared for it, thought it was bright and flat sounding. Not opposed to getting the AT-VM540ML outright, just asking.
  18. V

I was spoiled by my VN5MR for many years, and haven't been wowed by the Jico SAS replacements I've bought for it. I've tried a couple of other cartrdiges...AT 440MLA a while back, which I found thin and screechy, and a Stanton SAS D6800EEE-S stylus which I also find doesn't really track too well...
  19. V

Vintage Idler Turntable Rumble

Just a follow up; there's no brand on my table so don't know who manufactured it, but it's almost certainly from the 50s. I FINALLY got the noise calmed down...it'd never occurred to me to change the feet under the table, so I replaced the hardened rubber feet with three half-cut grocery store...
  20. V

Just circling back as I'm the OP; I still have noise coming through my table, which I originally called rumble but I think now it's more actual motor noise. Is it theoretically possible to replace the motor on a table without a direct replacement, or is that more surgery than I'd want to get...
  21. V

Technics SL-1500...No Right Channel

I have one of these that I hadn't used in a couple of years, which I don't recall having any channel issues on last use. Plugged it in yesterday, and the right channel is dead. Tried multiple cartridges and headshells, and switching leads to the amp, and there's just nothing there. I took the...
  22. V

Windows 10/Remote Desktop Audio Issue

Yes, again, it's all set up correctly. I'm using the second machine to stream, so no output device, it's going into VLC but when I close out the RDP session the audio on the stream stops (as does the stream).
  23. V

Sorry, I think I had the terms backwards - yes, I am trying to log into one machine from another and only use the first machine to access the desktop of the second machine and start audio on it, nothing else. The audio doesn't actually stop playing, you can still see it's active if you log back...
  24. V

I just recently bought a refurbished desktop PC with Windows 10 installed to use for some constant-playback audio needs. I'm having trouble with the audio stopping on the client machine when I log out of RDP from the host computer. Before its said, "Play on remote computer" is checked, and all...
  25. V

I'm not opposed to that, but let me try some of the other ideas first and then will go down that road.
Back
Top Bottom