Search results

1. V

JVC XL-Z444 Tracking

I have one of these I bought with my first job money in high school; it sat in a closet for years and years, and about five years ago, I started to get nostalgic for the days of simply playing a CD and got it out. It sorta worked; the tray belt needed love, but the bigger issue was the...
  2. V

Vintage No-Name Idler Wow Problems

I've posted about the vintage transcription turntable I have before that I use for 16" discs, and I'm very happy with the overall sound/tracking/fidelity of so ideally not looking to upgrade or replace. I'd posted here a while back about ongoing rumble issues which I finally solved by adding...
  3. V

Best, Currently Available & Reasonably Affordable Microline Stylus?

I was spoiled by my VN5MR for many years, and haven't been wowed by the Jico SAS replacements I've bought for it. I've tried a couple of other cartrdiges...AT 440MLA a while back, which I found thin and screechy, and a Stanton SAS D6800EEE-S stylus which I also find doesn't really track too well...
  4. V

Technics SL-1500...No Right Channel

I have one of these that I hadn't used in a couple of years, which I don't recall having any channel issues on last use. Plugged it in yesterday, and the right channel is dead. Tried multiple cartridges and headshells, and switching leads to the amp, and there's just nothing there. I took the...
  5. V

Windows 10/Remote Desktop Audio Issue

I just recently bought a refurbished desktop PC with Windows 10 installed to use for some constant-playback audio needs. I'm having trouble with the audio stopping on the client machine when I log out of RDP from the host computer. Before its said, "Play on remote computer" is checked, and all...
  6. V

Vintage Idler Turntable Rumble

I have an off-brand idler turntable probably from the 1950s that has a big, heavy metal arm on that I love the sound/tracking on with 78s and transcription discs. I have completely rewired the tonearm and installed a more modern cartridge that I can use suitable styli with for vintage discs, so...
  7. V

Vintage 15/16 Radio Station Logging Tape Playback

I have a reel from a logging machine from one of our local radio stations from the late 60s, which I've not been able to play back after almost 40 years of owning it. I'm guessing it's recorded at least at 15/16 but recording digitally using a standard reel deck and attempting to slow down...
  8. V

Best Cartridge Mate For Technics Tonearm?

I have an old Technics SL-D5 which sounds amazing with the Stanton 500 and original conical styli, but of course they don't track well near the center of the disc. I've tried multiple variations of elliptical styli with the 500, a Jico Shibata on a Stanton 681 I have, and other odds and ends but...
  9. V

Pickering Stylus ID

I’ve had this stylus for years but only recently got a Stanton 681EEE that it’ll fit into, and am surprised at how good it sounds. Is this elliptical or conical? I’ve googled and am finding little about this exact one.
  10. V

45 Adapter Won’t Work Unless Pushed Dowm

I’ve asked about this before, but as I still haven’t solved it thought I’d try again. I have a Technics SL-D5 and the 45 adapter doesn’t work unless I push down on it. If I do that it works flawlessly. I’ve disassembled it and cleaned it, tried different springs, cleaned and lubricated under...
  11. V

Harmon Kardon Prelude Potentiometer Replacement

I have a late 50s Prelude that needs a new on/off and volume pot. The original is a CRL 13, marked 15A/10V and it's 1Meg on the schematic. It has a 4th leg that drove the contour control. My tech that has been working on it replaced it with a standard 3-leg pot, suggesting that losing the old...
  12. V

Harman Kardon Copper Faceplate Help

I’d posted about this several weeks ago looking for suggestions but didn’t really get too much input, so thought I’d try again with a photo. This Harmon Kardon Prelude looks like hell, and I’m trying to figure out the least evasive way to remove the corrosion without taking off the lettering...
  13. V

Vintage EV Impedance Question

I have a mono set up with a Karlson cabinet, which has inside it an EV 15TRX that I'm only using the woofer from, then I have a T35 tweeter in the top of the cabinet, wired using an X36 crossover. The ohms on the woofer are measuring 14, and the ohms on the tweeter are measuring 8, even though...
  14. V

Harmon Kardon Prelude Faceplate Cleaning

I have a late-50s Harmon Kardon Prelude that has quite a bit of tarnish on the (copper?) faceplate, but most of the lettering is still intact so I've been hesitant to try anything until I've heard from somebody whose cleaned one of these without stripping any of the wording off. Any suggestions...
  15. V

Vintage Portable Case Mishap

I have a vintage portable with some kind of textured Tolex-like covering which was covered with paint specs, and I - foolishly - went at it with a wet magic eraser thinking it would remove the paint. It did somewhat, but also unevenly stripped the black ink/paint from the covering so now it was...
  16. V

The Shure Easy Mount Bracket

I have one of these that came with an M93E and at the angle specified in the literature the body is barely held by the mount. Just a bit of pressure and it slips. Is this normal or should it be tighter or more secure?
  17. V

Vintage Console and add-on 45 player rumble issues

I have an early 60s Magnavox console that I'm happy with; I've made a few changes to it (replacing the tweeters, adapting the turntable to use a MM cartridge, etc.) and it's the centerpiece of our living room and we play it every day. That said, I also have a 1950 RCA 45 player, which I LOVE...
  18. V

Stereo Treble Booster

I have a vintage stereo console from the early 60s I've tweaked quite a bit, down to replacing the original tweeters in the cabinet with more modern Vifas. If I run a signal from a more modern pre l through just the amp, I can get a really nice, balanced sound out of the speakers. But using the...
  19. V

Denon DRM-710 Belt Removal

I have a Denon DRM-710 that I bought new about 25 years ago, and over the past few years it stopped working, showing symptoms I've seen others post about - more or less the transport belt is either stretched or slipping, as, if I move the gear with my fingertip and press play, the deck comes to...
  20. V

Two Sony D5s...both deceased.

I have two Sony D5s, one of which is my original 1985 first-ever CD player, and the other is an exact match that I bought a few years ago thinking I might be able to get one working unit from the two for sentimental reasons. (I also have a small low-fi vintage system and love the idea of this...
  21. V

1962 Magnavox Console Speaker Question(s)

I have a '62 Console (essentially the Danish Modern, with a few minor cosmetic differences) that's more or less working perfectly, it's been recapped, and I also restored (sort-of) the turntable, in which I replaced the ceramic cartridge with a Shure M93E and placed a small preamp in the back of...
  22. V

VM 1210A Turntable Detent Spring and Needle Sit-down Issues

I recently bought a portable with a VM 1210A which was advertised as being restored, but with slight problems with needle sit down. I presumed it just needed adjustment. When I got the unit I pulled the table out, and the hook part of the detent spring was loose in the case, with the spring...
  23. V

Shure Premier Cartridge w/ SC35C stylus

I have an old Shure Premier body I received in a lot I purchased, and I also have some styli both .7 and 3 mil (like came with the SC35C) that seem like they would fit if the plastic casing were trimmed back slightly. I have a vintage portable I thought I'd put this in if I can figure out how to...
  24. V

Digitizing Singles

I've been happily using VinylStudio for months now to capture some of my collection for listening in the car, all around the house, what have you. But I have a large amount of singles and have been unable to wrap my head around exactly how I'd want to approach them...I don't really have the time...
  25. V

Behringer FCA202, FireWire, and 64-Bit Windows

I have an old Behringer FCA202 that I'd like to put on a spare system to occasionally capture needle drops - I used it extensively in years past and always thought it sounded great for the money. But every machine I have now has a 64-bit operating system and I'm stuck as there are no 64-bit...
Back
Top Bottom