Search results

1. bjlefebvre

DIY Decware ZKIT thread

Merry Christmas! The SE84 is still rocking - got it in my workroom system. I have Edcor transformers on mine - I think Steve used those in his earlier builds, or at least had those on his ZKIT parts list. One of these days I need to open it up again and add some Loctite or something to the RCA...
  2. bjlefebvre

Schiit Turntable: the giant-slayer that slays giants and schiit

Eh, not so sure of that. How much demand is there going to be for a turntable with known issues that isn't going to get support from the manufacturer? I'm sure some folks would buy a used version, but I don't see demand being enough where the asking price on the used market going past MSRP.
  3. bjlefebvre

I'm not really a jazz guy, but...

Oh man, nice job on the Miles Davis stuff especially. Those must be radio station promos. I got that Cal Tjader - it's a fun one.
  4. bjlefebvre

I'm not really a jazz guy, but...

Nice work and congrats. Yeah, thrift store jackpots are always nice, especially when they're clean. It's funny - some people will take scratched up records to the used record store claiming they're worth hundreds, others will drop off a nice, clean collection at a thrift for nothing but maybe a...
  5. bjlefebvre

Well Tempered Labs Owners Thread

Checking in to say: I switched the Grado woody on the Versalex to a Denon 103r and now a Hana SL. The Hana is a very, very good match for the tonearm. The Denon 103r sounded nice but didn't have the dynamics I was looking for. The Hana is better in that regard and has a sweeeeeeet mid-bass sound.
  6. bjlefebvre

Dark night of the tuner soul

Interestingly, it looks like someone already updated at least some of the caps in the tuner to match the upgrades listed on the fmtunerinfo , including the one I listed to improve bass response. Huh.
  7. bjlefebvre

I'll check this weekend. I haven't screwed the shellback onto it yet, just fit it into place. I just wanted to give it a eyeballing during some free time earlier this afternoon.
  8. bjlefebvre

Huh: "C90, C91 - .22 µF, 50V - look way too small, which may be why bass is lacking. I would go 1 µF poly." Most of the upgrades suggested are more than I want to get into/feel comfortable doing, but switching out two caps is totally doable.
  9. bjlefebvre

Opened up the KT-815 over lunch break today. Nice, neat layout and nothing that hit the eye as being wrong. I think the fuse may be part of the switch component because I did not see it anywhere else obvious. I basically blew some air on the guts, took a flashlight to inspect a couple of...
  10. bjlefebvre

Yeah, I'll multimeter the fuse for sure. Might be able to get to that tonight, we'll see. I asked a local audio repair shop how much it might cost to fix if it's anything more than a blown fuse and maybe to do a realignment. Guy said most likely a couple hundred bucks. We'll see. There's a...
  11. bjlefebvre

Yup, all dark - no lights, no nothing. It's a Kenwood KT-815. I'll check for a blown fuse when I get time to open it up, which might not be until this weekend. If it's a fuse or a switch, I can probably fix it. If it's a transformer, eh, I don't know if I want to mess with it.
  12. bjlefebvre

Finished work today, had dinner, read to the kids, came downstairs to relax over a beer and the local jazz station - and found the tuner dead. Flipped the switch and nada. I loved this Kenwood, the electric analogue glow of it and the way it made a good station sound almost CD-like in its...
  13. bjlefebvre

Measuring SUT transformers

That's interesting. I, too, had never heard that. If the coils get saturated, are they basically kaput?
  14. bjlefebvre

Thanks for that. Glad I came here first.
  15. bjlefebvre

Hey all, I acquired a pair of Altec 4722 transformers to build into an SUT. Is there a way to confirm that they "work" before I go through the trouble of building a chassis? When I flip them over, there's a little "click" sound like the windings are sliding slightly inside the cases. Is that...
  16. bjlefebvre

Schiit Turntable: the giant-slayer that slays giants and schiit

Oof. We've gone from "Tonearm-gate" to "Pulley-gate." Nice they're sending customers replacement parts, but yeesh this has got to be killing their bottom line.
  17. bjlefebvre

Zu Audio Omen Dirty Weekends

Let us know what you think of the DWs vs the Soul Supremes. I was thinking of buying a pair of Supreme drivers to install into the DW cabinets at some point. Gerrit mentioned that the Supremes could be a bit too revealing on some recordings....
  18. bjlefebvre

Political ad Pop-ups

I just got a pop up for "Conservative Girls" while viewing the site on a laptop Chrome browser. C'mon. The managers need to get this ad stuff under control. You can barely even see the log-in fields because of the ads now, and even subscribers are getting bombarded with poor-taste ads once...
  19. bjlefebvre

Has something recently changed on AK?

Is there a reason subscribers are still getting ads on the site?
  20. bjlefebvre

Cell Phone -> Passive Pre -> Power Amp

There's adapters for the new headphone jacks. I just literally looked these up earlier today as I'm in the same boat - I want to stream baseball games using my MLB app to my big speakers. Blue Tooth dongle would also do it, but then that's another thing that has to be plugged in. The USB-C to...
  21. bjlefebvre

Redboy's setup from the audio underground

Looks beauteous. Are those Hammond boxes, Landfall, etc?
  22. bjlefebvre

Zu Audio Omen Dirty Weekends

Nice. A nice, crackling fire and DWs.
  23. bjlefebvre

Well Tempered Labs Owners Thread

I'd go for the Amadeus 1. I had an Amadeus briefly and it sounds as good as my Versalex. The Amadeus is a "final turntable" for a lot of folks - I know the Versalex is mine. Looking at the difference between the Amadues mk 1 and mk 2, I think the only real difference is the tonearm. But when I...
  24. bjlefebvre

Rogue Sphinx V3

The Rogue was used when I bought it, so I doubt it would be burn in. Also, and I know this is a controversial statement, but: ┳┻| ┻┳| ┳┻| ┻┳| ┳┻| ┻┳| ┳┻| ┻┳| •.•) I don't believe in burn in ┳┻|⊂ノ for anything besides ┻┳| speakers and cartridges I'm in the "it's your ears...
Back
Top Bottom