Search results

1. quadaptor

Heathkit AA-30 Tube Replacements

I am recapping a Heathkit AA-30 amp and have a question about the tubes on the circuit board. The tubes, as I suspect many of you know, are the increasingly hard to find 7199s. Are the tube adapters you see sold for swapping out 7199s on Dynaco ST-70s amps compatible with the AA-30? If so...
  2. quadaptor

How Hi Is Your HIFI?

I came across this little gem today at the local Goodwill. It appears to be a test record intended for determining how well your stylus and audio playback system works circa (I would guess) early 1960s. I included a close-up shot of the jacket notes which mostly pertain to Side A with the test...
  3. quadaptor

Dating My Cornwalls; Did I Get it Right?

The serial number on my Cornwalls is CBR 23U97. As I understand it, this translates into Cornwall Birch Raw with a production date of 1980. Is this correct? As such, I assume that my speakers are referred to as the Cornwall I. Also, what do the numbers 23 and 97 represent? Thanks much.
  4. quadaptor

What Would Be the One Marantz Amp to Get if...

I've pretty much settled into Fisher and Dynaco at this point in my HiFiMania but I have always kept en eye on Marantz. So my question is if one was to dip his toe into the Marantz pool, what would be the one amp/integrated amp/receiver to get? And I'm willing to entertain all price points for...
  5. quadaptor

After Years of Rolling Tubes...

After nearly 40-years of playing with tube amps I've developed an itch to experiment with early SS, namely Dynaco as I've always had a soft spot for that brand. Currently I've scratched that itch with a SCA-80Q, an SCA-50 and a PAT-4. However I also have been thinking of the ST-120 and the...
  6. quadaptor

Need Advice on Speaker Cable Quick Disconnect

I figure this is a good place to ask this question. I have two amps (Fisher 800B and two Dynaco Mk IIIs) set up in my listening space and would like to find a convenient way to switch them between a set of Klipsch Cornwalls. Does anyone make a quick disconnect for speaker wires? With a quick...
  7. quadaptor

Looking for DAC Recommendations

Come next year I plan on resurrecting a long held Fisher 800B for use as my primary amplifier. I also plan on coupling two Klipsch Cornwalls to the Fisher as well as plumbing in a turntable, internet tuner and Blue-ray player for movies and CDs. I'd like to know what DACs are out there that...
  8. quadaptor

Lab 80 Questions

Last night I reintroduced myself to my Garrard Lab 80. I picked the table up at an estate sale about five years ago and was lucky enough to get the "cake cover" dust cover. I had it checked out and installed a Sure M44-7 cart and everything seems to work fine. However, there is a little...
  9. quadaptor

Dynaco SS - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly ???

After years of having a variety of gear up on the shelf collecting dust I finally decided to pull down a Dynaco SCA 50 for repair. After getting it back from the shop I hooked it into an Dynaco system that includes an AF-6 tuner, SE-10 equalizer and QD-1 Quadaptor. The components are all...
  10. quadaptor

Looking for opinions on a compact woofer for a small satallite system

I'm putting together a modest vintage stereo system for a small bedroom and would like to know what woofers/sub woofers are out there (new or used) that fit in the space under a bed. I have some old Dynaco solid state equipment (integrated amp, equalizer and tuner) that will be used for power...
  11. quadaptor

Looking for some help with reading a can capacitor

I’m a novice with this stuff so I’m hoping someone can help me out. I have an old Heathkit AA 30 tube amp that I’d like to recap and figured it would make a good entry level project. The can capacitor is marked: 40-450 / 40-450 / 40-350 / 50-50 B-25-100 How exactly do I read this and can I...
  12. quadaptor

Fisher 800B - looking for a DAC and more

I have a Fisher 800B I’m trying to get back up and running and would like to expand its functionality. As you know, the unit has only one auxiliary input. I also have an older Cambridge Audio DACMagic I’ve used with the unit for its intended purpose and for increasing the capacity of the...
  13. quadaptor

Wall Mounts

I want to wall mount a TT and would like to see some of the ways in which forum members have did it. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!
  14. quadaptor

800B Can Caps Replacement - Looking For Advice

I just received a set of can caps from Tom at Hayseed Hamfest and will be replacing the caps in my 800B soon. Any advice in getting through this project is appreciated as I am a novice with electronic work. Many thanks in advance. I highly recommend Hayseed Hamfest and found Tom a great guy...
  15. quadaptor

Turntable Mats???

Turntable mats. Are they worth it or is it hype? I look at the different aftermarket mats and wonder if they will make any difference over factory mats. Anyway, your observations and comments are appreciated. What do you think?
  16. quadaptor

Metalbone and Hayseed Hamfest

I bought a Fisher 800B back in the late 80s with some issues but used it off and on over the years "as is." The time has come for some restoration work and to do it I decided to go with the Metalbone and Hayseed Hamfest restoration kits. But before I do I thought I'd ask if this is a sound...
  17. quadaptor

Reproducing the Fisher 800B Phono Section

So I'm sitting hear listening to Lee Konitz being pushed from a Garrard Lab 80 through a pair of Cornwalls via a Fisher 800B and was wondering if it's possible to reproduce the receiver's phono section in a stand alone unit. I don't know much about doing these types of things but I thought it...
  18. quadaptor

Garrard Lab 80 Spindle Removal

After looking on-line with not good results I have to ask how to remove the spindle. I want to change the record changer spindle out for the single play spindle, but I am concerned that there is something inside the pkatter that captures the assembly and needs to be loosened or removed. Anyway...
  19. quadaptor

Phonograph Circuit Improvements for Fisher 800s

Has anyone ever upgraded the phono circuit in Fisher's tube receivers, especially the 800B? Thanks!
  20. quadaptor

Shure M44-7 vs M91ED

I recently stumbled onto a Garrard Lab 80 table that has a Shure M44-7 cartridge. I also have a spare Shure M91ED. Is one of these carts preferable over the other for this table, or is there no real difference? Many thanks for your advice.
  21. quadaptor

Garrard Lab 80

I haven't posted in a while, but I found a Garrard Lab 80 with the funky clear plastic cake pan cover and a Sure M44-7 cartridge at an estate sale today for 60-bucks. I have a couple newer Garrards, but don't know that much about the Lab 80s. Maybe this is sacrelig, but is this thing worth...
  22. quadaptor

Dynaco MKIII Caps - Questions

After years of listening to Fisher, Heathkit, Scott, McIntosh and Dynaco (original and modded ST-70s) amps I have decided to rebuild a set of Dynaco MkIIIs to original specs to hear how well they can sound in stock form. I have purchased two boards from DynakitParts that were populated with...
  23. quadaptor

Laptop to DAC Connection

I haven't a lot of experience in doing this type of work, but my question is what is the best way to connect my laptop to my Cambridge Audio DacMagic DAC? I've tried using the USB ports but they don't seem to do the job. Many thanks for your help.
  24. quadaptor

Interesting Observation

I recently moved my set of Herseys from my Fisher 800B to a bedroom system powered by a Dynaco SCA80Q. I know one is a tube and the other a solid state powered amp, but the Dynaco introduced a punch into the bass range that the Fisher did not have. All things standing, I still like the Fisher.
  25. quadaptor

Dynaco MKIII Rebuild - Looking for Opinions

I have a pair of Dynaco MkIIIs I intend to rebuild this winter and was looking for opinions on options. I could go with a straight up restoration, but I am curious about various mods available. I've used stock and VTA modified ST-70s before and I'm a bit concerned the VTA mod for the MKIII...
Back
Top Bottom