Search results

1. 300man

Tis the season - Favorite Christmas Albums

Let me just say I am not the biggest Christmas music fan on Earth. However I do enjoy Spinning Christmas vinyl for a few days of the year. Was wondering what albums people like and the sound quality of those albums. I'll start with one of my favorites - Ray Charles The Spirit of Christmas My...
  2. 300man

AR ES1 and Stanton

Sitting here listening to my AR ES1 turntable with Stanton 861 series Cart and it has really hit it's stride. When I first purchased it from a fellow AKer I knew it was a beauty...Had a fresh Stanton Cart and stylus installed at the time of purchase. Was super clean and freshly serviced...
  3. 300man

Basement system Morph and dialing - Mac, Quicksilver and Altec oh my!

It's been a long and winding road, with a lot of fun, changes and learning along the way. All done on a reasonable budget which as most things changes with time. I guess you know you are getting close to a happy place with your system when you are buying things like decent quality power cords...
  4. 300man

Altec 604s back in service!

About 6 months ago I finally put my Altec 604s in 10 CU FT custom cabinets down in the finished basement... They had been in the upstairs part of the house since loading them and building the MW -XOs but the room was just to small. I started out powering them with a Rega SS Integrated Amp...
  5. 300man

Quicksilver Mid Mono Amps in the house!!

Have been cruising the classifieds for a few months looking for a tube Amp or Amps to use with my Altec 604s. I bought My first tube Amp about a year ago finding a modern Dynakit ST 70 build at a very reasonable price. It paired well with the 604s and sounded better then the SS setup I was using...
  6. 300man

Added a passive Sub and liking it!

The last change to my system was to move my LARGE 10 CU FT custom speaker cabinets loaded with Altec 604-8Gs down to the basement. I replaced them with revel M22 monitors on speaker stands a few months ago. Fast forward to last week when I "found" a 10 inch Design Acoustics PS SW passive sub...
  7. 300man

Help me ID what Dynakit I purchased

Just purchased this thinking it was a new dynakit build SCA - 35 build, but now not so sure?
  8. 300man

Giving Back, What have you given away lately?

Kind of going through a change on a personal level lately. Been giving back more than usual. I have been very lucky with a lot of great audio finds as well as other things... Gave away a Dynaco Amp and a technics linear tracking TT to a friend. Today gave a Gerstner 11 drawer oak machinists...
  9. 300man

Moved speakers closer together - Major soundstage shift

Recently setup a pair of Revel M22 speakers on stands in my listening area. The sound stage was in front of me, instruments and vocals hovering above and between the speakers. Yesterday I moved the speakers closer together about 7 feet on center. They've been 9 feet on center with me 9 feet back...
  10. 300man

My Audio Journey...

I don't know if anyone is interested in this but here goes anyway! I will try not to bore you, so I will pick things up in 2015 just before I retired. At that time my "system" was a Denon Multi channel AVR driving two sets of speakers...I know strike one LOL. BUT I basically would listen to one...
  11. 300man

HK T60 Spins to fast...?

Have not had the time to get inside this TT yet. I do know there are two internal speed adjustments and I hope they will do the trick. First LP i put on sounded like the Alvin and the CMs. Tried the external speed adjuster but still spinning to fast.
  12. 300man

Sometimes...Just sometimes, it's good to read the manual lol

Ok I'm going to fess up and admit a dumb moment I had yesterday...not the first and just might not be the last. I got a very nice used Pre Amp about a month ago. It was actually still new in the box, factory packed still in the plastic wrapping. Sealed with sealed remote, power cord and...
  13. 300man

First tubes in my system

Been a long time coming but yesterday I inserted a 8 Watt tube Amp into my system with excellent results! My latest system that has been together for a about week consists of a Marantz CD 6006, Marantz 2130 tuner, McIntosh C41 preamp, Audionics CC2 Amp and Altec 604 - 8Gs in custom 10 Cu Ft...
  14. 300man

Nice Marantz find today...had to have it

Went to look at some vintage gear today. The owner said he had a vintage Marantz receiver 2X30 something...I looked at some other nice items he had. He comes out of a back room carrying a box and it has the receiver in it wrapped in bubble wrap. He unwraps it and I take a look...my eyes got wide...
  15. 300man

My first Mcintosh - C41 followed me home

I have been looking for a good quality used SS preamp on and off for about a year. Not wanting to buy from the auction site, looking local. Wanted to be able to see, listen, feel...you get the idea. Every time something decent was advertised for a decent price, POOF it was sold quickly. But...
  16. 300man

Promo records and CDs How common?

I was at a thrift searching through the albums and CDs and came across a Bob Seger It's a mystery Promo CD. Has a couple of warning/legal notice decals on it, one on the inside of the case and one on the CD. Anyone else come across promo copies?
  17. 300man

You have concert tickets to go see...?

Talk about the tickets you scored and the band/artist you will be going to see. I have tickets to see Davey Knowles tomorrow at DH in Pawling NY. A small intimate venue with good acoustics and good food. Will be going to the early seating at 6:00PM. Looking forward to some rock and...
  18. 300man

Took a small system on the road

Have been going out to MI with my dirt bike club members for the last 5 years to ride for a week. The last few years we have been renting a large house and went back last week to the same location. The " Stereo System " in the house included a 100 disk CD player filled with CDs and locked so you...
  19. 300man

Picked up UREI 813 XOs and interesting detail Abby Road...

Drove out to PA yesterday and purchased a pair of UREI 813 Crossovers. After the transaction The owner explained he was a audio engineer. We started talking...what else, speakers. The conversation quickly lead to Altec and duplexes. He mentioned Abby Road Studio and a friend who had recorded the...
  20. 300man

Let's have some fun. What would your ultimate/dream system be capable of?

For starters mine would be able to make Led Zeppelin CDs sound like well mastered high quality recordings! It would also have a high tech, seamless, voice control of all functions even while at higher volume.
  21. 300man

The UREI 811A (Altec 604-8K driver) photos

After finding and reading a great story in db magazine's August 1983 issue on the history of the 604. Link to the article in pdf form in the pinned thread at the top of the Lansing Legacy Forum. I went to the basement to photo document my pair of what i believed to be all original UREI 811A with...
  22. 300man

And then it happened...total emersion.

My basement where I hang out most of the time has been going through a transition. A metamorphosis long over due, from a completely cluttered work place/shop to a man cave/listening room. Yesterday after spending 5 hours carving out more space I then had the opportunity (and space available) to...
  23. 300man

Audionics BP-2 Preamp and CC-2 Amp

Saw this pair for sale yesterday and did some research on the brand last night. I liked what I found out and read about, so I contacted the seller. Picked them up today and listened to the combo after letting them warm up for a hour. I liked the Combo, simple and straight forward. Powerful...
  24. 300man

Yamaha CR440 and RX596

I purchased a CR440 at a estate sale about 1 1/2 years ago. All functions worked as they should and was in good cosmetic condition. Some of the controls were a bit scratchy. I cleaned it up inside and out and have had it in service for about a year. I have it connected to a pair of University...
  25. 300man

Pat Metheny Group - Offramp

Went to the local thrift today and flipped through a box of about 20 albums. Found Pat Metheny Group - Offramp. The cover was a little worn but the album is super clean and in excellent condition. Listened to side one while working in the basement. Will have to listen again because my work...
Back
Top Bottom