Search results

1. RedShift42

Unpopular opinion

Billy Joel is little more than an absurdly overrated lounge act. There’s few songs that might drive me to violence towards audio equipment than Uptown Girl, Tell Her about It, and the grand poobah of all over-celebrated dogs—t hits: We Didn’t Start the Fire. Oh, and don’t get me started on...
  2. RedShift42

The Official -Technics SL-1600/1700/1800- Owners Thread

My SL-1311 came without a platter mat. Finding a replacement with correct specs that keeps VTA and platter diameter is proving a challenge. The ideal mat will be like the original at 4mm thick by 290mm (11 3/8”). Looking for something of quality; and Herbie’s, for example, seems to be...
  3. RedShift42

SL-1100-SL-1700 owners club

That platter edge looks great, what did you use to polish it? Would it be possible to conform your original platter mat thickness of 5/32 (~4mm)? Mine came without one; I’d obviously like to stick close to original spec.
  4. RedShift42

Goodwill/SA/Thrift Store Discussions & Finds

Perfect way to start December… Scored this gem today buried in that forlorn pile of forever-records every thrift store has. 50¢, doesn’t look or sound like it’s ever been played. Merry Christmas, indeed!
  5. RedShift42

Entry-level tube amp for teen?

Thanks for the replies. Still shopping. Also looking at the Dayton Audio/P-E HTA-series hybrids. Not looking for a purist experience, my daughter’s musical taste is slowly maturing and improving, so looking for something that would be a good gateway drug into Hi-Fi rather than the portable BT...
  6. RedShift42

Entry-level tube amp for teen?

Looking for recommendations for a sub-$250-ish modern tube amp for my teen daughter. Something that offers nice warm bedroom level sound (and bonus if it runs out of breath before reaching annoy-the-parents levels) and a set of well matched speakers. I’ve been eyeing the Rockville BluTube and...
  7. RedShift42

Purchased a Dayton Audio HTA20BT Hybrid Stereo Tube Amplifier.

What is the restock list, is that on PE?
  8. RedShift42

Classy Bluetooth speaker options?

I’m frustrated by the lack of classy minimalist Bluetooth sound systems I’ve been able to find, hoping for some suggestions. Most everything on the market looks like it was designed by and for 17-year-olds. I have a very nice, very small guest cabin that needs music. As much as I’d dearly love...
  9. RedShift42

Cheaper Technics turntable???

And the Sl-23 comes with the Grandmaster Flash pedigree of being the table that changed music. (Now whether that was for the better is another discussion)
  10. RedShift42

Ohm C2 Worth It?

Great way to resurrect an old thread like this. Good inspiration too, I’ve got a pair of C2’s that have been sitting in the garage awaiting attention for years. I’ve been determined to do the foam right, reversed like you did. Congrats on such a nice work
  11. RedShift42

Best vehicle for snow?

Just saw the news of massive overnight traffic backups in Washington DC— wondering if the OP, who was located in DC, is still around and how he has fared.
  12. RedShift42

I want vintage. I want pretty wood plinth. Go.

An option is finding a Pioneer PL-514/518/et al and having it veneered. They’re still reasonably plentiful and affordable. The nice thing is the tonearm & controls are self contained, so disassembly for the veneer job is quite reasonable. (Image from the web— my 518 is still on a shelf waiting...
  13. RedShift42

Found a chair, couldn’t help myself... Update...more chairs...and another today 8/4

Thanks for the info— never did figure out the chair’s make, but even in rough shape it sold pretty quickly. My mom intended to put it out at the curb on pick-up day, so the folks were pleasantly surprised. Someday I’ll have the real McCoy.
  14. RedShift42

Found a chair, couldn’t help myself... Update...more chairs...and another today 8/4

Back East helping my aging parents, this Eames knockoff is in their basement. Any ideas what it is and if it’s worth more than its garage-sale-special condition would suggest? No labels or markings.
  15. RedShift42

Good move leaving behind those square-driver Sony APM (“Advanced Pistonic Motion,” IIRC) speakers. Blech. Guy in college had those as part of a pricey complete Sony system— everybody crowded around in awe as he was setting it up then wandered off bored once it actually started playing. 30 yrs...
  16. RedShift42

Covideos- Your Favorite Plague, Virus, Apocalypse Movies

Better still, check out the book the movie was loosely based on. It really is exceptional. Clever, timely, and engrossing— intelligent far beyond the zombie/splatter thriller genre. The movie Perfect Sense, w/ Ewan McGregor & Eva Green, came out a decade ago, flew under the public radar bc it...
  17. RedShift42

I detest thievery, but these turkeys have actually helped me score a few times. “Do you have the power cord for this? I’m interested but no way to test it.“ “Sorry, no, I guess not. How about [half price/cheap/just take it]?“ That’s how I got my long-sought-after Technics SL-P3 for $2 (plus...
  18. RedShift42

Polish/restore sides of Platter?

Looks like a Technics SL-1301 platter-- been wondering how to polish mine like that-- and my wife has a Champion juicer, perfect! She's gonna be furious!
  19. RedShift42

HEIL AMT DATA THREAD

Nuts, don't have the xo's, will have to pop the tweeter out of something else and test off that signal, then figure out if these bricks get squirrell-ed away for a future project. The older I get, the more I'm appreciating good high-end
  20. RedShift42

Help ID a speaker, please. ADS?

Dang you guys are good, always impressed by this community's knowledge. That little bit of free space in the garage thanks you.
  21. RedShift42

Help ID a speaker, please. ADS?

Got excited when I first spotted these; The rounded corners, oak veneer, and heavy construction made me think ADS. But the cheap-ish looking tweeter, flat grille, and basic spring terminals make me think not. No identification of any kind to be found. *Really* trying to stick to my...
  22. RedShift42

HEIL AMT DATA THREAD

Years ago, driving home late on a Saturday night, I spotted an impressive set of speakers at a thrift store’s dumpster. No idea (at that time) what an ESS AMT 1B was, but they were too cool to not bring home for a look. Turned out to be FUBAR but I saved the massive tweeters for future...
  23. RedShift42

Don’t know how formal their pricing system there is, but probably worth questioning the price; that 9090 looks dusty and unimpressive enough with a seemingly absurd price to the typical employee. “I really like this old thing, but is that price right??” Worked for me once.
  24. RedShift42

"As the glue dries..." Post up your refoam jobs!

Au contraire. The original Ohm C2 woofers had a reversed foam, inside-out, if you will. So instead of convex, it was concave. Cuppy instead of bulgey. Innie, not outie. Few years ago I called Ohm— yes, still in business, still making speakers in Brooklyn NY— hoping for purpose-made bass-ackward...
  25. RedShift42

Pioneer PL-550 vs Technics 1200MK2

Was thinking the exact same thing. Kept wondering why the OP was getting such bad advice. OK, maybe not bad advice per se, an SL-1200 is a pretty solid investment, but a PL-550 for $250...?? Then I noticed the date. Makes me think, I know of one in perfect condition, gathering dust, guy wants...
Back
Top Bottom