Search results

1. river25

God gave me a nice little surprise

You're married to God! :thmbsp:
  2. river25

DENON DP-60L: Speed Unstable- replace which caps?

Yeah, you're right. I had a senior moment. Sorry mate. :)
  3. river25

DENON DP-60L: Speed Unstable- replace which caps?

Just read through this and not sure what to make of it.. in more ways than one... Anyway.... the head gap of .15mm should be adjusted using proper feeler gauges rather than paper. Normal printer paper, I think, is thinner than that. So if you adjusted the head gap using a bit of paper then...
  4. river25

The Sad Fate of Direct Drive Turntables...

Driver IC chips can blow, but mainly because they often have to drive heavy loads (for an IC) or the device they are driving (a transistor etc) can blow and thus cause the destruction of the driver chip. Normal TTL/CMOS chips are extremely reliable and rarely just go bad. Some certainly do, but...
  5. river25

Snsui Seven A/B'd against a Au 999

This is an often incorrect assumption. It depends on the design, manufacturing and components used. Can have bad, good or indifferent be it an integrated or receiver.
  6. river25

diy speaker source selector

Why not use a single double throw 4pole switch - either toggle or rotary variety - instead of 4 individual switches? It will save on cost, look neater (unless you like the look of switches) and save you the hassle of mechanically locking the switches together.
  7. river25

Sansui 881 problem... Help.

Hi, It could be a few different things, and the only way to find is to to start with the easy fixes. If they don't work then you may be looking at deeper issues which may require a technician (or yourself if you are handy with electronics). For starters I would De Ox the switches and pots...
  8. river25

Effects of a warm amp myth or reality??

My apologies. I did not wish to offend by linking something simplistic. It was an honest mistake. Your posts on this forum seem to lack knowledge in some of the more elementary aspects of amplification circuitry and operation. I thought the link would provide a good base level of information...
  9. river25

I dont understand why you would post such comments. I have answered questions and offered information and knowledge, based upon my experience as well as some links which can offer more detail. I was not rude or condescending, and I don't think I presented any poor attitude. Why would...
  10. river25

What do you mean by that?
  11. river25

And there's the rub! Depending upon ambient temperature and the heat generated by the devices (which varies due to source content and volume), there is no actual thermal stability. It changes according to the above.
  12. river25

Each manufacturer specifies their own warm up time. Sansui 9090 is 4+ minutes before bias adjustment. Yamaha A-1020 is 2 minutes. These short time periods are not enough to get the devices up to some specified temperature. And the difference in bias current on the 9090, from cold to been running...
  13. river25

I don't believe I mentioned reliability in my post. I was talking about the changing parameters of semiconductor devices due to temperature variance. Don't think I mentioned anything about vintage either. The changes in semiconductors over temperature is inherent in all semiconductors, and is...
  14. river25

Sure. 40 years of working with electronics has shown me many times the effects of heat on semiconductors. It's an intrinisic characteristic of semiconductors and needs to be accounted for in designs. Here's a link (one of many) that shows th effects of heat on a simple BJT...
  15. river25

Most electronics operates best at colder temperatures. As the semiconductor components heat up they change slightly and often for the worse as collector-base current increases, hfe changes and the power handling ability of the device is lowered and internal resistance increases. Basically...
  16. river25

What gives an amp punch and clarity ?

Well you can always have a go at re-capping the power supply and put in larger main power caps. Go for approx 50% increase in capacitance over the existing power caps - but make sure you have the same or higher voltage rating as the originals. That may help you with a bit more oomph and grunt...
  17. river25

None of my SS amps or receivers show any difference from initial cold power up.
  18. river25

I'm dumbfounded!

How does the music sound for you? You are on these forums so I figure you got some audio gear and enjoy listening, so just interested what you have, how it sounds and what tweaks etc you have done (or may do) to get more listening pleasure? I'm getting on a bit and I know my ears are not...
  19. river25

Where And How To Store Your Music?

Most of my CDs are ripped to MP3 not so much for space reasons, but they're perfectly fine for background music. Great for in the car, or on my personal player. When I wish to do more critical listening I will use the original source, be it vinyl or CD. We have a RAID5 NAS for storage, and...
  20. river25

New to me 9900Z

I have a 7900Z and it's a wonderful old receiver. I had to replace some bulbs and gave it a de-ox and she's going like a new one. I like the analog and digital tuning together, like many other manufacturers at that time, giving us poor customers both so we don't confused with this fang-dangled...
  21. river25

Is a record weight worth having?

Agree. However, I did purchase a record weight to try. I can't see the scientific rationale for them to offer a better sound, but until I try it I really cannot debate its merits. Makes no difference on any of the turntables or LPs I have played so far. Can add some benefit to slightly...
  22. river25

Lamp selection for bizarre, odd ball receiver?

... like some pics... and also voltage the bulbs use, and whether it is AC or DC.
  23. river25

Slew Rate

I prefer to simplify it. Regardless of how fast or slow the slew rate is in your amp, it will be magnitudes faster than the mechanical components, such as the stylus and the speakers. Lack of slew rate in audio amplifiers would provide an output that is distorted and have major SQ issues...
  24. river25

2 Amps 1 Set of Speakers - Risk Assessment

^ As above. You can use relays instead of switches if desired, but it adds to the cost and complexity. I have a situation coming up where I have 3 amps and one set of speakers, so I am going through the various options, and I think I'll be building my own switch box with relays.
  25. river25

Sign of the decline of CDs

Like cables, maybe we need OFCD (Oxygen Free CDs)!!!! :D
Back
Top Bottom