Search results

1. S

HPM-100 Tweeters (A Long Journey)

Hey AK I haven’t been on in a while. About two years ago I picked up a pair of HPM-100s. I spent a lot of work on them recapping the cross overs and resetting the magnet in one of the woofers. I had consistently gotten weird noises out of the high end in the right speaker (also the one I reset...
  2. S

Drive-in movie theaters, the "new" movie experience?

There's one in Northern Illinois that reopened last week and was sold out. I've been there many times before, even having gone there last year. It's a great experience and I'm glad they're doing so well. It seemed like every year might be their last.
  3. S

Going in circles. New cart/stylus time.

I have a similar Signet with a really nice line contact AT stylus. While it doesn't have the fullness you describe of the Shures I've used, I still prefer it. Having such a fine stylus really gets so much out of the grooves it's insane. It's probably about as close to listening to a master tape...
  4. S

Does anyone know if an SL-D202 dust cover will fit an SL-D2?

The SL-D1 2 and 3 should all have the same dustcovers. Every once in a while they pop up on eBay. However, the hinges are notorious for breaking. The hinges on my SL-D3 broke and I just stopped using the dust cover completely. Makes life easier if I’m being honest.
  5. S

Technics SLD2 turntable

If I’m not mistaken, the SL-D2 uses the same counterweight as the SL-1200.
  6. S

Technics SLD2 turntable

Dust covers are overrated. I ran a SL-D2 and now a SL-D3 for years without one. But it, buy an Audio Technica AT91R for it (and headshell if needed) and you’ll have a great turntable that will last a lifetime for under $100.
  7. S

1 set of speakers with 2 amp sources?

Surely something like this wouldn’t be too difficult to build, would it?
  8. S

New stylus for Sony PS-LX250h

It is a 211 series cartridge. However, since the tonearm is automatically set to track at 3-3.5 grams you need to use an ATN3600L stylus for proper usage. If a new stylus doesn’t help, I don’t know what else to say. You can’t adjust the tracking force or alignment of cartridge on your turntable.
  9. S

New member, picked up Technics SL-D2

I agree. Cleaning the spindle and hole on the platter every few months (with q tips dipped in rubbing alcohol) and lubricating with sewing machine oil works well.
  10. S

It’s not difficult if you know how to use a soldering iron. The best thing to do would be to desolder the cables from the inside of the unit at the RCA terminal board (where the RCA cables meet up with the tonearm wires). Then resolder in new cables.
  11. S

Dumping of AV Receivers - great opportunity - budget setup

I’ve confirmed that both speakers are properly connected; red to red and black to black. Should I change it up on one speaker to see if it makes a difference?
  12. S

Let's discuss cartridges, old, new, sound quality and such.

Speaking of Shure, I asked one of their employees in person (whom I had ran into at a previous job) about why they gave up on everything phonograph related last year. He said they just weren’t committed enough. Really? The M35X and SC35C have been more popular than ever and the M44-7 has been...
  13. S

So I did a “sound field settings” reset on the Sony AVR. Now when listening to analog sources an additional “ANALOG” text pops up on the display. Maybe it sounds clearer than before? I’m not sure. I still have to turn the bass up to 5+ to get it to sound the way I’m used to.
  14. S

I believe I have it set to no subwoofer. The “sw” text isn’t lit up either on the display.
  15. S

I looked through the settings on my newer AVR (Sony STR DH810) and when I set the front speaker size to “Large”, it doesn’t let me control the crossover for them. If I set it to “Small” it gives me that option. In the manual it states this. They are very large speakers, so it only seems...
  16. S

Let's discuss cartridges, old, new, sound quality and such.

I’ve owned many new and vintage carts over the past several years. I have yet to seek out a vintage cart on its own; they’ve all been acquisitions with a vintage turntable I’ve bought. I like how Audio Technica continues to make affordable carts/styli that are backwards compatible with older...
  17. S

I’ll second what others said: Deoxit the pitch control. You might even need to do this several times. I’ve owned a SL-D2, D3, and D303. If you want to upgrade the sound, pack the insides with modeling clay. Also gives the unit some more heft.
  18. S

That could be possible. I’ll have to look into that tomorrow.
  19. S

I’ve had decent results with AVR units from the late 90s to early 00s. I used to run a late 90s Sony AVR while I was in college and shortly afterwards. It was very convenient to have an optical input and phono input. It still functions well as the AVR for my mother’s TV set up. Newer AVRs I...
  20. S

Cutting the Cord

I’m a millennial and almost all of us never got cable TV when we started living on our own. I’ve lived in two houses with people my age. We get by with Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, and the occasional “free” streaming sites. If we really want to see a particular sporting event, we just go to a sports...
  21. S

Blue Tooth portable Cassette player

I’m all for it. There’s a minor cassette revival going on and I believe more buyers (typically hipsters) would be more likely to actually listen to their cassettes if they could buy a brand new player.
  22. S

"Audio's Toughest Challenge", aka Telarc 1812

I’ve always wondered what would track this record better: a high compliance stylus known for its tracking abilities (like a Shure with JICO SAS) or a low compliance heavy tracking stylus (Shure SC35C).
  23. S

advice on Signet cartridges

I have a Signet MR 5.0lc and currently use an ATN140LC stylus in it. When it’s time to upgrade I’ll go with a newer VM series stylus. Gotta love how Audio Technica future proofs their carts.
  24. S

advice on Signet cartridges

Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but the Signet 7EA looks like it’s compatible with the AT440MLb body, as well as the newer ATVMxxx series.
  25. S

A good DAC for Iphone and Andriod with vintage receiver.

So if you plug the camera adapter into the DAC (via USB), when you go to play music it automatically plays through USB?
Back
Top Bottom