Search results

1. Bluelobster

Opinion on buying a VTA ST-70 and a HK Citation ii

"The reason my butt squeaks is because I don't need Vaseline when I make a purchase" I've heard that about you Kanuks.
  2. Bluelobster

Opinion on buying a VTA ST-70 and a HK Citation ii

If you want it, just go get it. Don't pay attention to these goofs, they're all playing with Motorola console amps because their butts squeak. A fully updated, McShaned Duece is a jem, actually a crown jewel. If it was done by Jim (ask when because Jim has updated his scheme over the years) or...
  3. Bluelobster

Sherwood S-5000II, S-3000IV, Garrard Type A

Both are nice, you did good.
  4. Bluelobster

Push Pull Triode Mode Vs Pentode Mode

+3 on Poinz's Music Machine. I built one to his older layout about 8-10 years ago and enjoyed a very musical piece of equipment for some time. A very simple, low cost & parts spare amp that yields great results. Another option is to google Eli Duttman's "el cheapo" and modify the schematic for...
  5. Bluelobster

Denon DP59L armtube

Thanks for the vote of confidence. The stylus is a Soundsmith OCL ruby. With that cart/stylus combo I feel It was a good investment as I have seen these tables go for what I paid in less desirable condition.
  6. Bluelobster

Denon DP59L armtube

Counter weights are not my concern at the moment, they are easy. Armtubes/headshells are as I want to be able to swap carts.
  7. Bluelobster

Denon DP59L armtube

I'm in the set up/tuning stage with the Denon DP59l as I just got it. I'll have to do some rearranging / fung shuey to get both up at the same time. First impression is while the Denon is no slouch, the VPI has it beat on many levels. I really didn't get it for "critcal" listening. I wanted...
  8. Bluelobster

Denon DP59L armtube

I just picked up a DP59L turntable with a Grace F9 ruby cart. It was part impulse, part looking for something more practical as opposed to the VPI Scoutmaster (auto shutoff). One of the things I was hoping to do is have a spare headshell or armtube to mount other carts on (the JMW armtubes cost...
  9. Bluelobster

Replace selenium rectifier, resistor temperature?

Maybe because you have over 10 watts across it? look up ohms law.
  10. Bluelobster

Genalex Gold Lion 12ax7 vs Sovtek 12ax7LPS in phono pre

Key here is that your putting them in a phono stage. Your main concerns are, quiet because your amplifying from low input signal and neutral, you have lots more to go through to color the music.The LPS has a spiral, hum bucking, filament that makes them ideal for that position plus it is a...
  11. Bluelobster

Tube amp watts needed for Dahlquist DQ-10's?

I believe you were told this because because more than likely you would have an impedance mismatch between the upgraded preamp and the Sunfire amp. I would go back and ask why he said that and to explain himself so you understand what he is trying to save you from. That is a good dealer that...
  12. Bluelobster

Opinions on this Variac?

It is a variac .... like any other.
  13. Bluelobster

Audio Research SP6C

I was not aware of this article and a quick search yielded nothing on it. SP6A revision added regulated heater supply for gain stages, but cathode followers were powered with unregulated DC. Intermediate stage 2K21 cathode resistors were replaced with 1K21 or 1K5 to improve circuit´s stability...
  14. Bluelobster

Audio Research SP6C

Now I see them (in the picture, the pre isn't available) however I only see one being used in the schematic (same web page) on the sp6c inter stage 12ax7 as you said. On my schematic for the sp6c1 it seems to have no need for them as they are not shown. It could be they were left because they...
  15. Bluelobster

Audio Research SP6C

Both counts would be true. Call ARC and request one. They were $10 some years ago not sure about presently. I have an SP6c1, requested the manual. It does have a very clear and detailed schematic.Just for giggles I looked and do not see any pot to adjust voltage or current to the tube stages...
  16. Bluelobster

looking at fisher kx-200, should i go for it?

One advantage to the Kx-200 is it was sold as a kit. You can find the original instructions and parts list easily online and use them to guide yourself through a rebuild. Some parts may not be readily available as called out but a few questions and you can find suitable and affordable...
  17. Bluelobster

Which ST70 Kit To Buy

I think you guys forgot Joe Curcio. One of the ones who started it all and probably the best supported. http://www.curcioaudio.com/st7upg_3.htm Even has it's own forum. http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/dynaco/bbs.html
  18. Bluelobster

KT77 vs EL34 bias?

You know, you could just do a search and find what your looking for, might learn a few more things in the process. Beats the input your getting here.
  19. Bluelobster

KT77 vs EL34 bias?

Short answer probably not but you need to verify some things. You can safely get 22 watts from current production KT77 and have some head room left. So that with today's line voltage you have about 430 to 440 volts on the plates (assuming most circuits used these days. To check measure voltage...
  20. Bluelobster

Tap speaker matching?

Yes to both as the rule of thumb.... however you do need to look at the impedance charts for your speakers though to see why. Speakers are rated as a general, ball park if you will, impedance. If there are large dips down or if it spends a good portion of it time below 8 ohm you can guess where...
  21. Bluelobster

Not your usual tube question...

You fail to recognize the fact that audio was not the primary driver of tube development and research.
  22. Bluelobster

Tube recommendations for Citation V?

It has been known for some time that RCA and Sylvania 12by7a have higher gain than the GE.
  23. Bluelobster

As I recall setting the AC & DC balance is how you set the bias. So if your looking for a discrete trim pot perhaps your looking in the wrong place. http://www.mcshanedesign.net/adjust5.htm I understand the time thing, I'm often there myself but better to change that eventually to first...
  24. Bluelobster

which speaker taps to save

My thought is a switch is a bad idea. Another thing in the signal path that does not need to be there. I would wire the 8 and 16 if your thinking horns. Tube amps in general don't do well with impedance dips below 4 ohm. Just put a ring lug on the 4 ohm wire, then cap and tap it off under the...
  25. Bluelobster

Svetlana Winged "C" 6l6GC are stout enough to handle the higher voltages and have an authoritative sound to them. I can recommend the McShane upgrade as well as it's comprehensive, do the whole amp, not just the power supply. No slight on Sheldon Stokes, just my $.02.
Back
Top Bottom