Search results

1. vinylvalet

Oppo Sonica DAC

You use your smart phone or tablet; free Sonica app for OS or Android.
  2. vinylvalet

Oppo Sonica DAC

Yes, you can stream directly with the Sonica. I have no direct experience with your streaming setup but I'm guessing that you would get better sound with the Sonica, especially if you bypass the Peachtree DAC.
  3. vinylvalet

Oppo Sonica DAC

I haven't heard the stock Sonica. I had the dealer ship mine directly to Ric at EVS (tweakaudio.com) for his $700 single ended only mod. It's clearly better than my heavily modified Oppo BDP-105. I listen mostly to LPs on my LP only, vacuum tube main system. I use digital in secondary systems...
  4. vinylvalet

Schematic Links, Tube retail links, local tube testers

I've been using a Transcendent Sound tube tester that I built from a kit about ten years ago. It's been very reliable and versatile. Over the last twenty years I've purchased tubes from most of the vendors listed in this thread. I've had good experiences with one exception: Upscale Audio...
  5. vinylvalet

Where to buy tubes?

Great selection and service from both Jim McShane and Tube Depot.
  6. vinylvalet

Genalex Gold Line 6922 50% Failure Rate for Noise in 400 Hours or Less

A percentage of all new production tubes will have early failure for noise if you don't buy from a dealer that offers some level of break-in and sorting. This extra service usually cost less that an additional $5 per tube and is well worth it. As I state in my AA thread, I previously used the...
  7. vinylvalet

I'm contacting both the US distributor and manufacturer as I stated in my thread over at AA. Regarding other choices. The EH 6922 is much quieter and more reliable for 1/3 the cost. IMHO, the EH doesn't sound as good as the Genalex in my application but it's not bad. It's a good idea to pick...
  8. vinylvalet

See my thread at the Tubes Asylum of Audio Asylum. I lost six of twelve new production with break-in and screening from a reputable tube vendor. These were used in a phono stage and line stage. Failures in each, starting at 100 hours and continuing to 400 hours with a seventh sounding like it...
  9. vinylvalet

Welborne Labs business in trouble ? Be aware

I have had trouble with him as well. This has been going on for at least a decade. Many negative posts on AudioAsylum as well as other forums. With so many problems over the years I'm surprised to hear that he is still in "business". I once questioned a design parameter for one of his amps on an...
  10. vinylvalet

Returning to US

Thank you, that's good news, makes sense. Grado was one of my lines when I was a dealer, so I could probably still get one at cost. With this new information, I will most likely try the Statement Master1 first. I will report back, whether it works or not.
  11. vinylvalet

Returning to US

Thank you. Diyhifisupply Cole LCR tube phono stage with Silk step-up transformers, Herron VTSP-2 tube line stage, Diyhifisupply Lux 300B stereo amplifier. The 2M Black is on my list, thank you, sounds like a great cartridge for the money. If I could spend $2k, the Cadenza Bronze would be my...
  12. vinylvalet

Returning to US

Hey Ken, good to hear from someone that knows the area and surfs. You bet, going to miss it terribly. We're 200m back from the big rock that separates Grande and Ventanas, you can see if from Tamarindo. Sick break just to the south of the rock, only two or three or us out there on any given day...
  13. vinylvalet

Returning to US

Wow, amazing prices at Comet Supply. Thanks.
  14. vinylvalet

Returning to US

Thanks guys. Yes, the Grado Master1 cartridges would normally be on this kind of short list but they don't do well on the Graham arms.
  15. vinylvalet

Returning to US

After five years in Costa Rica, we're returning to the US. I have a Michell Orbe, Graham 2.2 and 12,000 LPs in storage. My phono stage can handle both MM and MC. Looking for a cartridge, around $1k. I've owned many cartridges in the past, mostly MC: Lyra, Dynavector, Van den Hul, Shelter, etc. I...
  16. vinylvalet

I love going to concerts but the ticket prices are insane

When I was going to tech school in Allentown, PA in 1974/75, there was a great little venue (cool, old school movie theater) just north of us called The Roxy Theater. Great acoustics and tickets at first were going for $2. Later they jacked them up to $2.50. Since most of the bands were not yet...
  17. vinylvalet

I love going to concerts but the ticket prices are insane

Don't blame the musicians. KentTeffeteller nailed it. The fascinating book, Ticketmasters, explains it all. http://www.amazon.com/Ticket-Masters-Concert-Industry-ebook/dp/B0074VPKAI/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1370549317&sr=1-2&keywords=ticketmasters
  18. vinylvalet

Greetings from Costa Rica

Thanks guys! Tripod, my best friends in CR are South Africans from near Durban. Sailed here on a 16m catamaran they built. Good luck with the Grundig. Gridslayer, I can make some mean gallo pinto (I prefer red beans). We're moving back to Tempe, AZ. Ballylongford, coffee for all! BTW...
  19. vinylvalet

Greetings from Costa Rica

I have been lurking here a long time although, during our five year stay in Costa Rica, I try not to think too much about audio since it’s impossible to really participate in the hobby at our remote jungle location. I must say, AK is a great group of folks who are very generous with their...
  20. vinylvalet

My DIY spiffy looking speaker cable guide..

Nice job by the OP. Thank you. Here's another good, inexpensive DIY speaker cable writeup: http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/whitelightning/moonshine.html
Back
Top Bottom