Search results

1. CharlieX

What's your ringtone?

The drum solo from Radar Love by Golden Earring or the clock bells/chimes from Time by Pink Floyd.
  2. CharlieX

So, what’s your best sounding record…?

Dire Straits - Love Over Gold. Warner Brothers Records(Quiex II pressing).
  3. CharlieX

My stupid mono dream?

Does it matter? Aren't mono records made these days cut on a stereo lathe? Any "stereo" effect from the cartridge will be silent when the channels are summed together.
  4. CharlieX

My stupid mono dream?

Save yourself the cost and expense of getting a mono cartridge and just sum the 2 stereo channels together into one with a Y-connector. Once you do that, surface noise will be reduced by half then listen to a single speaker to eliminate the phantom mono center effect.
  5. CharlieX

My SACD player (and favorite device) may have bitten the dust

The 6700 is alright. It was a stop gap measure before I shop around for a true universal player. COVID19 has dashed those hopes completely. The GUI interface is clunky. I'm not using the SongPAL app. I typically play SACD from start to end without skipping tracks. My Onkyo 805 AVR is...
  6. CharlieX

What Record Are You Hearing Now?

The High Road by Roxy Music.
  7. CharlieX

My SACD player (and favorite device) may have bitten the dust

My primary player, Marantz UD5005, died in January. I had to fall back to my previous player Pioneer DV45A to fill the gap. I went cheap on the UD5005's replacement with a Sony BDP-S6700 blu-ray player which also plays SACD(but not DVD-Audio discs like its big brother UBP-X700).
  8. CharlieX

The Big 4 of Half-Speed Mastering

Most of the CBS Mastersound discs suffer from this and the problem lies in the lack of EQ and bass loss from the half-speeding mastering. That's why that series is not high-regarded in sound quality. I think I have two of those discs: Sign Of The Times by Bob James and Born To Run by Bruce...
  9. CharlieX

To each, his own. I love ELO but Eldorado is not a favorite. I might be more excited if they were doing Face The Music or A New World Record but not willing to lay down $125 on any of them.
  10. CharlieX

Well, that is the crux of my issue with MoFi. I'm not that interested in anything they have done on One-Step or SACD for fork over the premium prices. They cover the same albums because they still sell in profitable numbers(and licensing issues). I understand that Eldorado by the Electric...
  11. CharlieX

That's not saying much because Donna's label, Casablanca Records, was not renowned for its high quality records. Like Motown, they had a well-earned reputation for pressing records on "inexpensive" vinyl. Same here. In fact, it has turned me off from MoFi products in general: I have little...
  12. CharlieX

Talking Book was recorded in 1973 so it was not digitally recorded. I think MoFi is intentionally diffuse in such details because the licensing record company does not want such details to be public or MoFi itself are uncertain about the source master tape. The Silver series is looked upon as...
  13. CharlieX

That's the Silver series and those are not Original Master Recordings. Something other than the master tape was used. 1st or 2nd generation master tape copy was used if the original is lost and not available. MoFi is very opaque on those details. I got one of these albums "Talking Book" by...
  14. CharlieX

Laserdisc concerts

I got a copy of Let It Be on DVD dubbed from Laserdisc. The disc was not mine but my friend's LD player stopped playing it. I don't think we'll ever see Let It Be released any time soon. https://www.soundandvision.com/content/remaster-class-star-wars
  15. CharlieX

Laserdisc concerts

It's available on DVD now. Now played back on a HDTV, it looks soft and muddy visually. The Roxy Music live CD Heart Still Beating pretty much is the same concert.
  16. CharlieX

Laserdisc concerts

Distant Sound Of Thunder by Pink Floyd. Once had the VHS cause the LD was expensive. Outside the Immersion sets, it's not available separately. Now, I only have The High Road by Roxy Music and Miles Davis & Quincy Jones-Live at Montreaux .
  17. CharlieX

DIANA by Diana Ross. Nautilus SuperDisc half-speed mastered audiophile record.
  18. CharlieX

Universal Disc Players - Sony UHP-H1

Answer to Q1: That all depends upon how the disc was authored. I have a few DVD-As and one DAD but no Blu-ray Audio discs. Some DVD-A discs will default to the Dolby Digital tracks on first play while others will go to the 5.1 channel MLP tracks.
  19. CharlieX

Blue Moves by Elton John.
  20. CharlieX

Sticky Fingers by the Rolling Stones
  21. CharlieX

What are you Listening To Right Now? - and more

The Grand Illusion by Styx. Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs Original Master Recording MFSL 1-026.
  22. CharlieX

What are you Listening To Right Now? - and more

The River by Bruce Springsteen
  23. CharlieX

What's the first piece of audio equipment you ever saved up for, or are saving for?

1984. Technics SA-120 stereo receiver. I had wanted a Marantz receiver but it was priced out of my budget. I got the Technics from the Post Exchange at Fort Hood and used the lay-away plan to pay for it. That receiver resides at my parents' home and, last time I checked, it still works.
  24. CharlieX

Secrets by Robert Palmer
Back
Top Bottom