Search results

1. O

Getting my son started...

That CD looks like a NEC CD-903. That is a collectable item and worth some coin. http://audio-database.com/NEC-AUTHENTIC/player/cd-903-e.html
  2. O

What are you listening to right now and on what speakers

Eric Clapton Unplugged as I'm easing into a Friday evening - Rotel transport, Bryston BDA-2 DAC. McIntosh C45 pre, McIntosh MC252 amp, Tannoy Buckingham speakers, ESS Heil AMT supertweeter (xover at 3.5k)...all told, about a third ton of gear.
  3. O

NS1000M for Tannoy Dual Concentric?

John at the Record Centre is a Tannoy/EV guy. I have bought and sold a lot of gear with John. Good guy and he is honest. Insofar as the Tannoy sound, I'd be happy to audition my pair for you. PM me if you are interested. In my kit, the Tannoys sound terrific (IMHO). YMMV.
  4. O

hi from Ottawa

Greetings from Vanier. I've been in the hobby for 35+ years. If you want to chat, send me a PM.
  5. O

What are these? (please don't say white van)

Since this is a Canadian speaker, why don't you post at canuckaudio.com (no affiliation). There are a lot of knowledgable people there who likely know the provenance of those speakers.
  6. O

You just had to have it didn't you?.......

I have one for sale if you are interested. PM me and we can discuss.
  7. O

"New" Buffet

Not a buffet but rather, a console table. Before my current cabinet, I was looking for a console table to hold my gear. Most couldn't support the weight and most were too shallow. I did see one but at 5k dollars that met my criteria but at that price, it was a bit much. Your console table...
  8. O

Mcintosh pricing

The MC252 is priced a little high. I purchased one for 3k CAD.
  9. O

I keep hearing this... and I cannot agree

I have one and it is built like a tank (45 lbs?). It has copper shielding and the tray was formed from cast aluminum for crying out loud. Few were made as they were a technology demonstrator trotted out to audio shows. Mine has never been repaired and it is still running strong. I have it in...
  10. O

Newbie from Aurora Ontario

Welcome fellow Canadian.
  11. O

Burlington custom speakers

Imagine is a speaker line of PSB. They are Canadian made. I have no idea as to the model number.
  12. O

Want to know what speakers you are using for your McIntosh Gear

I'm using Tannoy Windsor speakers: 12" low frequency driver with 10" high frequency dual concentric drivers. I also have an AMT1 Heil I use as a super tweeter that augments the Tannoy's.
  13. O

What Speakers have you found to sound best with McIntosh

Tannoy Dual Concentric works for me.
  14. O

Coming My Way

That is from an Ottawa member of CAM, correct?
  15. O

Thoughts on the C45

Is 1900 dollars (CDN) a good price? Without the tuner module?
  16. O

Thoughts on the C45

Good tip! Thanks. I sent the seller an email to confirm. I do indeed play a lot of vinyl.
  17. O

Thoughts on the C45

I am a relative newcomer to McIntosh. I have enjoyed my MC 252 for a couple of years but had it paired with a capable Rotel pre. I'm ready to jump into the world of Mc pre-amps and have an offer in for C 45. The C 45 seems to be a bit of a enigma. On the one hand, it gets good reviews for 2...
  18. O

New Wharfedale W70s in de house!

I was going to bid on those but I just have too much stuff. They were at the Montreal Road Salvation Army store in Vanier. Out of curiousity, how much was your winning bid? Paul - PM if you feel more comfortable that way.
  19. O

Speaker repair help!!!

You can always try having the woofer repaired. Has a tech looked at it?
  20. O

Replacing Heil AMT Tweeter Diaphragms or not

I appreciate that there is some risk involved but it really isn't that important. Changing the diaphragm is pretty straight forward. I just want to know if I can expect a sonic benefit.
  21. O

School me on Tannoy, please

Just to quibble, they are actually two drivers sharing a single axis / frame, right? Quibbling again, but that stereotype is sooooo 1974. :D Although I do think there is something (sort of, vaguely) of a "national sound" to many older UK and US speakers. Aren't some of the more recent...
  22. O

Replacing Heil AMT Tweeter Diaphragms or not

I have a pair of Heil's. They have their original diaphragms. All works well however, I have a fresh set of diaphragms in a drawer and was wondering: will replacing the old diaphragms with the new ones make a difference? Or, is this a case of "if it ain't broke don't fix it"? Has anyone done...
  23. O

School me on Tannoy, please

Tannoy has been around since the dawn of audio. In the UK, people refer to speakers in general as tannoys. Tannoy is popular in Europe, Japan and Canada amongst audiophiles. The older dual concentrics are very desirable and command a price of many thousands of dollars. The newer high end ones...
  24. O

How does ESS AMT-1a compare to other speakers?

With the ESS AMT, there are two things to keep in mind: - One, the heil driver is phenomenal. I use my heil driver crossed over at 3.5 kz with my current Tannoy speakers; - Two, the ESS AMT, 2 way designs were lacking. A heil driver sings at 2k and above. It however underperforms with...
  25. O

Rate YOUR Speakers You Own Right NOW.

600 square foot room Tannoy Windsors (aka baby Buckinghams), each with a 10" Tannoy Monitor Gold Dual Concentric for the high frequencies and a 12" gold low frequency driver. I'd rate these as a 10. I've augmented them with external Great Heil tweeters with a xover at 3.5k hz. Everything is...
Back
Top Bottom