Search results

1. Flyingbase

Any Advice for A New Engineer

I am graduating this coming May with a degree in Mechanical Engineering and a certificate in Thermal Energy Systems. I wanted to reach too out and see if anyone had any advice on the hiring process or in general for a new engineer.
  2. Flyingbase

Changing to Near Field Listening

I just moved into my new apartment for the year and decided to give near field listening to a try. So far I am really liking it. My system consists of a pair of restored KLH 17s (on the desk), an Onkyo TX-866 amp (in front of the right speaker), and M&K sub (on the end table right behind the...
  3. Flyingbase

Okay to leave powered sub plugged in?

I have an older Miller & Kreisel powered sub that does not have an on/off switch. In the past, I have always unplugged it when not in use in my new apartment it is much harder to get to the power cord. Is there any harm in leaving it plugged in all the time?
  4. Flyingbase

Do you use a subwoofer with music? Why or Why Not?

I know the use of a sub woofer is highly subjective (and opinionated) but I am curious to why some to use or not use subs? Personally I do much prefer a sub tuned so the only acoustic evidence of its presences is an extension into the lower frequency range and more authority when listening to...
  5. Flyingbase

Continued life of Vintage Gear

What are y'alls thoughts regarding the expect lifespan of the vintage gear so many of us love? I'm younger and hope to keep my gear running for another 50 years but is that reasonable to expect? Its concerning to think some of the modern offerings will someday be vintage, future generations are...
  6. Flyingbase

Where to go next with system

Been wrapped in a flurry of improvement and wondering where to go next so I can start keeping an eye out for things. Most likely I will not be doing any more upgrades for awhile but would like to start planning Current System: Speakers: KLH 17s freshly recapped and sealed. Pioneers CS99As - not...
  7. Flyingbase

Opionions on M&K MX 100 Sub

Found one up for sale in my area for $225 and was wondering if its a good sub. I've done some googling and found that many seem to like M&K products but have been unable to find anything regarding this particular model. Seller says its a dual 12" in push pull configuration, seems intriguing and...
  8. Flyingbase

Modern Sources and Volume Control

Since many modern sources like phones and laptops seem to put out more voltage than older sources many of our amps were built for how should one determine where the set the volume on a computer or laptop when using with these amps? It bothers me a little that I have no idea if I am producing...
  9. Flyingbase

Onkyo Tx-866 weak channel

I've got an onkyo Tx-866 that has a slightly weak left channel. I am able to balance the channels out by turning the balance knob about half to three quarters to the left. What could be causing this and how should I go about fixing it? Also is it harmful to the amp to keep using it with out...
  10. Flyingbase

KLH 17 and Accoustic Suppension Question

Hey everyone, I finally pulled the trigger and recapped and redoped my KLH 17s. Used dayton caps and AR vintage cloth surround sealant. Things are sounding very good! My question is, that after three coats of the sealant, I'm still getting very fast snap back on the driver when I gently push it...
  11. Flyingbase

Gearing up for recaping, question about testing drivers

Hey everyone, I'm getting ready to do a recap on two sets of speakers, my klh 17s and Pioneer CS99As. I have done quite a bit of checking on the internet regarding this and I think I have a pretty good handle on it. However, I would like to test all of the drivers to make sure they are all...
  12. Flyingbase

Anyone Else Sit Way to Close to Their System?

As I'm sitting here writing this post I am sitting in what I've dubbed the "music nest". A spot on my floor between my bed and speakers which puts me about a foot and half from my speakers. I find my self here a lot, often using my sub as a laptop rest (like I am now). Was curious if if anyone...
  13. Flyingbase

Help with Crown CDi 1000 repair

Through an interesting turn of events I recently acquired a crown CDi 1000 amplifier for free. The only problem it won't power on at all. After consulting with Crown, it seems the problem is likely in the power supply side of the amp. They suggested I check continuity on the fuse and power cord...
  14. Flyingbase

Need Quick Advice on Amplifier

Hey y'all I know it's been a while, been really busy with college, but I'm back home for the summer and looking to do some work on my audio system. The first, and biggest, step im looking to take is the purchase of an amplifier to power a sub woofer. I found a crown CDI 1000 used for $200 that...
  15. Flyingbase

Sub woofer glowing?

Hey yall So I was hanging with some friends and we had the volume cranked. For the fun I flipped up the subwoofer, a Bose acustamass sub, and looked down the vents. On the the really high volume something started glowing and flashing orange with the beat down inside the sub. This only happens...
  16. Flyingbase

A few newbie amp questions

I have been asked by a freind to DJ for his party, (very cool) so I want to make sure everything is ship shape with my amp, and that I'm not going to hurt anything from multiple hours of use at high level. It's an onkyo Tx-866 all buttons and switches work as well as all 4 speaker channels. I...
  17. Flyingbase

Looking to build a sub

Hey yall As the title says I am looking to build a sub for our Living room entertainment sytem. I have never built a speaker before but do have access to a complete wood shop with all the basic wood working tools. I was hoping yall could help me choose which sub to build. Here are the...
  18. Flyingbase

Speakers from my Grandpa

Hey everyone Tonight I was at my grandparents and he said he had some old speakers he didn't have a use for anymore. I checked them out and they were Pioneer CS-99AS. From what I've gathered there an okay sounding speaker. I've hooked them up and they do sound pretty good. What does everyone...
  19. Flyingbase

First project, which sub?

Hey y'all I've got a couple of questions about DIY subs. My dad is into wood working and I am into audio stuff and we decided we wanted to combine our interests and build a sub for our tv stereo system since we need one anyways. Before we do that though we to do a smaller less expensive...
  20. Flyingbase

Something off with my KLH 17 cross over?

Hey everyone I finally got around to opening up one of my KLH 17s and thinking about a recap. When I opened it I noticed a few things. 1. The little ring around that goes between the box and the speaker was white and seemed to be made of a different material from what I've seen in of the 17s...
  21. Flyingbase

Baffled by ohms, but scored new speakers

Hey everyone When I was at my cabin yesterday I decided to go hunting for the old speakers I knew my grandfather had given to us. I eventually found them being used as an end table by a couch. The speakers turned out to be KLH model 17s. They appear to be in great condition but I have not had...
  22. Flyingbase

Something wrong with sub?

Hey everyone I have an old passive sub that I use as part of my bedroom system. I happened to glance down the two sound ports and saw this. One of the ports seems to have a wad of cotton ball like material half way down the port. The other port has nothing and it goes all the way to...
  23. Flyingbase

My bedroom stereo system

Hey everyone I was wondering what y'all thought of my bedroom system. Everything was found in my basement. The receiver I am using is the Onkyo TX-866 complete with original antennas and remote. It seems to be function perfectly. For speakers I am using the older Bose AM-5. I believe it...
  24. Flyingbase

Greetings everyone (:

Hey everyone Im excited to be a part if this Fourm. I'm into most types of music and care abiut how it sounds. Just a warning to everyone expect lots of questions since Im new at all of this. (:
Back
Top Bottom