Search results

1. G

Need help with tantalum cap replacement

WTF I love Tantalum capacitors even more now.
  2. G

Years ago tantalum capacitors were thought to not need derating . Thats why many manufacturers placed 16V caps on a 15V line. If you notice in my original comment I was taking about replacing tantalum with aluminum electrolytic. Are you going to pay $70 for a wet tantalum? Im not. I just...
  3. G

How to prep a brand-new soldering iron?

Use a good tinning/cleaning paste Hakko makes the best I have seen its like $5 I use R/O water on my sponge but I normally use a brass wire sponge (no water needed) The thermal shock of the cold water will decrease tip life I usually tin my tip at shut down to prevent oxidation Temp is...
  4. G

I guess I'm confused then. I just measured the ESR on a 6.8uf 35V dipped tant it came out to about 1 on my ESR meter. Then I measured a 6.8uf 35V aluminum can it came out at about 2.8 Now go ahead and replace 25 of those dipped tants with 1 ESR with 25 aluminum cans with close to 3 ESR. What...
  5. G

This is my opinion and my opinion only. When replacing tants with aluminum electrolytic I will increase the capacitance in order to match ESR unless I can fit a low ESR aluminum organic polymer then I will sometimes even go slightly lower in capacitance.
  6. G

Parts lists for recapping popular amps/receivers?

Someone had to dig through schematics to make the lists.
  7. G

Desoldering station

For all you 808 users. Here is a tip for saving your pre and ceramic filters. Put a dab of chore boy in the tube. Not much,just enough.
  8. G

Real question on why use a tuner.

They sound great and if you have decent stations... Why not?
  9. G

The Rest of the World Doesn't Care About Vintage Stuff

Thats it. I just threw my 8080db in the garbage
  10. G

Best brush for wet cleaning

Im using a okki nokki. The bristles are held in on metal posts and they rusted causing them to fall out. I didn't know they made a plastic one I will look for that.
  11. G

What do you attach them to for a handle?
  12. G

My okki nokki brush fell apart so I'm looking for a new brush for wet cleaning. What would you guys recommend?
  13. G

Lets see your rise time

I know the Tektronix type 109 pulse generator uses a mercury reed switch. The downside to them is they have a very limited life and are filled with mercury.
  14. G

Lets see your rise time

I'm sorry. I'll try to do better next time.
  15. G

Lets see your rise time

This TD is the fastest rise i have AND it requires a 100V pulse so that kind of sucks. I would love to see some pictures of your stuff.
  16. G

Lets see your rise time

No. Im showing you the rise time of a 485 oscilloscope when fed a high amplitude pulse coupled with a tunnel diode. Do you have some pictures of the rise time of your scope to share? I figured since there are a lot of scope experts here,there would be plenty of pictures of their calibration and...
  17. G

Lets see your rise time

1ns/div 10mV/div into 50ohm. Pulser is a 125ps tunnel diode.485risetime by particleman7 posted May 18, 2018 at 6:56 PM
  18. G

Crazy repairs- why I never have any time

I'm looking for a reasonably priced cart.
  19. G

Audio Repair do it yourself of send it out?

What kind of communication are you looking for? I really don't understand this thread at all.
  20. G

Crazy repairs- why I never have any time

Funny. I ran into the same issue today working on a 453 with no Alt. Im going to have to remove the vertical amp board to fix it. Im not looking forward to doing that. Used the 7ct1n to find the bad transistor now Alt works :)
  21. G

Good use of amplifier

Its all about the quality of components. I have caps in some 50 year old equipment that are fine. Others fail after very few years.
  22. G

Vinyl vs CD vs Amazon Music vs ripped AIFF???

Thats it. I'm throwing out all my vinyl albums and turntables.
  23. G

So I bought an oscilloscope......hmm how'd I do?

Like I said in my first post. All that matters it what you think and want. My first scope was a 2213a no b delay just a basic starter scope. I still have it and it is most likely all I need. I appreciate the thought and design that went into some of the Tektronix oscilloscopes so here I am with...
  24. G

If you want to look at a signal and see what is actually happening at a certain point delay works a treat.
  25. G

I have 8 scopes (its my addiction). If you want an opinion... I would have bought an old Tek. 453,465 ect. I picked up another 468 a few days ago for $125 shipped. only 20mhz no biggy but...I see no delay option, slow sweeps.
Back
Top Bottom