Search results

1. Calypte

Official AR Turntable Owners Thread

Thank you to those of you who've offered advice on enhancing the performance of my near-stock 1969 AR XA turntable. It's the turntable in my profile pic. I will keep your advice well in mind as I use this turntable. I know I cleaned and reoiled the bearing a few years ago, perhaps heeding...
  2. Calypte

Let me ask this: how important is the foam washer at the top of the bearing well?
  3. Calypte

I have a stock AR XA from 1969. I bought this turntable for my father in Sep 1969. After he passed in 2007, I retrieved the turntable. I installed a new cartridge (was originally an M75E, now an AT95E), bought a new belt, and bought a couple of reproduction headshells. I've also bought a...
  4. Calypte

Dust!

I mentioned earlier that I have two carbon fiber brushes. One of them was sold under the brand name "Music & Sound Imports." It has two rows of bristles. You rotate the brush past the handle to scrape off the collected dust on a rubber or foam pad. It does a good job of sweeping the dust...
  5. Calypte

Dust!

I'm unfamiliar with this product. Where might I find it?
  6. Calypte

Dust!

When sent my Oppo Blu-Ray player in for service several years ago, they said they had to clean it up and remove the "animal hairs." But chihuahua fur isn't my main problem with the LPs. Most of the stuff is much smaller than that.
  7. Calypte

Dust!

I watched a Michael Fremer video on Youtube where he "tests" (quotation marks because, by his own admission, it's not scientific) three different record brushes. The test is from 2014. The cheapest brush of the three is an Audioquest brush, which appears to be identical to the brush from Music...
  8. Calypte

Dust!

Doctor Fuse: I like your avatar :) I'm not sure that ignoring the dust is what I want to do. Yes, I have a Littlite over the turntable. And it makes the dust plenty visible. But, IMHO, it just reveals the seriousness of the problem that I'd like to solve.
  9. Calypte

Dust!

I live in a dry climate. So. Calif. interior mountains. Some of you would call this "desert." It's not, but anybody from the East Coast would call this "desert." It's actually the upper elevation of chaparral. Right now it's very dry. After using the carbon fiber brush on one disc last...
  10. Calypte

Dust!

I've been playing LP records since 1959. Yes, I was late to the game. I've gone through the Disc Preener, DiscWasher, and currently two different carbon-fiber brushes. I can push the dust around. I can pile it into a line. I can push some of it off the edge. But I can't remove it! How do...
  11. Calypte

Comparison of 3 Phono Pre-Amps

Does it matter?
  12. Calypte

My Emotiva UMC-200 rapidly died over a couple of days. Emotiva told me they couldn't repair it. I liked it a lot. I liked that it had easily accessible 7.1 inputs, which could be selected just like any other input. The Marantz receiver has 7.1 inputs, but you have to do something special to...
  13. Calypte

I haven't tried it.
  14. Calypte

Interesting. I have -- at the moment -- two phono preamps: Schiit Mani and Parasound Xphono USB. I bought the Parasound a couple of years ago specifically to digitize LPs. For this function it worked well. But my Emotiva UMC200 pre/pro died last November, and I replaced it with a Marantz...
  15. Calypte

What Arm Do Grado Cartridges prefer

I'm looking for it. I can't find it. Update: Sorry, I found it!
  16. Calypte

Linn LP12-Am I missing something?

I bought one in 1986 with Valhalla and Basik Plus arm. It was about $850. I still have it, but not the Basik Plus arm.
  17. Calypte

How many have never used a 45rpm record?

The only 45s I had when I was young were a few promotional items. Since most of my listening since I was 15 (1960) has been classical music and some jazz, I never had much use for 45 rpm. These days I have a gigantic total of two 45-rpm LPs (issued by EMI around 1980).
  18. Calypte

Schiit Mani Dying After 2-1/2 Years. You Must Hold A Prayer Vigil

I understand that maybe you don't want to put up with this Schiit anymore (sorry, but I couldn't resist). But maybe a phone call would've gotten better results. I have a Schiit Mani, whose sound I prefer to my Parasound Zphono USB.
  19. Calypte

Jelco SA250ST/Audioquest PT6 tonearm

I have an Audioquest PT6 arm. Has anybody here worked with these arms? Do you know the size of the grub or set screw that secures the counterweight shaft? I think the screw is probably 2 or 3 mm in diameter, probably closer to 2 mm. There are kits of grub screws available on Ebay, but I...
  20. Calypte

Grace F8 series

I had a Grace F8L years ago. I loved it. I wished I could get an authentic stylus.
  21. Calypte

ADC XLM Chart

I have an XLM rolling around in a spares box. It has flat pins. They were a bitch for plugging in the tonearm leads.
  22. Calypte

Linn vs Thorens Smackdown. Who Will Win?

Here's another vote for the AR XA. That's one in my avatar. A few years ago parts were a problem. Headshells were treated like rare archeological artifacts. But now you can buy new headshells. You can even get one with an adjustable insert that allows adjusting stylus overhang with modern...
  23. Calypte

Linn vs Thorens Smackdown. Who Will Win?

I have no experience with the Thorens, except to note that in the 1970s I lusted after the TD-125. I have a Linn LP12, bought in 1986. I went through three Valhalla boards over the years. They tend to self-destruct in time. I would be leery of buying an LP12 with Valhalla, unless you get a...
  24. Calypte

phono stage recommendations

Please forgive my ignorance, but -- do the SUTs you sell provide for different resistances, or must the LOMC and transformer be specifically matched?
  25. Calypte

AR XA arm damping question

In the 1960s we obsessed about tracking force. ADC and Shure seemed to lead the race to the minimum. I usually ran my V15 Type II, and the V15 Type III that followed it, at around 1 gram. I also had a couple of ADCs in those days, and I think I ran them at 1 gram. In the old days, record...
Back
Top Bottom