Search results

1. bce22

Turntable recommendation - MM (Signet TK10ML)

Thanks for the recommendations! I will definitely look into those tables. I know this cart needs a "light" arm. Anyone else use these types of MMs that can recommend an upgrade path for me?
  2. bce22

Supercharged - Maverick Audio TubeMagic D2 DAC

I can't believe this thread has lasted all these years!!! I'm still rocking my Maverick and the Tesla tube. It's a great, great value!!!! Love the fact that all of you are enjoying this highway robbery of a DAC.
  3. bce22

Turntable recommendation - MM (Signet TK10ML)

Good Evening, I have an original Thorens TD-160 MKII turntable and I have a Signet TK9ea with a new Signet TK9lca stylus and a replacement TK10ml stylus waiting in the wings. This is a very high quality MM cart/stylus setup being held back by my table/arm. I'm looking for recommendations for...
  4. bce22

Lafayette KT-550 - Help bypass/disconnect bias meter circuit

Okay, update. so the 10ohm 1 watt resistors are installed with the original wires running to pin 8 disconnected and tied off. The bias pots work and I am able to bias the output tubes to .50v to get 50ma on each tube. The selector switch no longer does anything. The bias pots all work with...
  5. bce22

Got it! There are ground points that I can use for the resistors directly without the need of a wire. So if i understnad correctly, all I need to do is disconnect the original wiring in pin 8 that goes to the switch and tie it off. Correct?
  6. bce22

Good Evening AKers, I have a new-to-me Lafayette 550 that I am looking for assistance with setting the bias. The amp is in pretty good working order and has been refurbished, but I have issues with the bias. I purchased new output tubes from Jim McShane and re-wired the pins to work with 6L6...
  7. bce22

I'm going to be installing the Sparkos Voltage Regulators tonight. It'll be a bit before I provide full listening impressions. I'm interested to hear if there are any sonic improvements over stock.
  8. bce22

Fisher 400-C Restoration

As I prepare for the next phase of my restoration, are there any tricks to accessing: 1. The preamp and the RIAA switch areas? 2. The bottom side of the 4 selector switch area and the back of the controls? I have to be honest, pulling the unit further apart without some idea of what steps...
  9. bce22

Fisher 400-C Restoration

Got it! Turns out it was my meter. I have a test lead kit that has the quick disconnects that allow for different leads to be connected. The alligator lead wasn't making good contact and I wasn't getting a reading. Turns out that when I switched leads it works! Occam's Razor for sure.
  10. bce22

Fisher 400-C Restoration

I know right?, I had the Ohmite Brown Devils already in the house, so I figured I would use them in that location. The Red/Yellow lead is soldered to the grounding tab of the can closest to the rectifier tube. i haven't touched this lead since I installed the can caps and it worked...
  11. bce22

Fisher 400-C Restoration

Here are a bunch of pics after the work so far: PS: I am still waiting for my 1uF caps to arrive. Once they come in , the Aerovox .47uF caps are going. On a side note. Interesting to learn that these caps were made in the old whaling town of New Bedford, MA. less than an hour away from my...
  12. bce22

Fisher 400-C Restoration

Thanks everyone for all the info and knowledge on the 400-C volume control. I sent a couple of emails to Mark Oppat early in the week. Unfortunately he hasn't responded as of yet. This weekend I spent a good amount of time continuing with my restoration. Previously I had rebuilt the power...
  13. bce22

I also have obligatto golds here that I might roll in for the output caps and compare them to the Jantzen caps. The Sparkos discrete voltage regulators should be arriving tomorrow. I'm in the process of restoring a Fisher 400-C preamp so I am going to refrain from installing the VRs until after...
  14. bce22

Fisher 400-C Restoration

It's confirmed. The issue is in the volume pot. Perfectly balanced when at 100%. What is the solution for fixing the imbalance?
  15. bce22

Fisher 400-C Restoration

Yes, it is a great idea. My money is on the volume pot since I can clearly hear a change in the level of imbalance from low volume (worse) and higher volume (better). I'll turn down the volume on my laptop and open the 400-C all the way.
  16. bce22

I'm willing to check as well. Will do so tomorrow.
  17. bce22

Fisher 400-C Restoration

After spending 4 hours critically listening to the 400-C I can say a few of things: 1. I really need to lift the channel A T-Strips and tie them to Channel B. There is definitely still a hum. 2. I have a channel imbalance. It was there before the power supply rebuild. It's pretty bad as I have...
  18. bce22

x202b speaker connection question

The Fisher x202b is an awesome piece of kit. I have the stripped down, then stripped down again and then simplified version, better known as the KX-200. Restored it simply rocks. Would love to have the x202b or x1000 some day.
  19. bce22

Fisher 400-C Restoration

Just wanted to say that the 400-C feeding an H/K 730 is pretty special. Always liked the H/K but never loved it. Bypassing the preamp and using it as a power-amp only with the Fisher pre is a really nice match!
  20. bce22

By the way, awesome unit! I'm jealous!
  21. bce22

Connect both positive and negative to the lugs under left speaker, then connect the short cable attached to the unit to the appropriate impedance for your speakers. Check out the owners manual...
  22. bce22

Hey Eizner, are we certain that it cannot be upgraded without changing the topology?
  23. bce22

Negative to Com and positive to the impedance of your speakers (4/8/16) Right channel (channel B) is the bottom connections in most cases. Both channels should be hooked up the same with negative to Com.
  24. bce22

So I decided to try the Sparkos Labs voltage regulators. Im upgrading all 4 of them. Listening impressions to come. My expectations are of minor improvements but we will see. sKIZo, fuse replacement ya think?
  25. bce22

Fisher 400-C Restoration

That's a bingo! The barrel was grounded directly in my unit. I used some nylon hardware to isolate the metal bulb housing from the chassis. I figured this out when after all my work I had 26V again. Isolating the bulb housing was the final piece of the power supply restoration puzzle. I...
Back
Top Bottom