Search results

1. Kreshna

AIWA users thread here!

They have many sweet mini systems IIRC. Aiwa is one of the most memorable things from the 90s.
  2. Kreshna

AIWA users thread here!

Aiwa, eh? Here we are using my late mother's Aiwa component system as temporary solution while our HTPC is being upgraded. Nope, we don't use audio rack. But the gears are pretty safe under the table. Replacing the AVR with the said Aiwa component system, especially since an AVR is pretty...
  3. Kreshna

Yamaha claims bypassing DSP equals nirvana

Pardon the necro. My good ole Yamaha RX-V663 also sounds a bit dull when using "Pure Direct". I use JBL titanium-domed speakers for the living room (JBL 120Tis, a single JBL 4410 for center, and JBL LX44s for rear speakers), the dullness is not that severe. But when using NHT SuperZeroes, the...
  4. Kreshna

Happy Birthday Kreshna!

Thank you everyone! :) It's been very long since my latest activity on AK. It's been a very busy year, especially November, since everything has to be settled before mid-December (I'm a government contractor, long story). My wife and daughters also gave me a birthday surprise last Wednesday...
  5. Kreshna

Non-vintage, DIY or budget speakers that sound similar to NHT SuperZero?

KEF Q100 also gets bad review.
  6. Kreshna

What are full range speakers for?

Wait, I thought the description above applied to full range single driver instead of full range loudspeaker.
  7. Kreshna

Thank you, @BigElCat , all is good then. Anyway, any thoughts about SuperOne 2.1?
  8. Kreshna

What are full range speakers for?

It's perhaps either marketing jargon or simplification for layman consumers, or both. Like @SleeperSupra said, there are not very many speakers that are truly full range. It seems the expression "full range speakers" is meant for large speakers; that is, speakers that don't need subwoofer to...
  9. Kreshna

That thought also crossed my mind. However, since I can only buy new items (though I can buy used items with some tricks, but it's not easy), then, just like SuperZero, I can only buy SuperOne 2.1. I cannot buy the original SuperOne, just like I cannot buy the original SuperZero. Now, NHT...
  10. Kreshna

Thank you, @onwardjames . As for recap, perhaps you might want to try what I did? At first, trumpet sounded harsh, but the sound mellowed with time, even when the speakers haven't been used. So no, I did not break the speakers in; I merely put the SuperZeroes away and not using them for almost...
  11. Kreshna

I see, thanks. I take it Fostex Zigmahornet also sounds better than Merrill Zigmahornet, no?
  12. Kreshna

I bet they look nice. The original SuperZero's piano black actually matches the retro look of my Sansui AU-7900. Mine are SuperZero XU, with curved futuristic look that don't quite match the AU-7900. Are Coral Holey Baskets still available new? What if I replace them with FE103En, which are...
  13. Kreshna

I just wonder, while we're at it, are you required to declare item value and item "newness" (to declare whether the item is used or new) when sending locally in the United States? Does USPS strictly require you to declare whether the item is new or used when shipping locally in the US? No, my...
  14. Kreshna

You have three SuperZeros? Let me know if you are bored of them.
  15. Kreshna

So, made some zigmahornets.

Pardon the necro, but your description of their sound really stirs my interest, @jeffn . Is it safe to say they sound similar to NHT SuperZero? I mean, tonality must be differen;. I don't think there are two different speaker models that sound exactly the same. But I'm interested in four things...
  16. Kreshna

What are your "unexpectedly good" loudspeaker-amplifier combos?

After almost two years of disuse due to recap that resulted in ear-hurting trumpet sound, suddenly my NHT SuperZeros sound nice again despite I didn't bother to break them in. Full story here. Suggestions are most welcome. My SuperZeros, in A/B comparison with JBL L20Ts.
  17. Kreshna

Believe it or not I no longer long for the airiness of JBL titanium dome tweeter. About two years ago I complained that Solen caps in NHT SuperZero make trumpet sound harsh, so I put those little guys away. Recently, my Sansui AU-7900 has been fully restored (yes, the Sui broke again after the...
  18. Kreshna

I am a father again! :)

Thanks! They have been enjoying the recently restored JBL LX44s in the living room. The JBL 120Tis, and the single JBL 4410 "center speaker," are currently being restored. When the restoration is done, the LX44 will take the role of rear speakers in a surround setup. Their bass pretty deep, and...
  19. Kreshna

I am a father again! :)

Thank you! Sorry for the late reply, I was down with severe typhus somewhere around October 30 last year, and once recovered, I became very busy due to end-of-year work, hence my long absence from AK.
  20. Kreshna

Well I actually like titanium dome tweeters --cymbals and the likes. But they sound best when driven by the likes of Sansui AU-7900 or Sansui AU-555. Rotel is also nice, but Sansui sounds airier, while Rotel sounds more chocolatey.
  21. Kreshna

Although, well, the problem with JBL titanium domed speakers is that they can sound crap with the wrong amplifier --regardless of volume. My L20Ts sound grainy when driven by Sansui A40, bassy and midrangey when driven by Rotel RB-985, and sounds nice and airy when driven by Sansui AU-7900.
  22. Kreshna

Well this is my experience so far: NHT SuperZeros sound very well at high volumes, but they become very midrangey at low volumes. B&W DM302s sound nice at low to moderate volumes, but they sound strained and shouty at high volumes when driven by wrong amplifiers --and the B&Ws are very picky...
  23. Kreshna

You mean like this? Very interesting, although I'm actually looking to build 3 channel amp. I see. Well, the RX-V663-DM302s combo usually strains and distorts when I played it loud. When the RX-V663 drives easier load speakers, like JBL 120Ti, it never distorts no matter how loud I raise the...
  24. Kreshna

Indeed, but despite their high sensitivity, B&W DM302s are difficult load, with impedance dropping to 3 ohms in certain frequency ranges. Among the amps I own, and before I tried the TPA3116, only Sansui AU-7900 can drive the DM302s without strain nor distortion at all. Indeed. I knew the...
Back
Top Bottom