Search results

1. ethangsmith

Hafler DH-101 preamp. No gain in L channel.

Turned on the Hafler DH-101 and DH-200 this evening to discover the left channel has no gain. It's not the amp as connecting an audio source directly to it causes both channels to play as normal. Connecting an audio source to the input of the "EXT PATCH" jacks on the rear of the preamp...
  2. ethangsmith

Hafler DH-200/220 or Dynaco Stereo 410?

I have a pair of power hungry EPI 201 speakers that my Kenwood KA-8100 drives, but struggles with. It gets hot and doesn't seem to really push them when I turn up the volume. I'm looking for a bit more power and something that will handle the speakers a little better (I run them in 4 ohm mode)...
  3. ethangsmith

Realistic TM-150. Can you adjust the tuner?

I got a little Realistic TM-150 mini tuner and the station does not correlate to the location of the tuning needle. It also seems to have slightly odd reception. Is there a way to adjust the tiny little tuning cap in there? Looks like there are 4 screws on top of it that would be for adjustment...
  4. ethangsmith

Kenwood KT-8300- too sensitive?

Hi folks, I started recently using my Kenwood KT-8300 tuner with my KA-8100 amp and I noticed an odd occurrence. Right next to the Kenwood tuner sits my Pioneer SX-838 receiver, which gets ok (But not great) FM reception. Stations that are a "2" on the signal strength meter on the 838 are a 4...
  5. ethangsmith

Sansui 661 L channel popping, going into protection.

While listening to my Sansui 661 this afternoon, the left channel started crackling and popping and the protection relay started clicking in and out. On checking DC leakage at the speaker terminals, I found the left channel's DC output to be fluctuating wildly between about -3V and +3V! It seems...
  6. ethangsmith

Radio Shack / Realistic Minimus lineup

With the Realistic Minimus 7's getting all the attention, are there other speakers in the Minimus line that are also worthy of praise? I know there is a larger size of the 7's (77's?). Are there others in the Minimus line worth seeking out?
  7. ethangsmith

BIC Beam Box FM-10 tuner calibration?

Just picked up a BIC Beam Box to play with. While the "tuning" dial does affect signal strength on FM stations being received, it seems like it's not right. When tuning to 96.1, I found the best signal strength is achieved when the dial is turned to almost 108. The wide/narrow bandwidth and...
  8. ethangsmith

Kenwood KA-8100 freshen up. A few simple questions....

I have a few recaps under my belt now and I'm feeling much more confident about them. Just completed a KA-6100 and it sounds really good with a recap BOM I cooked up. I have a KA-8100 that has some serious hours on it. Still sounds good, but of course the tone preamp gets smoldering hot from...
  9. ethangsmith

Cerwin Vega L-7 crossover recap. Improvements?

Attached is a picture of my Cerwin Vega L-7's crossover. Note the surface mount radial cap and the little disc cap. I'm assuming the black log is some form of resistor? I can't read the writing on the disc cap very well (Possibly "B03B Mexico" on one side and "X60V X075" on the other), but the...
  10. ethangsmith

EPI/Epicure speakers. Fiberglass fill. What is the correct amount?

I have multiple pairs of EPI and Epicure speakers- From little A70's the whole way up to a beautiful pair of 201's. As I've recapped and cleaned up each pair, I would pull the fiberglass out, make sure each pair had the same amount, and put the fiberglass back in. It never filled the cabinets...
  11. ethangsmith

Kenwood KA 4002- rebuilding.

I was checking bias on my new KA-4002 as it sounded a little off. While adjusting the right channel, I had the probes on pins 42 and 46 to set the bias to the recommended 9.4mV. As I was doing it, the probe moved just enough on pin 42 that it started touching pin 44. Total mistake on my part. I...
  12. ethangsmith

Tuner alignments in SE PA

Does anyone do tuner alignments in southeastern PA? I am in the Lancaster area and have two Kenwood KT-7500's I want to make really nice. I hate trying to ship tuners because of how roughly they can get handled during transit. I've had a few damaged over the years bad enough they don't work...
  13. ethangsmith

8xlaxx

Bought a tuner from Bruce. Very nice guy, great communication, great packing job. Do not hesitate to purchase from him! -Ethan.
  14. ethangsmith

Kenwood DP-750 cd player- slight treble distortion?

A nice Kenwood DP-750 cd player fell into my hands a few months back. I cleaned the laser, got some grease on the gears, fixed a few bad solder joints at the RCA connector, and cleaned it up. It works perfectly except on louder discs, the loud passages, especially high frequency sounds, are...
  15. ethangsmith

Two Kenwood KT-5500's, two different problems!

Hi folks, I inherited two Kenwood KT-5500 tuners for free. Both have different problems: Unit 1: Lights up, looks great. But will not tune into anything in stereo. Signal centering meter is always swinging to the left and never gets near center. Signal strength meter seems to work ok. I have...
  16. ethangsmith

Determining phono input capacitance?

Hi folks, Is there any way, looking at schematics, to figure out how much capacitance a phono input has. I'm trying to figure out the total capacitance of my systems (One has a Pioneer SX-838, the other is an SX-737- both use the exact same phono preamp board) and I can't figure out how much...
  17. ethangsmith

Pioneer SX-737 or 838 phono input capacitance.

Hi folks, Is there any way, looking at schematics, to figure out how much capacitance a phono input has. I'm trying to figure out the total capacitance of my systems (One has a Pioneer SX-838, the other is an SX-737- both use the exact same phono preamp board) and I can't figure out how much...
  18. ethangsmith

Decks that play worn tapes....

Hi folks, I don't have the luxury of having mint tapes, I get most of mine well used through record shops, garage sales, friends, etc. While my Technics RS-B555 does a good job with a surprising number of them, my Pioneer CT-F750 seems to only play perfect tapes- even after having the deck...
  19. ethangsmith

Technics SL-1500, replacement RCA cable?

Both of my SL-1500's show very high capacitance in the RCA cables- approximately 485 on one, and 530 on the other! I'm looking for a low capacitance, good quality replacement. I was looking around on KAB's website and saw the Mogami and OEM Technics replacement cables, which look affordable and...
  20. ethangsmith

Tell me about the new A/T cartridges- namely the VM540ML

Hi folks, With the supply of original Shure N95HE styli pretty much gone, I've been looking at more modern options for my tables (Both are outfitted with Shure M95HE cartridges). There seems to be little information out there about Audio Technica's new 600/500/700 lines of cartridges. I want to...
  21. ethangsmith

Getting a recapped/serviced KA-8100. A question...

Hi folks, I am getting a recapped and serviced KA-8100 integrated amp. In the recap, the technician upped the four main filter caps from the original 10000uf to 15000uf. I've heard some people say it's fine to up the capacitance, others say no. Will this hurt this unit to make that jump? Just...
  22. ethangsmith

Pioneer CT-F750. Need some help.

Hi guys, This is my first foray into cassette deck service, so my skill level is pretty basic here. I got a mint condition Pioneer CT-F750 that would not play or play very slowly. I ordered a WJOE kit with instructions and gave everything a cleaning and then replaced the belts. FF and REW and...
  23. ethangsmith

Pioneer RG-1 along with EQ- question.

Hi folks, I was fortunate to find a MINT Pioneer RG-1 today. I use an equalizer in my setup and use the tape out on the equalizer to feed signal to another component. Is it proper to insert the RG-1 between the Tape output on the receiver and the input of the equalizer? Or should the RG-1 be...
  24. ethangsmith

School me on Pioneer's CT-F line please.

Looking for info on Pioneer's various CT-F series units. What's good, what's bad, what to look for. I know belts and idler tires are issues on some of these units and I've heard idler tires are no longer available? I am looking for a unit that will give me good playback of my cassettes. -Ethan.
  25. ethangsmith

SX-737 tuner adjustment. Hope I didn't do something bad!

Hi folks, The tuner in my SX-737 has always been flaky, and after noticing a small amount of greenish goo on part of the tuner, I cleaned it off with some brake cleaner (It leaves no residue). After cleaning, the signal and tuning meters didn't jump around like crazy and it didn't crackle...
Back
Top Bottom