Search results

1. J

How to seriously injure yourself while blowing a speaker...

I tried to blow up some speakers by applying WAY too much voltage - in a controlled environment of course - but in the end it just went pop without even so much as a thin trail of smoke. Quite disappointing in fact.
  2. J

$8k For speakers, what do you buy?

Q: $8k For speakers, what do you buy? A: Big ones :) Personally I've always liked the KEF stuff, perhaps only because I had the pleasure of seeing first-hand the effort that goes in to it.
  3. J

Ratshack speaker crossover any good

The big problem with pre-assembled crossovers is that they assume nominal impedence at the crossover point. This can leave the bass an octave or more out in terms of attenuation, and typically the characteristic peak where wavelength approached cone diameter squawking through the resulting...
  4. J

Purple Dome Wharfedale Tweeter help!!!

I'd go for a 91dB silk dome, 8 ohms, and add an lpad if the cabinets don't already have them. Likely their sensitivity is nominally somewhere around 87-89dB.
  5. J

Purple Dome Wharfedale Tweeter help!!!

I wouldn't get too excited about resourecting them - if they are the same as those used in the early Diamonds, they were fairly lacklustre.
  6. J

seeking help on budget speaker set up for audio visual & pc (Under £200)

Serious cable! Yes a single 10" cut out. Mount them reasonably high, ideally ear height when seated. Ideally the cabs will go down to the floor (or at least what they are integrated into will) and the reflex ports should be below the drivers (close to the fooor if you like).
  7. J

I assumed you wanted a centre speaker - if not then just ignore that bit and use the two pro1s and the two new cabinets :-) The suggested crossover is quite pricey. I think we can make a better sound for less money since we don't need it to withstand 500W for forever like the Eminence part...
  8. J

Keep or scrap ?

FWIW I prefer to work with nice boxes rather than salvaging knackered old drivers, since box making is time consuming and hard whilst there and gazillions of nice drivers available off the shelf.
  9. J

Super tweeter addition to 3-way speaker system

You need to look at the response curve and taylor the network to suit any non linearity in the required pass band and the octave below it. It's probably safe to assume rated impedence though.
  10. J

Here's what I would do: 1. Use the Pro-1s, re-cased if you like, as the front two. 2. Use the centre speaker you have already 3. Build reflex cabs into the spaces identified roughly following the Pro-1 capacity for the rear 2 (based on the sizes listed, it looks like you have 44 and 51 litres...
  11. J

Magnepan speakers and bass slap - is it possible to fix?

You got a smart phone?
  12. J

Bear in mind that the is zero opportunity for harmonic distortion in this band to be audible. So just choose any tweeter with a reasonably linear output in this band. Years ago I used to quite like those 20mm Audax units with a plastic cover, they cost only a few dollars and work well.
  13. J

Don't worry at all about impedence, just hook it up in parallel with an lpad and adjust it to suit your personal preferences.
  14. J

Looking for High Efficiency Speaker for my tube I'm that I'm building, any suggestions?

You might consider e.g. Eminence Delta woofers and a constant directivity HF unit for your build, 95-97dB will be achievable depending on the bass driver chosen. There are econowave recipes for this configuration readily available.
  15. J

Yes just put it in parallel with an inline cap. But, have you measured your hearing? The octave between 10 and 20k quickly disappears in our 20s.
  16. J

I will work out something for you tomorrow if no one beats me to it!
  17. J

Speaker crossovers. When is an inductor not needed?

All you need is two stereo amplifiers - one for each speaker - and a MiniDSP. Obviously you can spend as much or as little as you like on the amps; the MiniDSP is $99 plus $10 for the crossover module (a program for it basically) plus you need a Windows machine to set it up. Once configured it...
  18. J

Speaker crossovers. When is an inductor not needed?

Instead of using passive crossovers and going through the trial and error frustrations, if it's a two way design bi amp it and use a MiniDSP instead. It will provide the slopes as programmed with no phase shift regardless of driver impedence - and give 21 band parametric EQ to boot. Coupled with...
  19. J

How does one find a tweeter for a rare speaker??

eBay saved search!!
  20. J

The Pro-1 tweeters are quite nice IMO and cover the band 5kHz-20kHz. How much value you get from upgrading them depends on how well you can hear; as we age the high end goes quickly. 10kHz is probably enough if you are 40 or more. As you have probably seen I used BassFace titanium dome bullets...
  21. J

Just a thought, maybe another option is to use the centre speaker you have, and the Pro-1's as front left and right, and then full-range twin-cone dirvers to run the rear speakers (as I said in smaller sealed boxes). Then likely all you need is a cinema amp (Richer Sounds!) plus a couple...
  22. J

Lots to think about with this build! First, you want to build boxes that are sealed (except for any ports in them), so the areas with the heat extractor vents passing through them, the vents will need to be ducted through the cabs or the cabs or the cabs built up to the ducts. The dimensions...
  23. J

Realistic Pro-1 'Disco' Speakers Re-imagined

@djnagle - thanks, yes that would probably help. In my application the hump in response is helpful (PA/parties) since it reduces load on the amplifier somewhat. @Brynnie64 - Sounds like you have an interesting project on. I'd suggest starting a new thread and listing out your goals - things...
  24. J

Realistic Pro-1 'Disco' Speakers Re-imagined

Interesting storey, thanks for posting. I can well believe the low cost given the clear cost cutting measures talked about near the top of the thread. You won't get the parts new anywhere, however there is a pair on eBay right now...
  25. J

DIY speaker cab frustration

300Hz is low enough that the enclosure size will make a difference. Also, unless you are using DSP or active crossover, system power handling will likely be compromised because that driver will be seeing significant power in the bass. What woofer are you using?
Back
Top Bottom