Search results

1. desmoto

Kappa 9 front emits not working

Thanks for this info, I won't bother with this third device as the rear tweeters are fine. I guess I'll hope that the diodes were cooked? Agree it is odd both speakers have the same malfunction.
  2. desmoto

The included photo is not of my crossover, just a pic I found in the forum that showed the location of the the protection device joints on the board. That's an interesting idea! I really enjoyed the EMIT-R on my Crescendos (had a pair of 3009s, still have a pair of 3007s) Thanks for the...
  3. desmoto

I wish it was so easy! I have spare EMITs here as well. Unfortunately looks like I will be digging into the x-over to get these running. They are a good looking speaker, although I would like to make some more substantial bases for them. They also absolutely dwarf the Renaissance 80s that I've...
  4. desmoto

Also lord knows what these have been driven with in the past, but I'm running them with a Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature with 800wpc into 4ohm.
  5. desmoto

I'm just working on one tower at the moment, removed the inop tweeter to check resistance (disconnected from the crossover of course), 3.5ohm I also have a pair of Kappa 8s in need of some love, and those had an obviously fried set of EMITs with the ribbons actually broken and lifting up. The...
  6. desmoto

Thanks for all the input so far everyone! Had a busy week and getting back to these today. To clarify, one tweeter on each tower is inop, the front EMIT. The SEMIT and rear EMIT are both functional on both towers.
  7. desmoto

Hello AKers! Back again after a hiatus for the holidays and a new baby. Hope you're all doing well here in the Infinity hangout. I finally dragged out the set of Kappa 9s I bought last fall and am hoping to get them back in working order. When I picked them up the seller disclosed an issue...
  8. desmoto

Monitor IIA restoration + Walsh tweeter repair

Quite the view today. The Kappa 6.1s are just moving through, but I couldn’t resist setting them up for an A/B against the big boys. I was not impressed driving the little Kappas with a 110wpc Integra AVR in the den (compared with the Monitor Jr on that same system), but they came alive with a...
  9. desmoto

Oh cool yes I see those different mid drivers, also your woofers look different than mine with those rectangular steel housings over the magnet. Interesting to see the changes between versions. Man, re: shipping your Walshes for repair, it’s a tough call. If I had to ship some I would mount the...
  10. desmoto

Thanks David! I think the trick is to cut the material slightly oversized (3mm / 1/8” or so). I just hunted around for a cylinder slightly larger than the cone diameter and traced around it with an xacto knife to make the cut. I then cut the center hole smaller than the rod diameter. As others...
  11. desmoto

The man himself! Thanks for jumping in, your posts have been super helpful. That’s a very cool collection you have, can’t blame you for holding onto your spares! I think I’m ok here, both Walsh’s test good now. I plan to connect the speakers this weekend and see what they do. Thanks for the...
  12. desmoto

Anyone in Silicon Valley and Bay Area?

Santa Cruz here!
  13. desmoto

Inspected the crossovers, note the Pacific Stereo stickers. I wonder what the story is? From the other pictures of these crossovers I’ve been able to find they appear original but I’ll do some further research now that I have photos to compare. Leaving crossovers alone for now, I’m eager to...
  14. desmoto

Well I am pleased to report that the repair of the Walsh voice coil appears successful. I have soldered and trimmed the leads and reassembled, testing at 4ohm. Moving on to the woofer surrounds and crossover inspection.
  15. desmoto

Ok I’ve now removed the Walsh with 0 resistance and disassembled. I found a break in the voice coil windings and was able to (somewhat tediously) cut, unspool and re-wind the majority of the wire back in place. I lost approx 12” of windings in the process so we’ll see how it ohms out once I...
  16. desmoto

Well I finally found a few minutes tonight to pull the Walshes and discovered that the leads are soldered on to the terminals. Tomorrow I will remove the leads to test properly, but I gave them a quick resistance check to see if I had open circuits. One side 3.8ohm, the other... zero :( I...
  17. desmoto

Ya that’s what I’ve heard. I plan to test them this weekend and if they’re bad I’ll try to source some replacements. I’ve read someone was selling new aftermarket units on eBay a couple years ago? Anyone have insight into current availability for this stuff? Coastsider is not too far from me...
  18. desmoto

Thanks for the info! I did some searching and it appears the woofers did have foams so I’m going to proceed with the parts I have. That’s interesting re: the dome cover! It would be nice to have another one, I have a 1 year old who just started walking and is very fascinated by all the...
  19. desmoto

Hello all! It’s been a while since I was active here on AK but I’ve been slowly digging deeper into the Infinity catalog for 6 or 7 years now. The latest exploration is a set of Monitor IIA that will match the Monitor Jrs that I’ve been enjoying for a couple years. I’ve never heard these but...
  20. desmoto

couldn't pass up Infinity Monitor Jr

Yes, little for tower speakers anyways and small for the Kappa range. It's not a fair fight they are competing against the Monitor JRs and a set of Renaissance 80s.
  21. desmoto

man I love AK, this thread is still going and you guys have added some awesome info 5 years later. The Monitor Jrs are keepers for sure, enjoying them daily in our den. The bass response is incredible for a smallish old speaker from the 1970s and my wife particularly loves the sound and look...
  22. desmoto

So I just finished reassembling after refoaming the woofers, inspecting everything and cleaning the cabinets. There was a ton on insulation as described. Everything appears original on the crossovers. I was eager to take them for a test drive, recommendations for replacement caps are welcome but...
  23. desmoto

just brought home a beautiful pair of Monitor Jrs for pocket change, found them on CL locally and scooped them up right away, thought the price was a typo... Very little information seems to be circulating on these specifically, more about the larger members of Infinitys 1970s lineup. These...
  24. desmoto

Tama CL: Magnepan MG-I $100

from doing a little googling it seems these may have issues that require a costly upgrade?
  25. desmoto

Tama CL: Magnepan MG-I $100

That was my suspicion! I just bought a set of fronts and these things are enormous, but I'm tempted to pick them up just because of the price.
Back
Top Bottom