Search results

1. billinchile

2275 no sound from left channel after being left on overnight

An immense thank you for suggesting cleaning the Preamp and Amp rear RCA jacks on the 2275. The left channel on my 2275 was silent on all inputs until I cranked the volume way up on it, but the this was always temporary and the silent L channel soon returned. I searched this forum, found your...
  2. billinchile

4270 doesn't power up

Thanks very much for your replies. I'm a continent away from the receiver right now, but I'll be back in Brazil the 2nd week of October. Since I'm here in the U.S., I bought a new power switch for my 4270, just in case I need to replace the original one. I also purchased a replacement power...
  3. billinchile

4270 doesn't power up

This receiver had a similar problem over 6 months ago and was "repaired" by a local tech. Please note that here in Brazil it's very difficult to locate somebody competent to work on these vintage units, and I'm not sure the guy I found is one of them. At that time, he merely replaced a couple...
  4. billinchile

Pioneer PA-1000 arm

I don't know to what the "15-25cu" refers. Is it compliance? I'm considering installing a new Ortofon VMS20EMKII that has been tucked away in a drawer for years. But the spec sheet that comes with it doesn't mention such a measurement.
  5. billinchile

Pioneer PA-1000 arm

The included owners manual doesn't provide information on the effective mass of this arm. Would it be considered to be low-mass? Which cartridges have you mounted on it?
  6. billinchile

Pioneer PA-1000 arm

I've been gifted a NIB Pioneer PA-1000 arm. The original invoice shows it was purchased from Pioneer National Part Sales & Marketing in Long Beach, CA in 2001. It has a carbon fiber pipe, and it reminds me of a Grace design. Does anyone know this arm and can offer cartridge compatibility...
  7. billinchile

Metal pulley for Thorens?

I sent him a note and he replied immediately saying that he's working on producing a 60Hz model. He's wondering if there's any difference in the springs between the two. I have both, and I'm going to take a look ..... sure enough: the spring for the 50Hz pulley is H=20mm W=9mm and for the...
  8. billinchile

I agree. The ad doesn't show the spring, but the guy's metal copy looks just like the original plastic, and one of the pictures shows the set up with the brass disk on top. My Italian is purely of the tourist type, but it seems to me that "E PER TUTTI I MODELLI COME LA FOTO DI SINISTRA...
  9. billinchile

I came across this (http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-PULLEY-50HZ-THORENS-TD-160-165-166-145-146-147-125MK2-PULEGGIA-THORENS-ITA-/261735117634) eBay ad. Nice looking part. Maybe an alternative to the increasingly hard to find white plastic pulleys. But would this be a pulley that doesn't use...
  10. billinchile

Help with Thorens TD160 MKII

I'm in Brazil. When I signed up for AudioKarma I was in France.
  11. billinchile

Thanks, Bob. I really appreciate your help. Bill
  12. billinchile

Bam. Your last suggestion pinpointed the problem: I needed to put oil in the platter shaft. The "well" was dry. After I did this, the platter "sat up" much higher than before, and now, spinning it without the belt attached it rotates for a long time. It didn't before. While I was at it, I...
  13. billinchile

Thanks very much for your interest. 1. I had already done the "talc in a baggie" thing. 2. The screw closest to the motor is apparently meant to be adjustable, since there's a tensioning spring below it. The other two still have the factory blue paint dollop seal on them, which is...
  14. billinchile

Yes, I did clean the sub-platter with alcohol. The slippage appears to be occuring at the point of contact of the belt and the pulley. The belt isn't stretched - as you say, if it were, it would fall down on the platter. The motor runs normally when no belt is on the pulley. The belt surface...
  15. billinchile

Thanks Sandstrom and bobins08 for your useful comments. The motor shaft does just barely peek above the top of the motor shaft. Flipping the outer ring over does help to be able to see what's happening. I cleaned both the pulley and the belt with some isopropyl alcohol. After that, the...
  16. billinchile

Yes, it spins the inner platter with the outer platter removed, and at the proper speed. The outer platter has three holes that make it possible to view the clearance between it and the pulley. I can see it spinning, but the outer platter is stationary.
  17. billinchile

When I received my Thorens TD160 the pieces that fit on the motor spindle had been removed. I'm not sure that I assembled the pulley correctly. Here are the parts. What I did: I positioned the spring between the two pulley pieces, fit them together, placed the brass piece on top of them...
  18. billinchile

A question about turntable owners

I have a number of 45rpm classical records produced by Angel (now EMI). The claim was that the increased speed provided sonic advantages over 33 1/3. They do sound very good. All of my vintage Thorens and my Garrard 401 play 33/45/78.
  19. billinchile

A question about turntable owners

I have a number of 12" classical 45's, produced mainly by Angel Records (now EMI). The claim was that the speed produced improvements over 33 1/3 rpm. They do sound very good indeed. All of my Thorens and Garrard tables play 33/45/78.
  20. billinchile

2275: w/o hi-blend=1 channel; with hi-blend=2 channels

Today, while listening to my CD player through the AUX input I got no signal from the right channel. Suspecting a dirty switch somewhere, I began turning and pressing them and discovered that when I activate the "Hi-Blend" button I get both channels. When I de-activate it the right channel...
  21. billinchile

What's wrong with my W5M?

I know this is more than basic for some people, but for others it isn't. So, please pardon my testing not only my amp, but your patience. There are a number of cotton coated colored wires coming out of the transformer. I assume that each is connected inside the transformer to a coil. How can...
  22. billinchile

Thanks, John, And how do I check to make sure that each winding (coil) is not open (broken)?
  23. billinchile

Thanks for your reply. Once I've disconnected the PT wires, what's the test with the ohmeter? Where do the probes go, and what should the meter read? Also, what does "ckt" mean? I can't find it in any acronym dictionary.
  24. billinchile

Right. I agree that an experienced tech may not need the schematic. But this guy had never seen a Heathkit amp and doesn't know what a "Williamson" circuit is. And I imagine that even an experienced tech would like to know the factory specs for voltage readings of an unfamiliar amp. Anyway...
  25. billinchile

Right. So, what's the procedure for verifying whether the windings of the power transformer or choke are open?
Back
Top Bottom