Search results

1. sheltie dave

JBL 240Ti worth a trip?

Go check them out,
  2. sheltie dave

Repair recommendations in the Midwest?

Mac, Mike M in Maplewood. His # is 314.704.3245, call during the weekend.
  3. sheltie dave

JBL PARAGON ACTUAL VALUE .....

As forecasted, the Paragon sold for $22K, plus the premiums. The McIntosh MC275 sold for $4k, plus premium. http://www.linkauctiongalleries.com/asp/searchresults.asp?st=U&sale_no=1071&pg=3&ps=50
  4. sheltie dave

Suggestions for Tube Rolling an old ELectrohome SET receiver

Get the original tubes tested. If they are still good, they will sound better than the new tubes.
  5. sheltie dave

MidCenturyModern For Sale thread

This estate sale in St. Louis is chock a block full of MCM. https://www.estatesales.net/MO/Saint-Louis/63108/1715664
  6. sheltie dave

Marantz 1020 Tube Amplifier

AV, it was a couple other posts that created a little uncertainty as to the pedigree. Seeing a simple $400 AUS 6BM8 amp moving for $800AUS is concerning, as that illustrated the flimflam was gaining some traction for the sale. I just didn't want any uncertainty at all foisted here on AK, so...
  7. sheltie dave

Buying Etiquette here and anywhere

Mark, I said you are a beater because you beat people across the ears and head in public for not being subscribers. The word beater was used in the sense of being a person who tries to drum up business, and in your case, also beats on people. Pretty things who wander around in bars with...
  8. sheltie dave

And you miss my point entirely. I said a plurality of folks here are not in the top 1%, or in the upper middle class, which leaves....the lower middle class and the poor. Please quote me the point where I stated "riff-raff." You won't find it. You choose to take it one way, and then ran with it...
  9. sheltie dave

Mit, I'm sorry you feel that my opinion is condenscending. We have an audio society meeting Saturday, and I'll ask how many folks consider a Marantz 2230 to be an upper level audiophile receiver, which appears from your response to be a given fact. Please note I did not say a disparaging word...
  10. sheltie dave

You are failing to understand the market. People here are, in a large plurality, poor. That translates into cheap purchases, with lots of entangling questions, and inability to buy at times. Other sites have a much higher median income, and an enhanced ability to follow through with purchases...
  11. sheltie dave

The Esotec gear is a LOT more than a refresh of the 70s gear.
  12. sheltie dave

This is NOT a FACTORY MARANTZ. Please do not feed a scam.
  13. sheltie dave

1961 Speaker Id/Question

From knowing Tox's line of work, I would take most of his advice as golden. From working in heavy metals hazwaste that also is radioactive, I would say he is spot on.
  14. sheltie dave

That is an auction house that also sells from a storefront. Items purchased from an estate, consignments, and items that did not make reserve commonly roll over to the storefront side of the company. A Paragon in that condition normally sells for under $8K, and that scorch charring may be hard...
  15. sheltie dave

If you know the gentleman, and are so inclined, you could tell him it is a fake. If you don't know him, let it go. The market is already very, very savvy about what Marantz tube amps are, and will not be hoodwinked by this false flag badging.
  16. sheltie dave

Maybe I'm not a tube person?

Don’t try to spend your way into better sound. Show us what you have for room dimensions, treatments, what you listen to 75% of the time, how loud you listen, and what you want to hear. Tell us what speakers you have liked. We can’t give good advice with a blank tabla Rosa.
  17. sheltie dave

Speakers With Tubes?

Chinese diaphragms. Call Great Plains Audio and get new correct Altec diaphragms. Replace the wrong ones.
  18. sheltie dave

History of hi-fi

http://www.itishifi.com/ This is the cat's meow.
  19. sheltie dave

The first price driver is provenance. If it is not a factory built, 5k to 6k is tops in most of the Midwest. The second price driver is condition and originality. A fabulous condition original with virgin 150-4 woofers and humpback 375s, and all paperwork, in rosewood, will hit 30k. Lesser...
  20. sheltie dave

A home brew Paragon and home brew Metregon sold at an estate in town two months ago for just under 5k. The Real Paragon in town at auction is at 8k, with two bids already in hand, and it goes live on Thursday. The previous live auction real Paragon, five years ago, went for 5.5k.
  21. sheltie dave

GLENN branded Altec cabinet?

Glenn of California was an extremely high end furniture and cabinetry maker. They would get an order for an entire living room, and of course the wife would want the speakers and console to match everything else. The client would tell them the components they were going to buy, or tell them to...
  22. sheltie dave

Speakers With Tubes?

Unless you listen to mainly acoustical music, folk, jazz combos, and chamber or small group ensembles, the Valencia’s are going to deliver better macro dynamics, a better frequency response, better extended frequency range, better midbass, and can play a broader range of music formats at a...
  23. sheltie dave

1961 Speaker Id/Question

Someone who kept a stereo pair of 1961 speakers often has/had a 1961 turntable and 1961 amplifier and preamp. Just a thought.
  24. sheltie dave

1961 Speaker Id/Question

Back in the day, these were not called custom cabinets. There were called "money is too tight to buy cabinets, I'll just whip some up in the garage." Unfortunately, the dad exhausted all the money getting the best stuff, so his son cannot afford a screwdriver sixty years later. Still worth a check.
Back
Top Bottom