Search results

1. Tom Bombadil

I have a Dennis Had Inspire LP3A pre... now what?

Thanks for looking into this. Now at least I know what happened. I had no idea that it was now a subscriber-only site. I can accept that.
  2. Tom Bombadil

I've tried doing that. But I am banned from sending PMs.
  3. Tom Bombadil

I have also found vintage 6SN7 to sound better, including Raytheon and Ken Rad. BTW, I used to respond to your posts on AudioAficionado but, for reasons totally unknown to me, I was banned from that site. Never received a warning, a message, a note of any kind. Never posted anything abusive...
  4. Tom Bombadil

Russia Banning Exports

I see that The Tube Store has taken their website down due to an overwhelming number of orders. http://temporarymaintenance.thetubestore.com/
  5. Tom Bombadil

Russia Banning Exports

$720 for a rectifier, that is astounding. I've swapped a number of rectifiers in my two primary amps and have never heard a difference. How could it cost anywhere near that amount to manufacture?
  6. Tom Bombadil

So who is stocking up on tubes?

The Tube Store has raised their prices. GL KT77 are now almost $100 each. Nesstone is still selling tubes at low prices. Their brand (Chinese) 6550 are just $25 each. JJ KT77 are $19.
  7. Tom Bombadil

So who is stocking up on tubes?

Same for me. Unless I somehow find a way to live another 30 years. Also paid a fairly low price for most of them.
  8. Tom Bombadil

Russia Banning Exports

I agree. If a businessperson does evaluate the market for tubes and decides that it is viable to build a new factory to manufacture them, I think there is about a 98% chance that factory would be built somewhere in Asia.
  9. Tom Bombadil

Russia Banning Exports

People are still selling 1950s RCA & Sylvania. Lots of Soviet tubes from the 1970s & 1980s knocking about. I don't how many large an inventory Shuguang might have built up. There is conflicting information about whether they finished rebuilding the factory & resumed production.
  10. Tom Bombadil

Russia Banning Exports

Unfortunately JJ has reduced production due to Covid issues and is now months behind on back orders. And in China, Shuguang's main factory was damaged by a fire in 2019 and there are rumors that they have never ramped production back up again. Have been selling inventory since then. Perhaps...
  11. Tom Bombadil

Russia Banning Exports

To fill in the blanks, this covers the following brands Electro Harmonix EH Gold Tung-sol Mullard Sovtek Svetlana Genalex Gold Lion It will also affect other brands which relabel Russian made tubes.
  12. Tom Bombadil

The tube guys are right!

Yeah, those old Maggie amps are worth at least $50 in rough shape and no tubes.
  13. Tom Bombadil

The tube guys are right!

Dennis Had, founder of Cary Audio, loves Maggie console amps, especially the single-ended ones. He has refurbished and rebuilt many, and built some new ones with a few mods of his own. He doesn't do that anymore, building only new designs, only single-ended as he prefers those over push-pull...
  14. Tom Bombadil

corruption in the audio magazine industry

While it would be interesting to read actual bad reviews of gear and to have audiophile magazines be totally open and candid about their reviews, as long as the reviews they publish are accurate and true, then they do provide value. I can understand audio magazines publishing only good to...
  15. Tom Bombadil

Bluesound updates the Node

There are so many things one must be aware of when buying streamers. For instance consider that one might be interested in a combo of the Blusound Node paired with an SMSL Su-9. The Node's digital outputs measure very well and the Su-9 seems to be a tremendous DAC for under $500. Let's say...
  16. Tom Bombadil

They are essentially the same for the new Node vs the Node 2i.
  17. Tom Bombadil

Yes the ASR review shows that the new Node does a good job of passing a high quality digital stream to an external DAC. Combined with its decent software and MQA compatibility, that makes it a decent option as a music streamer. But they also found that it measures terribly through its analog...
  18. Tom Bombadil

Modern Tung-Sol 7581a Tubes

The new Tung-sol KT66 draws 0.9A heater current. Thus the claims that it is a big bottle 6L6GC and the same as their 7581A. So they should be go to go in any 6L6GC/7581A circuit. The Gold Lion KT66 draws 1.3A. A quad of these will draw quite a bit of extra current. I haven't listened to...
  19. Tom Bombadil

Wow! I would take everything that guy says with a grain of salt. The DAC in the new Node is a very low end circuit/chip. The analog output stage is fairly average to mediocre too, as well as the power supply. This doesn't mean that it sounds terrible, even with average quality something can...
  20. Tom Bombadil

The internal DAC used in the Node 2i was an inexpensive low-end Texas Instruments (Burr Brown) chip. Sold in quantities for $3 a chip. Same chip as used in a common add-on board for Raspberry Pi boxes, with the board selling for $20. The new DAC used in the Node is a slight upgrade from the...
  21. Tom Bombadil

Is it just me or does it seem like New Sensor power tubes don't last very long?

I've heard the same from others, but it hasn't been my experience. I own several and over the past 7 years, I've never lost a New Sensor power tube.
  22. Tom Bombadil

el34 vs 6ca7

In my SE amps, I find the GL KT77 and JJ KT77 to produce a very clean, open sound with neutral highs and a clean, well-defined but not particularly deep or strong bass. I like them a lot, with the GL being a bit more open than the JJ. Very nice, big soundstage. I have a couple of quads of...
  23. Tom Bombadil

SOVTEK KT 88'S am i missing something?

I'd put my money on the EH KT88 being essentially the same as the older Sovtek KT88. The Genalex Gold Lion KT88 is made by the same company and in the same factory but is a significantly different design. I really like the new GL KT88.
  24. Tom Bombadil

Amplifier shoot out.

I once owned an Eico HF81. Used it around 2010-2012. So quite old and unrestored. Lots of scratchiness in the controls and I hated how the volume, balance and tone controls worked. I cleaned up all of the RCAs, tube sockets and pins, did my best on the pots and controls. That things...
  25. Tom Bombadil

Goodwill/SA/Thrift Store Discussions & Finds

Just had a bit of a score today at my local St Vincent's. Tara Labs Prism 5 digital coax cable 5M, Tara Labs Prism 201d Toslink 6M, and Sennheiser 203 HD headphones. All still sealed in their original packaging. Total price paid $8. I believe each one of those cables sold for over $100.
Back
Top Bottom