Search results

1. Tom Bombadil

More debate on MQA

I found this article, and its imbedded link to the GoldenSound research, on the MQA format to be quite interesting. Certainly these new measurements and findings cast doubt upon the claims made by TIDAL and Bob Stuart. https://www.headphonesty.com/2021/05/tidal-mqa-golden-sound-debate/
  2. Tom Bombadil

Bluesound updates the Node

No more Node 2 or Node 2i, the newest Node is simply the Node. Same price. Upgrades includes replacing the 1GHz ARM Cortex A9 processor with a 1.8GHz ARM Cortex A53 processor. Replacing the TI / Burr-Brown PCM5122 32/192 DAC with a TI / Burr-Brown PCM5242 32/384 DAC. A redesigned remote...
  3. Tom Bombadil

Audioholics: Embrace Science

A long piece from Audioholics about the need for the field of audiophiles to embrace science and not "religion." In order to appeal to younger listerners and save the high-end audio industry in coming generations. "The solution to the business model problems of the audiophile business/hobby...
  4. Tom Bombadil

Streaming 16/44.1, any reason to upgrade from Sonos Connect?

I have a 6 year old Sonos Connect Version 1 which I picked up as a Best Buy demo at a nice discount. Mainly just to play around with and use with Spotify for background music. I also have 4 external DACs, two which can handle up to 24/192. This is all running into a semi-high end system...
  5. Tom Bombadil

Wow! Someone is selling a NIB Marantz 8B

A still NIB Marantz 8B, for only $11K. :) https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lisa6169-marantz-model-8b-new-in-box-with-nos-tubes-and-cage-amplifiers One would have to restore it right away. Or just keep it in the box for another 20 years and see what you could get for it. Given that one can...
  6. Tom Bombadil

KT170 Coming Soon!

Tung-sol is about to release the KT170. Due to the success of the KT120 and KT150 tubes and the popularity of these tubes with High-End Audio manufacturers, the Tung-Sol KT170 tube has been developed to provide a beam tetrode with even more power capability. The Tung-Sol KT170 has a power...
  7. Tom Bombadil

Klipsch KG.5

Saw a pair of Klipsch KG.5 mini monitors at my local Goodwill store today. In reasonably good condition, but didn't test them. They wanted $6 for the pair (I think, perhaps it was $6 each?) As I have more speakers than I can deal with now, I passed. But if anyone is interested, they are at...
  8. Tom Bombadil

Need assistance on strange amp problem

I own a Serbian-made Korato KVA-20 EL34 triode amp. It is exhibiting a problem which may be familiar to those here, but not to me. When I operate the amp, the sound is quite distorted, breaking up. Then when I turn it off, it sounds beautiful for the next 6-8 seconds while the capacitors...
  9. Tom Bombadil

Klipsch Subwoofer ID help needed

Can anyone tell me the model number of this Klipsch subwoofer? I searched a couple hundred Google images and didn't find a match so I'm assuming it is an older model. Said to have a 12" driver and 300 watt amp.
  10. Tom Bombadil

Tubes and Vinyl: An Often-Misunderstood Audiophile Debate

https://audiophilereview.com/analog/tubes-and-vinyl-an-often-misunderstood-audiophile-debate.html "A) I do not hate vinyl whatsoever and B) I think it's perfectly OK to be a fan of the format. What's not OK is to suggest that the format is an accurate, high performance reproduction of the music...
  11. Tom Bombadil

ELAC Debut 2.0 B6.2 speakers 50% off

I'm seeing the ELAC Debut 2.0 B6.2 speakers on sale pretty much everywhere at $150 per pair. Really amazing deal. Makes me wish I had some use for a lower-end bookshelf speaker. Maybe the best buy ever at this price range (inflation adjusted).
  12. Tom Bombadil

Paul McGowan "How Good was audio equipment of the 70s"

Yep, another opinion from Paul McGowan, of PS Audio. Generally praising equipment from the 60s and 70s, except for the "trash" coming out from Pioneer & Kenwood (and the like) ... dreadful gear. Go to 2:37 to get to that place...
  13. Tom Bombadil

Many Reel to Reel players available

I don't know who is doing the selling, but there are nearly a dozen reel to reel players for sale on the Madison, WI Craigslist. They look to be in good shape. Someone selling off a collection? Just posting it here in case an AK'er is looking for one. If'n I weren't now in a small apartment...
  14. Tom Bombadil

Taking the streaming plunge

Purchased a Sonos Connect two years ago but only toyed around with it a bit. Yesterday I finally took the plunge, signed up for Spotify Premium, Slacker, Pandora free. Linked my Amazon Dot to Sonos. Ran the Sonos coax digital to my Parasound D/AC-2000. One output from it goes into a SS...
  15. Tom Bombadil

"Are Vacuum Tubes worth it?" By Paul McGowan

"Vacuum tubes are not good for power amplifiers."
  16. Tom Bombadil

Good quality, inexpensive Balanced / XLR audio interconnects

Recently picked up a few Canare brand balanced / XLR cables. Very reasonably priced at $12/3', $15/6' per single cable. These are the Canare branded cables usually sold in musician stores. Made of their L-4E6S star quad cable and with Yongsheng (from Ningbo Neutrik Electronics) connectors...
  17. Tom Bombadil

Citation II Crime!

Just browsed a listing on that auction site. A person selling a Citation II to rebuild. Read the description. The seller found that the amp had 7199s in V1 and V4. He contacted the previous owner who told him that various mods and boards had been made to it to incorporate ST70 circuits...
  18. Tom Bombadil

The Dynaco ST70 is Back

At $3000. http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0818/Dynaco_ST70_Series_3_Tube_Amplifier_Review.htm It has front mounted gain controls, not designed to act like an integrated amp. This iteration uses 12AU7s as driver tubes. Still being sold under the licensed Dynaco brand name...
  19. Tom Bombadil

realtor.com commercial horn speakers

Interesting audio system in this commercial.
  20. Tom Bombadil

Diagnostic Assistance needed for Preamp channel cutting out

I can dabble in repairs but have no significant diagnostic or building skills. I have replaced a couple of resistors, rerouted a wire or two, and built a couple of simple speaker crossovers. Do have a decent multimeter. Problem is that my Dynaco PAS-4 preamp has a channel which cuts out...
  21. Tom Bombadil

Unnatural addiction

22. Tom Bombadil

Common tubes which became expensive

While pretty much all tubes were inexpensive back in the 50s and 60s, I've been surprised by how some of the prices have soared over the past 20 years. For example back in the late 90s I purchased an octet of EI EL84s. That factory was shut down shortly afterward due to reasons related to the...
  23. Tom Bombadil

Musician's Vintage System

https://www.stereophile.com/content/musicians-audiophiles-david-smith
  24. Tom Bombadil

It's 90s Day at Bombadil's

Today I've set up my 90s system, consisting of a Cary SLA-30 tube amplifier, Dynaco PAS-4 tube preamp, Parasound D/AC-2000, and Von Schweikert tower speakers. All of these were manufactured in the 90s, all were purchased by me in the 90s, all used at the time at decent prices. Playing John...
  25. Tom Bombadil

Mysterious things happening

I picked up a cheap set of iPod speakers from a consignment store for $5. They were still in their original box with booklet and all adapter cables. Looked like they had never been used. Original list was $79. I hooked up to my computer and they worked perfectly. 4 days later I hit the...
Back
Top Bottom