Search results

1. jcg1112

Speaker choice - why did you pick towers or stand mounts?

So, I’m looking to upgrade speakers. I started out looking at small - medium towers. I like the way my Paradigms sound, so I’m looking at their Premiere 700F. The Revel Concerta2 F35 also has my interest. Either would be used with my sub. Well, not leaving good enough alone, I started looking at...
  2. jcg1112

Do I need an external preamp?

Some input needed from those with more experience than I. My TT is hooked up to the Powernode using its inbuilt preamp. The volume is decidedly lower when compared to streaming or even playing cds using my Blu-ray player (analog or optical). Is this because of not enough gain from the preamp? Is...
  3. jcg1112

CD ripping software for iMac

Now that I’m searching for and buying CDs again, what is a good ripper software? My cheap windows craptop died way back when and then the pandemic put the brakes on most shopping. Now I’ve started buying discs again. Thanks.
  4. jcg1112

This is why I like Spotify so much

So, the last couple of days I’ve been listening to Japanese jazz and found a Japanese jazz fusion selection. I’ve been listening to Sadao Watnabe and some others for a while now. Well, this daily mix shows up. Nice! Their algorithms are far and away the best IMO.
  5. jcg1112

Musical sub recommendation - the update

Well, after absorbing all the info previously offered up, I took the plunge. Went with the ML Dynamo 800X. 25% off was a nice bonus, too. Should be delivered late next week. The broad spectrum of replies on my previous post was interesting. Looking forward to setting up my first sub.
  6. jcg1112

Looking for musical sub recommendations

Well, after contemplating new speakers, I’ve decided to keep my Paradigms. They’re working for my listening habits. However, I’ve decided to add a sub to fill things out. Budget of $600 give or take. 8” or 10” driver. I’m willing to sacrifice some performance to stay on the compact side. Plus...
  7. jcg1112

Buchardt S300 speakers - anyone own them?

Looking for some feedback, mainly on build quality. I’ve done some research and it looks like they’ve got the sound I’m looking for - wide soundstage, off-axis listening etc. I don’t mind that they’re basically a right angled box, as long as it’s a quality right angled box. I emailed them on...
  8. jcg1112

Picked up SX-780

Reposting in the Pioneer forum. Well, now have a SX780! It powers up just fine. Is dusty on the inside. All the lights and indicators work. I checked the dc offset, measured 50mv on left and 200mv on right. I found the adjustments but 200mv is the best I can get. What’s my next step? Thanks...
  9. jcg1112

Just picked up SX780

Well, now have a SX780! It powers up just fine. Is dusty on the inside. All the lights and indicators work. I checked the dc offset, measured 50mv on left and 200mv on right. I found the adjustments but 200mv is the best I can get. What’s my next step? Thanks in advance.
  10. jcg1112

First upgrade to new turntable

I’ve had my mmf 1.5 for a couple of weeks now and have been listening with the stock cart and stylus. I’ve been going through the built in phono preamp. I’ve been pleased with the sound but knew there was potential. I just upgraded the stylus to the Carbon Fidelity CFN 3600LE. It was $40 and a...
  11. jcg1112

Well, just bought a new TT

This shelter in place might get a little pricey. I just ordered/upgraded to a Music Hall mmf-1.5 today. The price/feature ratio I think made it a good buy. I’ll use the onboard phono preamp and see how it sounds before deciding on an external pre. Can’t wait until it gets here. :D
  12. jcg1112

Speaker cable upgrade (for me anyway)

Well, I finally sprung for some nice to me cables. Went with Blue Jeans cables with locking banana plugs. I’ve always used decent OFC wire with bare ends. But when I got my Powernode, I said what the hell. About $110 for both cables. Make a difference or not, we’ll see, but I like them nonetheless.
  13. jcg1112

Powernode 2i arrived - up and running

Woo hoo! I’m liking this, a lot! Dead simple to setup. Found my network, updated, setup music services and plugged in my usb hard drive. First impressions are positive. My Onkyo was ok, but this is another level. Quboz streams right along and sounding nice. It was well packed. Damn, it’s...
  14. jcg1112

Looking at system change up - Powernode 2i

Well, my free, cheapo craptop took a dump and one thing led to another. I evaluated our music listening habits. We stream, a lot, currently AMHD. Some vinyl, plus all my ripped cds that reside on the craptop. I did have it all backed up except a handful of cds to my external 2 tb hd. The...
  15. jcg1112

Sounds pretty good - at least to me

Been trying Amazon HD for a week now. Definitely better than Spotify premium. Just as a test, I decided to bypass my DAC and use my 2018 iPad. I went from the headphone jack to an auxiliary in on my amp. The app picks up my device capability as 24/48. Not sure what DAC the iPad is using, but not...
  16. jcg1112

My listening habits have changed, I’m spoiled

Slight rambling here. Ever since I’ve entered the world of digital music, I’ve pulled away from vinyl. I still like spinning and listening, but damn, digital is soo convenient. Plus, there’s streaming too. This morning I flipped thru my modest vinyl collection and dropped one onto my tt. Flipped...
  17. jcg1112

Laptop to Onkyo A9050 Amp

I'm looking to get into the digital side of things. I'd like to rip my CDs to my laptop. My Onkyo amp has a decent enough DAC to get me started and has optical and coaxial inputs. Is there available a reasonably priced USB to coax or optical converter? Thanks for any help with this.
  18. jcg1112

Bi-wiring: real benefits?

My new Paradigms can be bi-wired or bi-amped. I understand the proven benefits of bi-amping. I've read speaker reviews that extoll the virtues of bi-wiring. However, the more I looked into the "scientific" end of bi-wiring, it doesn't look to be beneficial. It wouldn't be expensive to bi-wire as...
  19. jcg1112

Marantz PM6004 or Onkyo A9050. That different?

Well, after 30 yrs as original owner of my A60 integrated amp, it had the nerve to develop a problem with the balance control. Geez :-). Sooo I used this as a reason to start shopping for a replacement. I was just about settled on the 6004 for $500 when I came across the 9050 for as low as...
  20. jcg1112

Just upgraded turntable :-)

Just ordered a Denon DP 300F turntable from the Needledoctor. Got it with the stock cart until I figure out what to upgrade to. Will use it for awhile, no hurry to upgrade right away. Can't wait to get it hooked up. Will try it with the built in preamp and using the phono section of my A60 to...
  21. jcg1112

Need advice on speaker wire

Really need to upgrade my wiring. What are some decent wires to go with the equipment listed in my signature? Thanks in advance for the help.
  22. jcg1112

New member from the Midwest

New guy here from the heartland. Joined after searching for info on older amps and speakers. Have a pretty basic stereo setup, but it gets the job done. Looking forward to absorbing some knowledge from all the experience I'm sure resides here. :music:
Back
Top Bottom