Search results

1. S

tube amp- grounding, stray voltages?

I was messing around with some multimeters here and noticed something while setting the bias on a tube amp I have in the basement with exposed tubes and is grounded thru the chassis and runs on a two prong plug. First I had a non-contact voltage detector close to the amp.... the thing lights up...
  2. S

solder, diode, short, test question.

Electronic novice question: I soldered a silicon diode (+/-) onto a board. The two holes on the board were very close and I was a little heavy handed on the solder and I barely see any "green board" between the two joints. I want to assure I didn't short the two leads together. To test for...
  3. S

Lateral Upgrade of DAC?

I am using a laptop as the source for flac audio up to 24/96 thru USB with foobar and a Cambridge Audio DAC Magic 100. For 300-500 bucks, used or new, can I improve on the dac enough to justify a purchase? I am assuming that I would be wasting money.
  4. S

Rega P2 stock vs Thorens 166?

Years ago I sold off most of my large record collection and turntables. I kept about 300 records that I couldn't come to grips with parting with. Fast forward to now I would like to listen to some of those albums. But the only working turntable I have now is a Thorens 166MKII with a Sumiko...
  5. S

X100b recap for safety, help requested.

I have a X100b that is all stock. Its super clean and it sounds excellent. I would be happy to use it as-is but I am afraid I am pushing it. I assume I am making a poor decision using it. What the minimum I need to replace to get this running safely? How do I check the bias or otherwise...
  6. S

Quality phono kits? Bugle still available?

Which budget DIY phono kits are quality? A few years ago I bought the Hagerman Bugle kit and that one was decent so I went to buy another today and I cant find it anymore? Hagerman offers an assembled Bugle for much more than I remember paying for the kit.
  7. S

exposed tubes keeping dust away?

What do you guys do with your amp that have exposed tubes (no cases or cages) when not in use to keep the dust away or otherwise protect them?
  8. S

x100b cover over power switch

I was blowing the dust out of a x100b. In the photo below (not the actual amp in question) you will notice in the bottom left corner a metal cap/cover with a blob of solder on it. It covers the power switch/volume control. On mine I noticed that the blob of solder doesn't hold the cover in...
  9. S

New Integrated? Talk some sense into me.

I have a real limited knowledge of "Hi-Fi", mainly because I cant afford any!!! So I am looking for suggestions ...... Im interested in changing a small system I have for listening to FLAC and SHN files of live music. The occasional CD is also played. Right now im listening to: dedicated...
  10. S

Original fisher tube amp safe to use?

Last few weeks I have been using a X100B that appears to be all original.The tubes are likely not original but look to be old stuff as well (Slyvania and GE). The only thing I did with it was inspect the innards looking for anything that looked burn or black (there was none). I also cleaned the...
  11. S

X100B - Power Requirements?

I want to add a X100B to a loaded 15 amp circuit. What are the power requirements for this amp? I cant find a simple user manual with specs etc. for this.... I have the service manual but it doesn't contain the simple information I am looking for.
  12. S

x101-b user manual?

Can someone point me in the direction to the user manual for X100-B? I found the service manual already but cannot find the user manual. Thanks. edit: I couldn't edit title, I made a mistake.... its the X100-B I am asking about....
  13. S

Necessary to update audio only laptop?

I have a laptop that I use strictly to playback flac files with foobar and my DAC. I stripped the laptop of most every program that I was sure was not necessary. I turned off all updates and it does not have connection to the internet. Do I have to be concerned at all with updating this...
  14. S

reseal baby advent ii woofers?

After removing the woofers I only see the paper gasket material on the underside of the woofer. Is it necessary to reseal the woofer to the box with rope caulk or some other gasket material? Also, the paper gasket on the front of the woofers got a little chewed up during removal. I assume that...
  15. S

Thorens RCA terminal question

I want to replace the RCA's on a TD166 II. However, I need to replace the terminal strip that they are soldered too. Its the real small strip that slides into the grooves underneath the plastic shielding cover. While I am at it, I would like a new plastic cover as well. It was altered by...
  16. S

flac player - no idea where to start?

Im looking for an alternative method for playing flac. and shn. files at home on the hifi. I listen to live concert recordings, so gapless playback is essential. I am currently using a laptop configured for audio with foobar etc. and I feed it thru a Cambridge DAC... sounds fine to my ears and...
  17. S

Cambridge 550C with DACMAGIC 100

We have been using a Cambridge 550c as a standalone CD player for a few years... this budget model sounds great to my ears without the aid of an external DAC. Fast forward a few years and I obtained a Cambridge DAC magic 100 to play flac files off a laptop via USB. Do you feel playing the...
  18. S

ohm question

I have a pair of 6ohm speakers I like to connect to my integrated amp. My amp has two sets of pairs labelled system 1 and system 2. There is a warning on the amp that says: system one OR system two minimum of 4 ohm system one AND system two minimum of 8 ohm So I assume the 6 ohm...
  19. S

New speakers or not? Spend my money!

Money is tight. I am currently using a pair of Boston Acoustic A100's with a newish Marantz integrated. Pretty low on the food chain I know but it sounds decent for my purposes which was up to this point playing CD's and LPs. However, I need something with a smaller footprint as I want to...
  20. S

DACMagic with Foobar and Windows 8

Im new to computer audio and not very computer savy. I just downloaded foobar 2000 and have a Cambridge dacmagic 100 on the way and look forward to getting a taste of flac audio. Is it plug and play or do I have to configure both Foobar and Windows 8? If so, what do I need to do...
  21. S

Which CD-DVD burner?

Can someone point me to some information about the best CD/DVD burners for my PC? I am looking for a standalone burner to make audio CD's. I am interested in live music if that makes a difference and have less than 500 bucks to spend on the burner. Any suggestions?
  22. S

Getting rid of the gaps! Streaming audio?

I have been listening to concert recordings at the Live Music Archive. I am a old hifi guy with no experience with computer audio. How do I play back these concerts without the gaps between tracks?
  23. S

Luddite seeking internet audio advice

Never had much interest in anything beyond my LP, cassette and CD collection. But I thought it would be fun to listen to music from the 'Live Music Archive' thru my stereo. Im not sure where to start though.... What type of DAC do I need? Or is there a hifi component I can just put into...
Back
Top Bottom