Search results

1. punkzter

Replace Sony Laserhead

I have a JAS Musik 1.2 CDP that has A LOT of trouble reading cds. It skips frequently when playing any cd that isn't absolutely perfect, and even then it skips. I've been in touch with JAS and they suggested replacing the laserhead. It uses a Sony KSS-213Q laserhead, which I can get on eBay. I...
  2. punkzter

Help Identifying Make of Tubes

I have some tubes that I pulled from a Tektronix Oscilloscope. I was wondering if anyone could help me identify the manufacturer. Two are 6922 and two are 6DJ8. Here are some pictures, and I'm happy to take more: https://photos.app.goo.gl/6mmRbAmjuADs5HYE7
  3. punkzter

Haltron 6b4g tubes

I'm seeking some backup 6b4g tubes for my Get Set Go amp. It was designed for Sovtek tubes, but it's my understanding that any will work. I found some Haltron branded 6b4g tubes...and wondered if anyone recognized the manufacturer.
  4. punkzter

McIntosh MA-5100 Repair

I have a McIntosh MA-5100 (SN 10H91) that is need of repair. It currently has no sound coming out of the speakers. The headphone jacks do seem to work. It could also use some cleaning (aesthetics). I guess I have a few questions. I don't know if this is something I want to try myself or not. I...
  5. punkzter

Yamaha CR 620 Distortion Issue

I gave my brother a Yamaha CR-620 two or three years ago for Christmas. At the time, it was in good working order with the exception of a popping sound when you turned it off. For better or worse, I made the call to give it to him as-is and told him that if he notice anything odd he should...
  6. punkzter

Magnavox 8803 Console Amp Chassis Resoration Question

I'm very slowly working on rebuilding this Magnavox 8803. It works, but the chassis is in rough shape. I wondered if there were any suggestions on how to proceed. There are some rust spots, and the OPTs are pretty ugly. The power transformer also has some odd lumps on it as well. The...
  7. punkzter

Get Set Go Build: Wiring the On/Off Switch

I'm working on Get Set Go amp build. It's my first tube amp build, and I spent most of Saturday morning drilling holes in the chassis. I've learned quite a bit in the process. And as I go, it's clear how I've either made a mistake in certain spots or just made it more difficult for myself...
  8. punkzter

Function/Sweep Generator Recommendation?

I have a pretty nice HP 651b test oscillator for sine waves, but I don't have a function or sweep generator. I've received some great input from ConradH about the Wavetek 185, but I've found a few others on that auction site that I'm considering. I'm starting to think that the sweep generator...
  9. punkzter

Calibrating a Leader LDC-822 Digital Counter

I recently acquired a Leader LDC-822 Digital Counter. I'd like to calibrate it. The manual states that you should have a standard oscillator with an accuracy greater than +-1 x 10^(-6). I do have a HP 651B test oscillator...but I'm really not sure how accurate it is. Same thing goes for my...
  10. punkzter

Magnavox 8803 Upgrade and Troubleshooting

I purchased a Magnavox 8803 recently. I powered it up yesterday, and also hacked together the 390 ohm resistor update. It has almost no gain, and what I hear is distorted. I've hooked it up to my signal generator and to my scope, but the best example I can give is that, hooked up to my phone...
  11. punkzter

Magnavox 8803 Chassis cleaning question

I've got a line on a Maggie 8803 console pull. I'll have to drive an hour and a half to get it, so I wanted to ask this question here in case anyone has some insights. Just how hard is it to clean up a chassis that looks like this? I know that the pictures awful. But are there any warning...
  12. punkzter

Hammond AO-35 HiFi Conversion Help

I was given a Hammond AO-35 (and a Hammond AO-29) that I would like to convert into a standalone amp. It's mono, but a friend has said that he can get me another once I have this one going. I've attached the schematic to this message. I wondered if anyone here has any experience with this...
  13. punkzter

Hammond M-100 Organ: Repurpose?

A friend of mine repairs organs in his free time, and has offered me the amp and preamp from a Hammond M-100 organ. If I'm correct, it's mono, so I'd have to wait for him to find another one to finish up the set. Is this an amp that can be converted for hifi use? Searching through forums has...
  14. punkzter

Magnavox CR-229a Restore?

I'd like to learn more about tubes, and restore a vintage magnavox console. I put a WTB up on CL, and someone reached out to me with a Magnavox 271H console. It seems that the unit inside is a CR-229a. These are not the exact photos, but it's the same model unit...
  15. punkzter

Output Transformer Frequency Response Question

I'm collecting parts for a Get Set Go Amp, and ordered a pair of James Audio 6113HS transformers on Ebay. After placing the order, I found out that I could get the 6113H transformer directly from James for a much better price. But I looked at the spec sheets for the two, and the frequency...
  16. punkzter

Eico 377 Signal Generator: Repair?

I purchased an Eico 377 signal generator on BT a few years ago, and only now got around to playing around with it. It was sold as-is, so I didn't know if it would work or not. This was fine, as I thought that it would be a great opportunity to inexpensively practice repairing old tube...
  17. punkzter

VTL 2.5: Repair or Scrap

I purchased my VTL 2.5 used on AK about a year ago for $750. It arrived in great shape and I've enjoyed it thoroughly. For $750, it was a splurge, but I expected it to last a long time, so I just paid it. Sadly, about 2 months ago, the unit overheated and blew a fuse. I shipped it to "Quest...
  18. punkzter

System Update

I recently added a VTL 2.5 tube preamp to my system, replacing an Adcom GFP-565. I lost the mono/stereo switch that I liked to use for older mono albums, so I added an external summing switch purchased from a fellow AK'er. I was definitely on the fence about the VTL, and had considered some...
  19. punkzter

Blair Chapman Tube Preamp??? (or other 12au7 recommendations)

Blair Chapman Tube Preamp??? (or vtl 2.5, etc) I've been straddling the edge of wanting to upgrade my preamp for a while now . I'm using an Adcom GFP-565. My budget isn't great. Somewhere between 300-500. I have a great collection of 12AU7 tubes, so I want it to use them. I wondered...
  20. punkzter

Tuner Alignment in Central PA

I found a pretty good deal on a Sansui TU-717. It should arrive in the mail in a few days. I'm guessing that it will need an alignment. I am definitely considering PunkerX, but am a little worried about the shipping aspect. Does anyone know of a good shop in Central Pennsylvania that can...
  21. punkzter

Passive Preamp Issue

I wired up the passive Preamp design found here:http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showpost.php?p=1396851&postcount=4 It worked when running from my cd player to the amp, a magnavox 9304 tube Amp. But, when I tried to run my Haglabs Cornet 3 through the passive, I got no sound, just a hum when...
  22. punkzter

x3workshop - fantastic seller

I had a great experience buying some tubes from Antoine. He was friendly, did a great job packing the tubes, and provided quick communication. Thanks! ~Brad
  23. punkzter

Lots of vintage test equipment

I found this ad this morning: http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/ele/4949377260.html Looks like quite a bit of good test equipment. I'm thinking about the Tektronix Scope...I have a Tek 422, and don't know anything about the 2215. Is there anything else in that lot that is worth considering?
  24. punkzter

Russian 6p14p-k tube question/identification

Hi, I bought some 6p14p-k(?) tubes from a epay seller, and was surprised with one of the -k tubes. What bothers me is that the "getter" on the tube is just a ring. On every other -k tube that I've seen, it's a solid disc. I guess it also bothers me that the tube doesn't test "good" in...
  25. punkzter

Hagerman Piccolo vs Piccolo 2

I'm looking for a LOMC headamp, and will probably end up with a Hagerman Piccolo 2. I do have the opportunity to purchase one of the original Piccolos, and just wondered if anyone has had the opportunity to compare the two. The original Piccolo could probably be had for $200, which is just a...
Back
Top Bottom