Search results

1. Blackburn

Some Empire Turntable History

I think Empires are the baddest turntables ever made and the pinnacle of American turntable manufacturing. Everything about them says I'm bigger and better than you lol.
  2. Blackburn

anyone else running vintage Empire carts?

I know what you mean, but the biggest reason I would LOVE to have the dyna lift is because at least a couple of my records, for whatever reason, have some sort of ramp at the center groove and launch the arm into the air onto the paper. I didn't mention that before. The most general reason is, I...
  3. Blackburn

I posted some pics of my 208 and the original 108 cart with both needles in the Empire history thread. Might as well since this is the Empire cartridge thread....
  4. Blackburn

That's interesting. I'd love to be able to find one without changing the whole arm, but it's a curious topic, the nature of the lift off. Perhaps even looking at another Empire, preferably a 398 with all the upgrades from the 208 and in gold.
  5. Blackburn

Some Empire Turntable History

Here are some shots of my '61 208 with 98 arm and original 108 cart. Excellent condition and even had its original stylus until recently.
  6. Blackburn

I'll keep that in mind. Mine was the last available in white. I think the original was so degraded that an effective comparison isn't possible. I compared it to the original when I got it and they are quite different. The output difference was extreme.
  7. Blackburn

The arm is the 98. My uploaded pic is my actual 208. I've seen a couple 980s on the bay lately and was thinking about grabbing one since I want the dyna lift, though I've been told it pulls the needle off rather aggressively and sometimes before the record is done. Unsure about it since mine...
  8. Blackburn

Magnavox 9304

I'll upload some pics later today if I remember. This thing sure is purdy.
  9. Blackburn

Magnavox 9304

Thanks for all the info. I got mine in on Friday and tried it out. One of the quad was redplating intensely. Funny as it is, that one showed pretty severe signs of over work and I managed to put it in the very socket it must have been in before lol. I replaced both Good Alls with a couple NOS...
  10. Blackburn

Magnavox 9304

Thanks for the info. Nice to note that mine is exactly like the model tested in that thread. I've not yet ordered the OTs and at this point I don't know that I will. Lots of nice things said about the originals. I'll just have to judge for myself. Did you prefer the result using the Edcors over...
  11. Blackburn

Magnavox 9304

I've an all original 9304 chassis with original tubes on its way to me and I'm curious if any folks here have some info on the OTs that came stock with these. I figure on installing some 8K Edcors for what I think will be superior freq response and the multi sec winding. What is the overall...
  12. Blackburn

My '61 208 is all original with the 108 cart. I just replaced what I think is the original needle. Luckily I found one in white and the last one apparently. The arm tracks a tad poorly with both needles on some newer records on the first track and usually ceases after that. I think I'm tracking...
  13. Blackburn

Empire Royal Grenadier 9000M speakers

I'm new to the vast and often hilarious world of hifi and I'm looking at pulling the trigger on a pair of 9000s that I'm hoping are in good functional shape. I love Empire as it is the brand that has been highly touted by my mentor in tube audio. These will be excellent additions to my '61 208...
Back
Top Bottom