Search results

1. Bourbon

The Cheap Cartridge Hall of Fame

I tend to buy cheap cartridges and upgrade them with much better styli. For those of you who operate within a budget, which cartridges you prefer? Let's limit responses for used cartridge prices to $100 or less for the purposes of this thread. In other words, which carts have you bought for...
  2. Bourbon

Jazz album suggestions

I’ve never been into jazz, but this quarantine has me indoors a lot more than usual. So, in my boredom, I decided to watch a few television series on Amazon – one of which was Bosch. After a couple episodes, I noticed the music, and so did my wife. We both liked it and I actually recognized a...
  3. Bourbon

ADC PSX-25??

I just bought one of these p-mount carts online. It's new in the box, but I've never heard of this particular model. Does anyone have any info on it? Will the extra styli I bought for my PSX-30 fit this cartridge?
  4. Bourbon

My new old toys

I got a turntable and a reel-to-reel player for my birthday. My real birthday. Let me explain. In the summer of 1970, my dad was serving in the U.S. Navy aboard the U.S.S. St. Paul, a cruiser deployed in the midst of the Vietnam War. In early August, the St. Paul was anchored in Japan and my...
  5. Bourbon

My first decent pair of headphones

I've owned a couple cheap, crappy pairs of headphones in the past. These were just something I used to pass the time listening to music without disturbing others. I always told myself that I'd buy a decent set when I had a few extra bucks floating around, but I never did...until about a week...
  6. Bourbon

UPDATE: Shure V15 LT stylus???

I've got one of these cartridges, and I'd like to know which was the original stylus. It's either the N35 or N45, but I'm not sure which. I only ask because JICO still has some of the SAS styli in stock, and I'd like to order one. I just need to know which one. This one....or this one?
  7. Bourbon

Albums at auction

I went to an auction today - mostly because there were some albums listed in the auction advertisement. When I got there, I found that there were a LOT of albums for auction. I had the winning bid for the first two lots, $370 total, for what turned out to be 202 albums. Of course, some were...
  8. Bourbon

The P-Mount owners club

P-mount cartridges get a bad rap. However, some of these carts perform quite well. This thread is dedicated to those p-mount carts that are surprisingly good - or bad. Feel free to list the p-mounts that you own, the stylus/styli that you use with it/them, and the table that you have or are...
  9. Bourbon

A cheap receiver for my workshop

I've got a portable building that I use to store my tools and various other stuff. I would like to listen to music while I work. The problem is that I am usually sawing or sanding in the building, so there's a lot of dust floating around. I'm looking for suggestions as to a small receiver...
  10. Bourbon

Marantz recap/rebuild

Over the last few years, I've managed to collect my dream system of vintage Marantz components. Most of them were acquired through ebay, as the selection in my area is relatively thin. Now, I want to have a couple of these pieces recapped/rebuilt (starting with my beloved 2285B), but I don't...
  11. Bourbon

I guess I need more headshells and cartridges...

I found a seemingly great headshell storage case on the 'Bay a couple weeks ago, so I took a chance and bought it. It arrived yesterday and it works great. Now I need to buy more headshells. ;)
  12. Bourbon

AT Model 101 p-mount cartridge

I recently bought a headshell for one of my tables and it came with an AT Model 101 p-mount cartridge. Has anyone used one of these? If so, how does/did it sound? Do you think it would be worth investing in a new stylus such as a ViVid Line?
  13. Bourbon

Grado cartridge for 8MZ stylus?

I've got a Grado Blue p-mount cartridge on one of my Technics tables. It's ok, but I prefer my Pickering XL-33U. However, I've upgraded the stylus on the Grado to the 8MZ, and I'd kinda like to get some use out of it. I'd like to find an old, standard Grado cartridge that will be compatible...
  14. Bourbon

JVC 4MD-20X questions

I bought a turntable a couple months ago and it came with two headshells and cartridges (both needing styli). One was an Empire cartridge, and I replaced the stylus. The other cartridge is a JVC 4MD-20X. I know nothing about this cartridge other than what I've found by searching this site...
  15. Bourbon

Best combination of looks/performance and reliability in a fully automatic vintage turntable?

Yeah, I know...lots of folks frown on fully automatic tables. But after a drink or two, I tend to screw around with things I shouldn't screw around with. That's why I decided to pick up a fully automatic table. However, I wanted it to look and sound good as well. I had (and still have) a...
  16. Bourbon

A matched pair (well, sort of)

I met my friend George (GeoKost) today and picked up my second Technics SL-MA1. It sure sounds great. Here's my "twin sons of different mothers." [/URL][/IMG]
  17. Bourbon

Two thumbs up for mswanson65

I just bought SRV's "Soul to Soul" from Mike. It arrived in better than advertised condition and sounds like it just came off the press. I couldn't be happier. Thanks, Mike!!!!
  18. Bourbon

markshan = A++++

I picked up a copy of Ozzy Osbourne's Tribute to Randy Rhodes from markshan a couple weeks ago. It arrived better than advertised and sounds like it just came off the press. Good communication made the deal absolutely flawless. I couldn't ask for more. Thanks, Mark!
  19. Bourbon

Sansui SR-929

I just picked up one of these. I really don't know much about it other than it's a big, heavy sonofabitch that looks like something Darth Vader would own. I've been Googling and searching this site, but I'm looking for any an all info I can gather. Thanks in advance!
  20. Bourbon

Technics SL-MA1 dust cover

I've got two of these tables. One has the original dust cover, one has a new, clear one. The new one has rounded edges and I like it. I'd like to find out who made it and order another. I've contacted the Turntable Depot and they said that they've never made one. Any suggestions as to where...
  21. Bourbon

Empire 1100MS

I recently picked up one of these with an old Technics turntable. I've been looking for information about it, but haven't found much. Has anyone ever used this cartridge or know anything about it? Would it make a decent backup?
  22. Bourbon

Advice needed on a turntable/changer

Right now, I've got 3 turntables - and a fourth about to be ready to use. I really don't need another table...I want one. I will probably sell one of my Marantz tables to fund the project, so I want relatively equal performance and in the same general price range. I want a table that...
  23. Bourbon

Finally, a vinyl scroe of my own!

I've been reading about the vinyl hauls that some of you have found...green with envy. Over the past few years, I've put together a decent collection of albums, but I've never found a real scroe. Granted, I don't go to garage sales, or such places...until today. I found an estate sale online...
  24. Bourbon

Looking for P-Mount cartridge suggestions

Within the next 2-3 months, I will have another Technics SL-MA1 turntable. As of now, it has no cartridge/stylus. I have a Grado Blue with the 8MZ stylus on my working table, and I really like it. I'm considering a Grado Gold, but am open to suggestions. I definitely want a cartridge in...
  25. Bourbon

JICO SAS shipping confirmation from LPGear

I just got an email confirming shipment of a JICO SAS stylus for my M91ED. For all of you who ordered from them, keep an eye on your email. :banana:
Back
Top Bottom