Search results

1. Mrheem

Compliance Matching & Resonance

Thanks for the replies. And I made an error. The compliance figure I gave for the arm is actually for a particular, high compliance, cartridge designed for that arm (Sony XL-55 Pro). The table is a Sony PS-X9, with the PUA 9 arm. Unfortunately I don't know the effective mass of the arm...
  2. Mrheem

Compliance Matching & Resonance

Hello all. I have a persistent, turntable-based, system resonance problem that causes feedback at around 30-40 hz. (I know this because a parametric eq will subdue it at that frequency). Today I hooked up another turntable into the same system, and the resonance was gone. So I suspect that...
  3. Mrheem

Manley Steelhead a Pair of Neo-250 Power Amps

We have vinyl! Been a month or so with the new equipment, and now playing vinyl. I updated to new interconnects (Bluejeans Cable) between the pre-amp and power amps and subwoofer, as well as a Soundsmith upgraded Denon 103R, and using a KAB unit to control subsonic woofer movement. That is a...
  4. Mrheem

Manley Steelhead a Pair of Neo-250 Power Amps

Well, this is a big departure for me, but I jumped in with both feet, as it were... Circumstances lined up and I was able to get a Manley Steelhead and a pair of Neo-Classic 250 power amps from a Canadian distributor at quite a good price. Always been a solid-state guy (Sony, Bryston, etc.) but...
  5. Mrheem

Tube Mono-Blocks and Subwoofers

Hello all. Momentarily, I'll have 2 Manley Neo-Classic 250s for power amps... My dilemma comes about because I have a REL sub-woofer I wish to connect to them, using the high-level approach... Normally this is no problem with a single amp, but across 2 monos, it seems to get a little tricky...
  6. Mrheem

Mono Blocks and Sub-Woofers

Hello all. Momentarily, I'll have 2 Manley Neo-Classic 250s for power amps... My dilemma comes about because I have a REL sub-woofer I wish to connect to them, using the high-level approach... Normally this is no problem with a single amp, but across 2 monos, it seems to get a little tricky. I...
  7. Mrheem

Songs with a great Bass Line

Best one I know - Road to Ensenata - Lyle Lovett. Huge bass - probably some kind of pedal instrument, can't imagine a bass guitar going that low. Use it all the time to align sub-woofers.
  8. Mrheem

Strangest things found inside your gear?

Found a cordless drill inside a speaker. But then, it was the one I had lost some time earlier when I doing some kind of repair. :banana:
  9. Mrheem

I got nothing to say about this.

So that's how to listen to Britney Spears!! Damn, I never knew. :D
  10. Mrheem

Do you think being charged 80.00 for correctly balancing a TT counterweight/tracking

If you haven't done it yourself before, and, god forbid, break off the cantilever learning how to do it, $80 is going to look pretty cheap... Suggest you watch someone do it to learn the protocol - remember you are dealing with sub 5 grams of force here - ie: very little - so small movements...
  11. Mrheem

Do You Reinforce Your Ikea Record Rack?

I think that the Ikea Expedit was made just for us vinyl fans! Really, it is just the best shelving, and holds a lot of weight. Go for the big one, if you can, and don't forget to pick up a couple of the drawer modules they make that fit in the cubby holes. Nice for small junk related to turntables.
  12. Mrheem

Marantz SA8005

Well, I solved the streaming problem, at least in a Mac environment... I use a IMac, and I have a wired Airport Express close to my CD player, so all that was needed was an optical cable (plugs into the analog out jack on the Airport) between the Airport and the optical input on the player...
  13. Mrheem

Marantz SA8005

I just got a SA8005, and my first experiences are eerily the same as yours, sound-wise... A bit of background - I got into SACD in a big way a few years ago - even bought a Sony SCD-1 to play them... Well, the SCD-1 is gone (never got used to the way it sounded...) and I fell back on my Sony...
  14. Mrheem

before you whine about a cut out hole on an old sealed record....

The only hole/saw cut that bothers me is the one that goes thru the vinyl...:banana:
  15. Mrheem

Audioholic's 10 most influential speakers of all time.

Huh... I agree, more or less, on the last 5, but 1 - 5? Completely off. All of them. Bose?? Give me a break. Where is the Dynaco A25? Altec Model 14/19? Harbeth? Tannoy? I could go on. :thumbsdn:
  16. Mrheem

Does playing Xmas carols 24/7 damage a new amp, still being broken in?

Oh yes, it will. Research has shown repeatedly that Xmas carols can place severe stress on downstream components. Make sure that you periodically relieve this stress with a proper dose of Mantovani or, even better, Lawrence Welk. Can't be too careful...:lmao:
  17. Mrheem

Anyone else disgusted with new Blue Note pressings?!

Drop a line to David Foster at Blue Note and tell him. He's a musician, so should be properly offended. After all he is the Prez...
  18. Mrheem

Anybody using gear 30+ years old that hasn't been restored?

Most all the gear I use is 30 years old, at least, and hasn't been restored. Mostly high-end Sony preamps, turntables, and a couple of power amps. All work perfectly, to my ears, when matched to vintage JBL. But I am going to restore a vintage Yamaha M-85 power amp next year thru Legendary...
  19. Mrheem

digital scale or balance beam?

Digital. Balance beams are a guess, at best. Don't waste your time with one.
  20. Mrheem

What's the silliest/funniest thing your puddy-tat does?

Our manx likes to walk up on my chest when I am asleep and drink the 'tear-water' from below my left eye. (Old injury damaged tear duct...) Try waking up to that! Out of focus nose and the faint feeling that something is licking you very gently. But he is very gentle cat, and never kills more...
  21. Mrheem

What's your username mean?

Character from Hunter Thompson's Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas... Always liked the name.
  22. Mrheem

Tom Magliozzi deceased at 77.

Very sad. Together they were the fastest, funniest, smartest people I ever heard on radio. Very compassionate, too. End of an era.
  23. Mrheem

XiangSheng 728A. What gives?

Why is it we are hypnotized by low price, even trying to 'explain it away' by fabricating reasons why it could be possible to achieve such inexpensive goodness with the use of 'price conscious' components... There is no magic here. No wondrous fabrication process that turns lead into gold... If...
  24. Mrheem

Collections: What Do You Have That Is NON-Audio related?

I have 13+ vintage computer systems from the early-mid 80s sitting in a closet. Currently it's vinyl. 'Hill-Country', as I call it. Working on Chet Atkins and Doc/Merle Watson collections right now, with various other old-time artists coming in as I discover their music. Porter Wagoner, Carter...
Back
Top Bottom