Search results

1. R

tweaking music tags to work with Tesla

Yes, that's absolutely the issue.
  2. R

TeslaTunes looks like a possible solution, but it seems buggy (specifically in dealing with .AIF and .AIFF files). On further experience, I'm afraid TeslaTunes is worthless, at least if you have .AIF or .AIFF files. It just copies them over, but they aren't playable by the Tesla. It also...
  3. R

I've been trying to put my iTunes library into an SSD to listen to in our Tesla, and there's one significant problem. It doesn't read the tags properly. If the "Artist" tag is not the same for every song on an album, the car's media player treats it as multiple albums. If it's a...
  4. R

which Mac Mini to upgrade media server ?

I think you're right. But it seems like even USB 2.0 (something like 400 Mbit/sec) should be faster than this. It's taking 23 hours for a 10 GByte file. Anyhow, per my original question, there's probably not much point in getting a newer Mini.
  5. R

which Mac Mini to upgrade media server ?

I'm currently running a mid-2010 Mac Mini as my media server (headless, using Screen Sharing with my Air laptop). Mostly hosting my music collection on iTunes, and also some movies with VLC. Using the digital audio out to the standalone DAC in my stereo system. I'm actually pretty content...
  6. R

screen-sharing to MacMini stops working, reboot fixes

I've achieved some capability at disassembling the Mac Mini, in the process of replacing my HDD with the SSD I salvaged out of the broken one I bought (see above). Does that process (removing the wifi antenna, fan & cowling, and memory) expose the GPU chip ?
  7. R

I stumbled across another option, $15 at a neighborhood forsale site. Bought this wireless-to-USB-dongle keyboard, and it seems to work great (in preliminary testing). https://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Wireless-Media-Keyboard-N9Z-00001/dp/B00TQUX6XI?th=1 It's $30 or so, and there's also a...
  8. R

Another thing I had to do, when I wasn't seeing the Mini media server in the Finder sidebar (and I THINK this may've worked when it was in the sidebar, but wouldn't connect): use the Finder Go dropdown and click ConnectToServer (or command-K), and enter vnc://192.168... (the IP address of the Mini).
  9. R

Kinda of a wash I guess, roughly $100 each way. Deciding factor was repair videos, and replacing the optical looked like a real PITA, just swapping the logic board a bit less so - but maybe I have that wrong. Few other things: - it has 8GB of RAM, mine has 4GB (although I'm not really sure...
  10. R

Apparently, resetting the PRAM/NVRAM fixed the problem ! (Knock on wood). Gonna buy a used Mini, $100 - same vintage, mid-2010 - that apparently has a 500GB SSD and a working optical drive (mine hardly works any more), but doesn't work right, the guy saying "genius bar" told him it was the...
  11. R

Actually, no; still bad. I don't think it was sleep-related anyhow, because I've tried turning on the TV that it's connected to, and it's driving the screen, a static desktop image at least. I tried resetting the PRAM/NVRAM, we'll see how it handles that. I thought of upgrading to...
  12. R

Seems like resetting the SMC might have fixed it, almost certainly improved it. Thanks.
  13. R

Wifi, with a router right in the A/V area. I think the network is pretty solid. The problem isn't so much with screen-sharing sessions crashing, as it is that I go to start a session after not having used screen-sharing for a day or more, and it won't connect.
  14. R

I have a mid-2010 Mac Mini set up as a "headless" media server in my A/V system. I connect to it using screen sharing from my laptop (2017 Macbook Air running High Sierra) - specifically, I select it in the Finder sidebar and then click the "share screen" button. In SystemPrefs->Sharing on...
  15. R

trying to idiot-proof my MacMini music server setup

Hell no ! Don't want to jinx things either. Even on my main laptop, I don't see anything in Mojave that I care about.
  16. R

BitPerfect is indeed the culprit. After months of rock-solid stability just running iTunes without BitPerfect, I enabled BitPerfect; within hours, it was doing things like repeating sections of a song over and over. Email with BitPerfect confirms my suspicion, though they lay the blame at...
  17. R

Sorry, not really, You are much more into interconnecting a bunch of stuff, easy backups, etc. I just want it to work in my listening room, nothing networked or anything. I agree the ATV4K remote sucks, but simply for its physical design. When you are holding it in your hand, you have no...
  18. R

So I kinda gave up on this for awhile, but the fact is, my system has been extremely stable for the last couple months. I'm convinced more than ever that BitPerfect is the culprit.
  19. R

I've thought of connecting the Mini to the same switched outlets that my power amps (tube monoblocks) are on; set to automagically reboot after a "power failure". So when I switch on the system, the Mini reboots. That would circumvent my issue with BitPerfect/iTunes hanging, because it...
  20. R

Mostly using Finder-sidebar screen-sharing (from OSX laptop) and it's working fine. iTunes remote from iPad seems pretty reliable too. If iTunes has hung (apparently due to interaction with BitPerfect as I describe above), neither connects, of course. My Mini has an optical drive, which I...
  21. R

It's me again. My setup is pretty stable now ... unless I try to run BitPerfect. Then it tends to hang overnight. I have to Force Quit iTunes. Apparently this is a somewhat known problem: http://bitperfectsound.blogspot.com/2017/10/itunes-1270-crashing.html Or maybe not, because I'm...
  22. R

You're right, and thanks for the detailed instructions. I might do that someday, but car audio is not a real high priority for me now. Naturally I rip my CDs lossless (AIFF) for home playback in what I think I can call an audiophile system, but I honestly believe one cannot tell the...
  23. R

Sounds like you have it more dialed-in than me, honestly. But FWIW here's some notes I made to myself. Like I said, I like to do it manually as much as reasonable, because evidently the Apple stuff thinks it's smarter than me and knows what's best for me ... Probably want to use "Manually...
  24. R

No, it just sits with all my other A/V stuff; it's pretty tiny, as you know. I'm not sure what you mean by interactivity problems ? I know I decided to do iPod syncing completely manually; sometimes it seems like Apple's user-friendliness just makes things difficult - sometimes I think I'm...
  25. R

I have an old remote, the tiny silver one that came with my 2ndgen ATV, and it will change volume (up/down buttons) and skip to the next song (in whatever playlist I'm in) with the right button. But that's about it, the "menu" button does nothing either - so not that useful for general control...
Back
Top Bottom