Search results

1. xs650shawn

Kenwood KD-3055 spinning too fast

Delete
  2. xs650shawn

Reference by Quadraflex 650 FET R

Just picked this up. Haven't had time for a full test, but anxious to do so. Not bad cosmetically, but selector switch will need some work to keep the knob on. Read good things about these.
  3. xs650shawn

New Hum Album- vinyl or CD

So who's getting the new Hum album, Inlet? First album in 22 years (they beat Tool!). Stoked! Currently going back and forth on vinyl or cd. I like both formats, but with modern recording processes (I searched online and found nothing on how they recorded it, analog or digital), would it be...
  4. xs650shawn

Technics SL-20 questions

I might go look at a Technics SL-20, mainly because it is cheap. I know this was a fully manual entry level table, so I'm not expecting it to be better than my PL-514. But would it be on par or better than a modern entry level table, such as a U-turn? I would be buying it mainly just to mess...
  5. xs650shawn

MCS 3285 followed me home

Picked up a MCS 3285 today. Everything works, plastic tabs that retain the face portion of the power button are broken. I'm thinking I might be able to fix it with a spring mounted behind it, will have to look at it more. This thing is a beast though. Easily the biggest one I've dragged home...
  6. xs650shawn

Cheap bookshelf speakers

Currently eyeballing two sets of cheap bookshelf speakers, well, just because. I am oddly intrigued by the Insigna NS-B2111, currently only available used. I also am intrigued by the Micca MB42x speakers. Neither are local, so can't audition. Mostly raves about the Miccas, Insignias seem hit or...
  7. xs650shawn

Pioneer PL 514 hum

I've noticed lately that my PL 514 has had a hum, more than usual. I do not believe it to be an electrical or grounding issue, as it is grounded, and there is no hum if the stylus isn't lowered. To test, I removed the belt, and put the stylus down on a record, not spinning. No hum through...
  8. xs650shawn

Athena AS-F2 speakers

Any thoughts on these? I'm checking out a pair today, not familiar with them. Read decent online reviews, just wondering if anybody here has any real world experience with them.
  9. xs650shawn

Panasonic Boombox with changer

Picked up this boombox at a GW yesterday. Panasonic RX-DS750. Didn't think anything special about it, but it seemed to function properly. Was exchanging a Denon DVD player that had no audio output, this was the only thing remotely interesting. Thought the CD Storage door was a bit odd. When I...
  10. xs650shawn

Klipsch Sub 10

Recently picked up a Klipsch Sub 10 at a thrift for $15. Works, needs a cosmetic rehab on the enclosure though. Found out why it made it to a thrift store today. Gain doesn't stay consistent. I pulled the amp, sprayed the gain and crossover pots with Deoxit. Still no bueno. With pot turned all...
  11. xs650shawn

Technics ST-8044 No Output

Picked up a Technics ST-8044 from the swap meet yesterday. Fairly clean cosmetically, inside is spotless. Looks like it has never been opened. Passed the dim bulb tester. Hooked it up to my JVC integrated, and got no sound. Just to verify, also hooked it up to my Technics receiver, in both the...
  12. xs650shawn

JVC AX-5 Back Home

Finally got my AX-5 back home. Local AV shops said they wouldn't work on it, because of "lack of parts". Found a shop about 40 miles from home willing to look at it. At first was quoted that it would take a few weeks, but less than a week later I got a call, saying it was done. Picked it up...
  13. xs650shawn

JVC AX-5 issues

So I finally got around to really running this AX-5. Good sounding unit, but has some problems. First, no sound through any of the phono inputs. Switched between MM/MC (plugs and switch), nothing. Not sure if that indicates a blown phono preamp or what. Balance is also off, with the right...
  14. xs650shawn

My System As It Currently Stands

Recently bought a new house, had to rearrange the system a bit. Got rid of the 4x4 Expedit, have a 2x3 unit now. Pioneer PL-516 has replaced my PL-514X. Technics is holding down the fort until I can get my JVC AX-5 running decent. Gear: Technics SA-5370 JVC XL-M97 Pioneer PL-516 MCS 8320...
  15. xs650shawn

PL-516 Thrift score

Got this from a local thrift this weekend. For a grand sum of $14.99, I couldn't pass it up. Seems to function, though I haven't really been able to do anything beyond plug it in and manually move the arm through. Needs a belt, but the motor works. Three of the screws for the plate under the...
  16. xs650shawn

Thread replies disappeared?

Posted a thread in Solid State titled "So I want to build an 80's system...". Had 13 (very helpful) replies in it. I tried posting an update in it this morning, and my reply would not post. When I look at it again tonight, all the replies are gone, only my original post remains. What gives?
  17. xs650shawn

So I want to build an 80's vintage system....

Looking at building an 80's vintage system. Don't know why, other than interest in building a system with components available used when I was in high school. Plus I think some of the 80's stuff looked cool, not elegant or classy like 70's silver equipment, but cool nonetheless. Also want to...
  18. xs650shawn

Built some speaker stands!

Built some speaker stands out of 1/2" MDF I had lying around. Wow, did wonders for the bass response and imaging. Should've don this sooner. Now just have to paint them black.
  19. xs650shawn

JVC XL-M97 issue

Bought this JVC XL-M97 6 disc cd changer at a local thrift store. Get it home to test, and all seems to work well, sounds wonderful (at least to me). But occasionally, it will seem to get stuck trying to change trays, sometimes while trying to return a tray, other times trying to pull one. Not...
  20. xs650shawn

MCS Speaker questions

Picked these up today. MCS 683-8320 "Linear Phase" speakers. Excellent cosmetic condition, and actually pretty good sounding, at least to my ears! One question though. I know they are not high-end. I know MCS components were made by various manufacturers, and these look like some Technics...
  21. xs650shawn

Coral BX 1410's an upgrade?

Someone locally selling a pair of Coral BX-1410 speakers, for a decent price and look to be in good condition. Haven't checked them out yet, but what is the concensus here? Would they be an upgrade from my Sony SS-MF400 H speakers, which sound really decent imo, but I think are truly home...
  22. xs650shawn

Technics SP-CR77 an upgrade?

Looking at a pair on CL. Was wondering if these would be an upgrade from what I currently have, which are Sony SS-MF400H 3 ways. I haven't listened to the Technics yet. I know they were generic rack speakers. Looking for something bigger on a budget, as the Sony's seems to run out of steam...
  23. xs650shawn

passed up an onkyo integra-stupid?

Was at a local thrift yesterday. Had an Onkyo Integra 8190. Don't know anything about this model. Was dirty, but complete. Powered up, not sure of anything further. Passed it up though. Reason? Not price, let's just say I would've easily walked out with it based on that. Busted speaker selector...
  24. xs650shawn

Pioneer SX500- Pioneer gurus help

Had posted about this in the solid state forum, but didn't get much love. Hoping here in the Pioneer forum the gurus will be able to help me resurrect this. Picked up an SX550 for cheap. Had plans to redo the "wood" sides in hardwood, maybe make a complete wood surround, maybe add some more...
  25. xs650shawn

Anyone have any experience with BIC RtR1530's?

Saw these BIC RtR 1530's on PE's website. Seems to review well, with a sweet price, but was wondering if anyone here has actually heard them. Looking to upgrade my Sony SS-MF400H's. Listen mainly to rock, but also other genre's as well. Power from a Technics SA5370, 48 wpc. Probably a bit...
Back
Top Bottom