Search results

1. ejman

What to pair with a Fosi Audio ZA3?

I bet that sounds really good. The Fosi amps (V3 and ZA3) seem to really benefit from using a tube preamp as a front end in my opinion. I think that is because the Fosi's are so neutral sounding that they benefit from the "color" that a tube preamp adds in.
  2. ejman

Which “inexpensive” speakers were you blown away by?

Form my office desktop setup I like my Paradigm Atoms (the old ones V2) powered by a puny EL34 SEP. For my bedroom system ancient old large Advents powered by a Marantz 1060 very tasty.
  3. ejman

Fosi V3 Not Loud

Yeah, the clarity this amp is able to deliver (without harshness) is probably its most outstanding feature. You might be able to get a bit more power with two ZA3's (running in mono) but it's only a marginal improvement power wise. Which Carver amps do you have?
  4. ejman

Workshop Integrated Amplifier - $19.95!

I've been using one in my shop for years now with a pair of junk speakers and it works just fine. I don't know about the 20 watt rating though maybe at 10% distortion for a millisecond :)
  5. ejman

Fosi V3 Not Loud

The Fosi V3 (and the ZA3) have relatively low gain and a logarithmic taper volume control so setting the volume at 50% doesn't mean you are getting 50% power or anything like that. The first half to 3/4 of rotation increases volume very slowly depending on the sensitivity of your speakers. I...
  6. ejman

Fosi Audio ZA3 - Initial Review

These Fosi amps have fairly low gain and a logarithmic volume taper so as was said above the volume control at 50% doesn't mean 50% power. The V3 (and the Za3) connected to my Maggies ( 1.7's ) can sound as loud as I can stand it but I run them from a tube preamp (Fosi volume set at max). I...
  7. ejman

Since there is a volume control in the V3/Za3 simply lower the Fosi's volume to where the FX-01 volume control becomes more useful. The gain on the FX-01 is just way too much for many "normal" power amps and the steps too wide- one step volume too low, next step too high..
  8. ejman

My experience has been that the Fosi (both V3 and Za3) sound better with a preamp feeding the Fosi with the Fosi's volume full up (i.e using it as a power amp). Feeding the source direct to it sounds a bit dry and with diminished dynamics to my ears but a tube preamp really makes it blossom...
  9. ejman

Class D Wow!

Wilsenton Labs (a Youtuber) tested a Za3 with the following results (at 1 Khz) into 4 ohms 48 volt 5 amp PS. Stereo Mode: 1% distortion - 177/174 watts Clipping - 187/183 watts Burst (whatever that means) - 196/204 watts Mono Mode: 1% distortion - 193 watts Clipping - 214 watts Burst - 210...
  10. ejman

Class D Wow!

I think you are right in that these very inexpensive chip amps will rearrange a lot of beliefs on the need of ultra expensive amplification in order to get good sound. It's certainly rearranging mine! Of course, those that appreciate audio jewelry will dismiss them as do those that appreciate...
  11. ejman

RIP Jim Winey of Magnepan.

I've been listening to Maggies since 1980 (MGI Imp) which I still have doing HT duties. Currently my main system speakers are 1.7's. Thank you so much Mr. Winey for bringing so much wonderful sounding music to so many. Rest In Peace.
  12. ejman

I've been listening to my V3 powering my Magneplanar 1.7's with the assist of a ZA3(in mono mode) powering an ancient HSU subwoofer for quite a while now and have no motivation at all to go back to my many times more expensive Conrad Johnson amp or my KT 150 tube amp. My usual measure for a new...
  13. ejman

Yes, it is amazing isn't it? The plan that's kind of taking place for me is that I'll continue to listen to the Fosi for a few more weeks - see how it and the sound holds up. Then put my original amps back on for a while (both the SS - Conrad Johnson BTW and alternate with tube amp and then...
  14. ejman

THD...Can you hear it now?

I think the audibility of distortion depends on the frequency and the harmonic content of the distortion. Even high levels of 2nd harmonic distortion in the low bass at 5-10% may be difficult for most untrained listeners to discern while 1% of 5 or 7th harmonic in the low to mid treble would...
  15. ejman

RCA Audio Cable Recommendations

I use and like the the Blue Jeans cable BJC-LC1 built in Seattle, Washington Although some folks say that's a foreign country.
  16. ejman

Interesting that there is a significant improvement in dynamics with the dual mono. My understanding is that there isn't much more power available when the ZA3 is used as a mono amp vs stereo. I wonder what drives the increase in dynamics?
  17. ejman

Aiyima A07 Review

Totally blown by your metal working skills. When someone asked for pictures of the case you were working on I was expecting a cigar box or something like that.... Wow.
  18. ejman

Fosi Audio BT20A Pro, is it a real amp?

I would think that my Magneplanar 1.7's rate somewhere near the bottom of the list of inefficient 4 ohm speakers and I can tell you that the Fosi V3 sounds mighty fine with them (48 volt 5 amp PS). I also have the Fosi Za3 and it sounds to my ears a tiny bit "sharper" than the V3. Dunno if it...
  19. ejman

Hooking up turntable directly to speakers

Of course its possible. Will you get any sound? - a Big NO on that. The cartridge on the turntable puts out millivolts so no go. Even if your turntable has a phono preamp built in still the output is 1/2 of one volt so again no go. So plug the turntable into a receiver, the speakers to the...
  20. ejman

Any cool audio related Christmas gifts?

I use a Rolls SX95 crossover. I actually set the crossover at 36 HZ (My Magneplanars go down to about 40 HZ) since the Rolls has a 12 db/octave slope and I figured there would be plenty of signal above the 36 Hz nominal cut. I wish it had a steeper slope but I haven't been able to find an...
  21. ejman

Any cool audio related Christmas gifts?

I got a Fosi V3 to power my Magneplanar 1.7 and a Fosi ZA3 to power my ancient HSU HRSW12V subwoofer- Great sound!
  22. ejman

I received mine yesterday and just as you experienced, when I first turned it on got this blast of bright etched sound and was thinking oh rats I made a mistake thinking it would be as good sounding as the V3. But as it plays it is leaning more and more in the V3 direction but not quite there...
  23. ejman

Yeah, the wheels are a'cranking - I got several big heavy power hungry SS AB amps (and one tube amp with KT 150 tubes) in use around the house. I'm going to try that ZA3 for a while and then, if it holds up, decisions will have to be made. It will be interesting to see if other old farts like...
  24. ejman

Class A, AB vs latest Class D amps? How close is Class D?

I probably won't be alive in 10 years so I decided to try one of those Fosi V3 amps with the 48 volt supply on my Magneplanar 1.7. My usual amp is a 50# Conrad Johnson that runs class A to about 30 watts and heats up quite nicely to prove it. You know what? the Fosi sounds freaking amazing...
  25. ejman

I just bought one of these to power an HSU passive subwoofer (the ancient barrel 12 inch model). My intention is to run the output from my tube preamp to a Rolls subwoofer crossover and from the crossover to the input of the Za3 set to mono and the subwoofer connected to the mono speaker output...
Back
Top Bottom